Thread: Tell us more...

Tell us more...

I've often wondering, as I am sure many of you have, if there are other things that some of us do. I've started another thread about what people do as a profession on here, but I think it would be cool if we all could post some things about us that are perhaps unique to us or just something interesting about us.

For example: I've been able to work on a few movies that have been filmed in Pittsburgh. They are: THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES, WONDER BOYS, THE BREAD MY SWEET (which was released under a difference name WEDDING FOR BELLA). While I didn't have any major impact on these movies it was cool meeting Richard Gere, who was a really nice dude and bought everyone lunch a few times at Quaker Steak. I thought he was going to be more stuck-up, but was quite down to earth. I also met Katie Holmes, Scott Baio, Michael Douglas (really awesome dude) and Robert Downey Jr.

Ahhh . . . drawing a blank nothin' 'cept I have the best dang HT/stereo round thes parts!

On my job I have met Ray Charles, Liona Boyd, Ron Maclean (Hockey Night in Canada), Craig Oliver (CTV national news), Roy Romanow (former Premier of Saskatchewan) Jim Munsen (Senator, former CTV National news ), Rankin Family, Base of Bass not Ace of Bass and the keyboardist from Trooper.

Also may have met AC/DC from hotel when they were in city a few years back. They claimed the were RCMP recruits but that was BS cause they had Austrailian accents.
    Last edited by Wireworm5; 04-12-2007 at 05:16 PM.

I have been in a few movies also. You may recognize some of the titles as Christmas morning, Easter Egg Hunt, Son's first Birthday and Camping with the kids. All of these just had family members in them but they were big hits with us.

I'm not so sure anyone else will find this interesting but these are the things I have done over the years.

I am retired after 32 years and 3 months working for South Central Bell. Some of my interests were archery which I have taught to hundreds of Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts over many years and then there is Dog Obedience classes that I taught for years and Karate which I taught for about 5 years.

I also have a 1000 sq. ft. well equipped woodworking shop in my yard that I like to build things in but haven't had the chance since Hurricane Katrina came for a visit. I also have a couple of Nikon F's cameras with FTN meters on that I have enjoyed taking pictures with for the last forty years and a new 8 megapixel camera that I like to take pictures with now.

I also played clarinet and saxophone until I lost an argument with my table saw and trimmed a few fingers. As you might guess writing has never been among my list of hobbies. I think besides playing on the computer, playing with my grandsons are fairly much on the top of my list now, Jeff

NOTE.....
    I really didn't think that I had to mention the fact that I enjoyed messing with my home theater and music system.
    I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days...Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days. I just refuse to have bad ones!!!, Jeff

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    That's cool, I really dug the Mothman Prophecies.

I got nuthin'. I have friends who were extras on Mars Attacks! and Shadow Conspiracy, but that's about the closest I get. I was going to try to be an extra a couple times, but I have a feeling I'd be rejected -- I would stand out from the background too much (long-haired males and all).
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I purchased most of the equipment IBM used when they beat the top chess master in the world.
    Also purchased much of the equipment & film used by a director who made many of the Nova flicks.
    Had a winner of a Nobel prize hold the door open for me one day.
    Won lots of pool tournaments.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Archery...

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    I have been in a few movies also. You may recognize some of the titles as Christmas morning, Easter Egg Hunt, Son's first Birthday and Camping with the kids. All of these just had family members in them but they were big hits with us.

I'm not so sure anyone else will find this interesting but these are the things I have done over the years.

I am retired after 32 years and 3 months working for South Central Bell. Some of my interests were archery which I have taught to hundreds of Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts over many years and then there is Dog Obedience classes that I taught for years and Karate which I taught for about 5 years.

I also have a 1000 sq. ft. well equipped woodworking shop in my yard that I like to build things in but haven't had the chance since Hurricane Katrina came for a visit. I also have a couple of Nikon F's cameras with FTN meters on that I have enjoyed taking pictures with for the last forty years and a new 8 megapixel camera that I like to take pictures with now.

I also played clarinet and saxophone until I lost an argument with my table saw and trimmed a few fingers. As you might guess writing has never been among my list of hobbies. I think besides playing on the computer, playing with my grandsons are fairly much on the top of my list now, Jeff

NOTE.....
    I really didn't think that I had to mention the fact that I enjoyed messing with my home theater and music system.
    You made me think of something else that I should have mentioned. I compete in various archery competition and sharp-shooter skills contests with my bow. I don't hunt at all, but I love the sport of archery and last year was able to beat my previous record in which case I was able to group 5 arrows withing a 2 inch square from 50 yards. At close distances I can't shoot more than 1-2 arrows as I will hit my own arrows. I also have a strange sorta demented fantasy that one day I have to defend myself for my life and my only weapon is my bow&arrows. I guess that stuff only happens in the movies though....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    You made me think of something else that I should have mentioned. I compete in various archery competition and sharp-shooter skills contests with my bow. I don't hunt at all, but I love the sport of archery and last year was able to beat my previous record in which case I was able to group 5 arrows withing a 2 inch square from 50 yards. At close distances I can't shoot more than 1-2 arrows as I will hit my own arrows. I also have a strange sorta demented fantasy that one day I have to defend myself for my life and my only weapon is my bow&arrows. I guess that stuff only happens in the movies though....lol.
    I can believe getting all five arrows in a target at fifty yards because I have done that at seventy but to put them in a group!!!!! I'd like to see that!

I had a very good bow, among many other things, that got ruined by going under salt water during hurricane Katrina. Between having to lay out the money for another good bow and having had a shoulder operation on each shoulder I think my shooting days are over. I did enjoy giving a shooting demonstration each year at Scout Camp.

I will have to say if you really can group arrows like that your abilities much surpassed mine, Jeff
    I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days...Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days. I just refuse to have bad ones!!!, Jeff

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Something unique about me? hmmmm... Not much really. I enjoy photography and in the past 2 years have been doing more digital. Like Jeff I started out with mechanical Nikon's and have used Hasselblads at the studio where I was employed. I find it interesting when photographers from different eras talk technique. I learned to compose and expose carefully so printmaking is easier. This was before computers and image manipulation of the digital age. I still use the old techniques to create a good image.

I also enjoy traveling and for souvenirs I try to purchase a painting, engraving or print from a local artist. I would rather have that then a mug. I do frame and mount some of my favorite travel photo's along with the collected art. Someone was over one day and they liked one of my photo's of Quebec City. I said "I took that one of the first years we went to the city". She said "oh I thought it was art".

The truly unique things I will save for another site.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    Well I wouldn't say I'm interesting, but can't say I'm boring either. I'm an adrenaline junky that's in the process of getting my skydiving license,love whitewater,climbing. I have my own construction company, mostly residential remodeling. I'm 28, married 5 years with a wonderful 4 y/o son who is the light of my life. Since getting married and becoming a father I have less time for the more extreme things and find myself wanting to spend more time just relaxing in my own home. I love video games and movies. I am by far not an audiophile and have little knowledge in regards to specs and the technical aspects of the whole audio/video scene YET. However since I'm just starting to build my first real HT I have every intention of doing as much research and learning as much as I can. Anytime I spend large amounts of money (system budget being around $10k) I tend to learn as much as possible to make an educated purchase. So all of you will probably get tired of my novice questions buy the time next year comes and you all finally help me complete my new system. I have to say, that in the short time I've been here, you all have been very helpful and more mature then most other forums that I've posted on. I look foward to getting to know some of you better and learning as much as I can. Thanks again

Thread Information