Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tell me about your favorite listening chair.

I'm planning to move to a 2 Bedroom apartment in the beginning of the next year. Well, I'm sick of having my gears in my livingroom, so I plan to turn the masterbedroom in my a dedicated music room. I'm hoping that it will at least be 14'X12'. So that shouldnt be too hard or expensive to find.

The way I like listening to music is laying down. It sounds better sitting up in the middle of the couch, but I always end up laying down. So I'm basically facing 90degrees away from my speakers.

So what do you guys use?

I do like the idea of having a recliner but I really dont want to get one that has a headrest any higher than my ear level. I'm looking for some for me and maybe one more for the ladies.

Should I go for somem like this? Hot Babe not included..

http://www.furniturerow.com/group_de...a_mart/id/199/

Share us a picture of your favorite chair.

Thanks

Ikea POÄNG

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I'm planning to move to a 2 Bedroom apartment in the beginning of the next year. Well, I'm sick of having my gears in my livingroom, so I plan to turn the masterbedroom in my a dedicated music room. I'm hoping that it will at least be 14'X12'. So that shouldnt be too hard or expensive to find.

The way I like listening to music is laying down. It sounds better sitting up in the middle of the couch, but I always end up laying down. So I'm basically facing 90degrees away from my speakers.

So what do you guys use?

I do like the idea of having a recliner but I really dont want to get one that has a headrest any higher than my ear level. I'm looking for some for me and maybe one more for the ladies.

Share us a picture of your favorite chair.

Thanks
    I use an Ikea POÄNG (in leather as pictured below) with matching foolstool. I'm tall enough that my ears are above the headrest.

The POÄNGs are very confortable. They are also durable and relatively cheap -- so you can affort a second "for the ladies".

Attached Images Attached Images  

well, I don't have it*, I did sit in it once, it was the most relaxing chair ever...

http://www.vitra.com/products/home/l...asp?lang=il_en

* add: I don't think that many people have it, let alone have the money...
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

vitra does have cheaper things too, and they all sit very good.
    but the chair I linked too in the previous post, starts at $5000 and goes all the way up to $8000 or something.
    I do think it would be a good match with your speakers jra
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Mutant from table 9
    Unfortunately, some of us are married, so we have to make compromises.
    That giant bean bag is actually pretty sweet. My roommate had one in college. Unfortunately, this is what you have to look forward to in post college married life:

http://www.ethanallen.com/jsp/univer...5&subSelect=10
    Wait, it gets better; mine is yellow.

This is what I want though: http://www.ethanallen.com/jsp/univer...5&subSelect=7# It is one of the most comfortable chairs ever.

I (the wife) personally likes the natuzzi line up we have the model shown, just in a different colour. we have light green, but lets be honest its not as relaxed as one of those been super sack chairs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

Thank guys.

Ikea always have great stuff for sensible price. I love that site. But I'm only 5'10" and I'm looking to really CHILLAX For my livingroom, I'll be calling Ikea, but not in my paradise. Thanks anyway Bill and beest wishes to you on vinyl conversion.

Bastie, thanks for that link. Looks great, but yeah. Hit me up with a PM dude.

Slumpy, I'm sorry to hear about your Sofa, But man, that recliner looks like something I can chillax in. Kinda expensive for jra doe..

Icarus - The one in the picture looks great. Unfortunately I will always be laying on it sideways. Maybe just a single seater.

I dont need to be making this decision real soon, but it;s starting to give me a headache. Damn it...

-JRA

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    here's my vinyl club chair I got a few years ago for $10 at a neighbor's yard sale. It's comfortable and it sits low which is perfect for my 5'7" errr.. 5' 6 1/2" frame (us short folks always fudge a little). Most importantly, it has loads of character. When cleaning it up, I found a 3-page, hand-written sermon under the seat cushion. The pic is from my old house. It's still my listening chair for my stereo system set up in the extra bedroom of new home. I would probably get kicked out if I tried to bring it into the living room for tv watching.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tell me about your favorite listening chair.-chair.jpg  

Dean!!!

That looks awesome. That is kind of pictures I was hoping to see people post on this thread. I used to have a chair like that. I miss it so much, I feel like crying...

I'm really sick of livign with crappy beyond-used furniture, but that looks pretty good and really inviting. And I can tell you from years and years of experience(trust me I'm an expert when it comes to thrift store furnitures), they are THE most comfortable things on earth. It's like used audio gears, none of that break-in periods.
    I guess what I will have to do is to take my time and look for yardsales in a decent neighborhood. I would need an ottoman with that chair though.

If you guys got pictures of your listening chair, keep'em coming please.

Thanks,

J da Thriftophile

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Thanks, J. When my dog was a puppy, she made the hole at the end of the arm with her teeth. I slapped some duct tape on it. My dog also likes to hide her treats in my chair while I'm at work. She likes the chair. My wife, on the other hand, is always asking when I'm gonna get a new one.

I know the *perfect* chair seems like the ideal, but consider beyond the critical listening context. One thing I love to do from time to time is take a nap while listening to some great music, so consider a comfy couch. That way you have your "chair" and a place to nap to music. Unless of course you're one of those fall asleep in front of the tv type guys.

I dont need to be giving music a critical listen all the time. I just wanna be able to listen to music in the most relaxing thing without ending up sideways facing the other wall. I know this sounds crazy, but when I end up laying down on the couch, I prefer not to have backrest right next to one of my ears. I dont mind falling asleep to music on CD. Since I dont have a semi-auto TT, maybe I should get a timer.

At this point, I'm leaning towards that sack. I bet it'll work as a pretty decent acoustic tamer too.

BTW, I can't remember the last time I slept in my bed. I'm a couch kinda guy.

-JRA

Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    I know the *perfect* chair seems like the ideal, but consider beyond the critical listening context. One thing I love to do from time to time is take a nap while listening to some great music, so consider a comfy couch. That way you have your "chair" and a place to nap to music. Unless of course you're one of those fall asleep in front of the tv type guys.
    I often nap on my bed -- that's what the bedroom systems are for. I'll admit, though, I ought to upgrade from those Radio Shack Minimus 7's.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I use an Ikea POÄNG (in leather as pictured below) with matching foolstool. I'm tall enough that my ears are above the headrest.

The POÄNGs are very confortable. They are also durable and relatively cheap -- so you can affort a second "for the ladies".

We do agree on at least one thing. I have a POANG as my listening chair. It's even better with the matching ottoman. I sometimes fall asleep in it. How's that as a testimony to comfort?
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

For sure

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    We do agree on at least one thing. I have a POANG as my listening chair. It's even better with the matching ottoman. I sometimes fall asleep in it. How's that as a testimony to comfort?
    Yep, the POÄNG have been Ikea's catalogue forever -- 30 years at least. One of those things that doesn't need to be reinvented. I dose off all too often myself -- kills my neck, though: I've got cervical disc problems.

footstool = ottoman

Mmmmmm... ..... ......... ...........

Maybe trying to find an end-piece of a sectional in clearance section is the best way to go.

JRA

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    You'd hate my chair. It's straightback, upright, yet I find it very comfortable. It's from Yield House, and they call come with duck patterns on the upholstery, so my ex has got me calling it the "duck chair", but I'm sure it has a real name. I spoke with her recently, and she said something about it being a weird combination of "Mission" with something else, "Queen Anne", perhaps?

Can't seem to find any pictures, but it's not like anybody'd care.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

YOu have no idea how evil this thread is looking right now.
    I just finished 52 pages of strategic plan of DaimlerChrysler for my Management class, and any chair that I can put my back against would be heavenly. I think I need to look at my Avatar and try to wakeup... nope just nausiated.

Can't seem to find any pictures, but it's not like anybody'd care.
    If you ever find it, I would love to see it. I'm serious.

well, off to a local 24 hour Kinkos.
    JRA

YOu have no idea how evil this thread is looking right now.
    I just finished 52 pages of strategic plan of DaimlerChrysler for my Management class
    JRA
    after 52 pages my fingers would be gone...

btw, i had such a sack like the one you were talking about in the beginning of this thread, (a little smaller) it was good, but now i prefer something with real armrests.

Peace,
    Basite.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Would anyone care to share your favorite chair?
    This thread is fairly old, but I have come across a cool picture, and had remembered this thread.....

http://news.cnet.com/8300-17938_105-...ch=contraption

Hey Feanor,
    I now sit in the POÄNG, but I always end up taking a head-rest off for more open sound.

Forum Regular
    A brown three secton Italian leather couch. You can easily fall asleep if you are not careful so the music must be good.

Ajani
    Would anyone care to share your favorite chair?

Hey Feanor,
    I now sit in the POÄNG, but I always end up taking a head-rest off for more open sound.
    The POÄNG was my listening chair for a few years (before I left Toronto)... Now I just use a comfortable Leather Sofa or my computer chair (when I used my Cans)....

Best audio chair ever?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tell me about your favorite listening chair.-live-memorex.jpg  
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

nightflier
    I have a pair of Lazy Boys - lifetime warranty on the "lazy" part, too.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Best audio chair ever?
    More like Best Speakers ever...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information