Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What was your first audio system....how far have you come?

My Wife asks me sometimes why am I so obcessed with audio and video. She wonders if I have some kind of mental illness or trauma. Of course she doesn't understand our passion, and probably never will; but that got me to thinking.....what was my first audio system (clouds and harps strumming)? Back in 1974 when we (my family) moved into our new house, the household had what would be considered deprived today. We only had one phone, one TV and one stereo. The stereo was my parents of course and was more like a piece of furniture as opposed to a functioning piece of equipment. Being the only boy (I have 2 sisters) I was often out voted on music choices and TV shows. I wanted to listen to jazz and classical, while my sisters wanted what I considered "bubble gum" music. I wanted to watch the Six Million Dollar Man, while my sisters preferred Mork and Mindy. I know I am dating myself....I know I am not the only one. Tired of being out voted I decided to go my own way. My Dad went to the auto junk yard one day and I asked to come along. While there I came across a car radio that had an 8 track tape player. My Dad gave $8 for the unit just to get me to shut up. He thought I would get it home an soon destroy it. I removed the rear speakers from an old car in the back yard and into the house I went. I set up the car radio on my desk, hung the car speakers on the wall, and ran the power cables out of the window down to a car battery I had on the ground. After a few munutes of fiddling around and fashioning an antenna from a coat hanger, the system came to life. I had my first audio system. My sisters saw what I had contrapted, and thought it was the funniest thing they had ever seen, not to mention that I would electrocute myself. Boy were they wrong! Over the years I got summer jobs and of course the glories of working in the fast food industry, but I upgraded one component at a time. Once I had my Technics receiver and turn table, dual cassette deck, and 4 allison speakers, they quickly changed their tune. Suddenly I was chasing my sisters out of my room, because my system sounded better. Later I got my own TV, and thus started the addiction I have now. The persuit of audio and video perfection. Insanity I know... chasing the impossible.... but the thrill is not in the destination, but the journey.
    Can I get an Amen?

My very first hi-fi system was comprised of:
    • Dynaco FM-3 FM tuner
    • Dynaco PAT04 preamp
    • Dynaco Stereo 80 power amp
    • Dyanco A25 speakers
    • Lenco turntable
    • Shure cartrige (mid-range model).
    That was in 1971. Dynaco electronics were assembled by me from kits.

See below my signature for my current stereo and HT configurations.

A Classic Sansui receiver 50 wpc and spearkers, My Dad had brought that gear home in the 60's from england when he was in the Air Force, like a young dummy I traded the reciver for one of those all in one pieces of junk that had a 8 track and cassette player built into it. My mom was so mad at me. I still remember that green backlite that glowed showing the FM dial.

HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

My first; Poineer SX-3500 20W/ch receiver, Realistic MC-2001 8in 2 way speakers, Sharp cassette deck, BSR 5 band EQ. Cut lawns and baby sat to buy it.
    7 Zones, 40 speakers, and my girl still loves me.

In the fall of 1967 while in the USAF I put together my first system.
    Fisher KX-90 Integrated amplifier. It was a kit.
    Benjamin Miracord TT with a Pickering cartridge
    AR4 speakers
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Wow.. lemme think...

Hmmm...

1. Used Pilot 300 watt amp purchased from a pawn shop.

2. JVC 3 ways purchased from "Mom's Stereo"

3. Used Garrad turntable.

4. DAK dual cassette deck.

I think that covers it all. Man what a load of cobblers but it was all mine.

Worf

In 1976 I purchased a 15wpc Pioneer Receiver, JVC direct drive TT and a pair of 2way Altec Lansing speakers.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I remember my first real system was a Technics SA 203 receiver, a Sharp RT 10 cassette deck, a Technics SLD 303 turntable, an Audio Control AC 101 EQ, and a pair of Radio Shack Nova 8b speakers. Man was I happy! The novas sounded great and the SA 203 had plenty of power. I was able to find some old sales brochures from back in the day as well as a few PICs.

Forum Regular
    Don't recall if it was 1969 or 1970, but my first real system consisted of a pair of AR-4x speakers with a Dynaco SCA-35 tube amp (that I built) and an AR turntable. A year or two later I added a Tandberg 3000x tape deck.

Suspended
    My first system consisted of:

Kenwood KR-4070 40W stereo receiver

Pr Large "Bullnose" Advents w/fried egg tweeters

RT3388 Computer -controlled audio-sensing cassette deck.

The Kenwood, although not very powerful for an acoustic suspension speaker, sounded very good with the Advents.

The Advents came with original tweeters, but both were replaced when one had blown, with the fried-egg versions The woofers had foam surrounds, so eventually went bad. I gave them to a friend long before the woofer foam rotted.

The Sharp was a computer-controlled deck whose monitor head sensed the blank tape between songs, would stop and then play. You could program itswitch number of songs you asked it to skip. Very good system for the money. Allowing you to skip as few, or many songs as you like. I think I paid $700 for the set.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I remember buying my first stereo while I was in the Navy in 1969 at the base exchange in Key West. It was an Akai receiver with an Ampex cassette deck that came with speakers. Everytime I transfered to a new base, I would ship all my electronic gear to my next assignment. Shortly after I got out, the Akai died and I replaced it with a Sansui 661 and added an Elac Miracord turntable. I believe that was Radio Shacks version of Joe's turntable. I replaced the Ampex speakers a couple of years later with Radio Shack Nova 6's that had the wood grills that sort of made them look like an English tudor house's windows. My best friend worked at RS and I helped him out by buying my gear there. He moved on to one of the high end stores and would always be bringing home new gear that we could only dream about. I wish I could get a hold of him now so he could see my rig, and he could be saying the same thing.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

I really got into better gear when I found a store that would take my old gear as trade in for newer gear. One man's has been gear can on another mans wish list. I eventually traded my technics gear for Pioneer gear. With so much gear fludding the market from Japan, it was hard to get certain repair parts or find a technician that felt comfortable working on them. American gear was faster to repair because the parts were at least domestic. Getting a piece of gear fixed in under 30 days was considered fast. I currently want to move into tube gear, for my 2 channel system, but we just bought a new house in June.... so I guess it will have to wait.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bfalls View Post
    My first system consisted of:

Kenwood KR-4070 40W stereo receiver

Pr Large "Bullnose" Advents w/fried egg tweeters

RT3388 Computer -controlled audio-sensing cassette deck.

The Kenwood, although not very powerful for an acoustic suspension speaker, sounded very good with the Advents.

The Advents came with original tweeters, but both were replaced when one had blown, with the fried-egg versions The woofers had foam surrounds, so eventually went bad. I gave them to a friend long before the woofer foam rotted.

The Sharp was a computer-controlled deck whose monitor head sensed the blank tape between songs, would stop and then play. You could program itswitch number of songs you asked it to skip. Very good system for the money. Allowing you to skip as few, or many songs as you like. I think I paid $700 for the set.
    I forgot to mention my current system consists of:
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-5
    Yamaha M-65
    Oppo 93
    Dishnetwork Vip722
    Monster 3500MKII
    Legacy Focus Mains
    Legacy Silver Screen Center
    T&A P-30 rear surrounds
    Klipsch RS-3 side surrounds
    Audioquest GR8 speaker cables
    Audioquest Coral interconnects
    Sony KDL52XBR6 LCD HDTV
    HDMI 1.4a cables
    Ashley/Bello entertainment center, TV stand
    Paradigm Premier J Series speaker stands

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Just got an mpd32....trying to figure it out. Any advice or tips?
    Also has anyone seen Gunslinger's new music vid unbreakable?

Chicago IL
    My first receiver was an old Hitachi from the 70's and I am still hitting my head in the wall because I sold it!

My vintage gear!!! http://i48.tinypic.com/t66o1v.png

I came across a Fisher Studio Standard in a thrift store early this spring. Fisher RS 1022. I didn't know that much about it, but I knew it was rare. I asked the guy to hook it up and it worked perfectly. I took it home and hooked it up in my garage. I had some old allisons that I was planning on donating to Good Will because I had no use for them. They had spring clips on the back, and I prefer the 5 way posts. I hooked it all up and I was pleasently surprised. I added and old reel to reel that I had in college, but could never bring myself to get rid of, so it has been packed away since 1989. Long story short.... it is now my garage system. I listen to it when tinkering in the garage. I am happy with it and will probably never get rid of it. There is just something nostalgic and special about old gear. Maybe it's the old music on my reel from the 60s 70s and 80s that just brings back a lot of good memories.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Year 1969, age 14, my first system consisted of:

Old Collaro puck-drive turntable/Sonotone ceramic cartridge
    DIY 10W EL84 mono tube amp
    DIY 2-way speaker.

How far have I come ? Equipment list in my profile
    Last edited by Glen B; 08-22-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psytrancelove View Post
    Just got an mpd32....trying to figure it out. Any advice or tips?
    Also has anyone seen Gunslinger's new music vid unbreakable?
    Well first off let me welcome you to the forum. Then I must inform you that you just broke one of the rules. It is called hijacking. This is Dwayne's thread about posters first audio system. If you need to ask a question you need to start a new thread. No harm done, just a little 411.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Forum Regular
    The original technics hifi... lol

Forum Regular

Panasonic Quadrophonic

Yes, about 1973/74, I bugged the heck out of my dad to get me a Panasonic Quad system that consisted of a Quad TT and it also was an 8-track player but I don't recall if that was Quad too. Anyway, it was cool but sounded pretty terrible.

Forum Regular
    AR tt, Stanton cartridge, AR 3a speakers, Dynaco PAS 3 and Mark 3.

My first system was:

Infinity RS3 speakers
    Onkyo TX-DS555 Receiver
    Onkyo TX-Something CD Changer
    Stock cables
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Suspended
    Since my oldest brother was building kits on the kitchen table from as far back as I can remember, my first system was a Heathkit Receiver and speakers and a Dual Turntable.

First I purchased in 1977 with my first income tax check was Infinity RS-b with the Poly drivers that looked like milk container plastic, Onkyo Receiver and Tape Deck and a better Dual Turntable.

34 years later, my main gear is from the 90s except for my OPPO93 and Rotel CDP.

pacjohn635 Registered Member
    after a few all in 1 cheapies when i was a kid i had a kenwood receiver & bose 501's in the air force 1973. after came a big realistic receiver, with custom made speakers that played really loud(i didn't know much about accuracy).then in the 80's came a luxman r-115 receiver,& freid studio 4 speakers with an early sony cd player.later i used the luxman pre-outs into an adcom gfa 555 amp for a noticeable upgrade in quality. now i'm using paradigm 90's era se5mk2 speakers that i bought in excellent condition in a thrift store for $25.00. & an outlaw 2150 receiver, with an inexpensive sony dvd,super audio,cd player. any suggestions on subwoofers? the paradigms are good but i hear they really kill with a sub. how "used" can a sub bought without problems?

My first stereo was handed down to me by my mother. It was one of those combination Phono + 8 Track Tape Player + Stereo Receiver boxes. I don't remember the brand (Fisher???), I just remember her buying it on credit from the Montgomery Wards catalog some 6 years prior. The thing was old: the 8 track player no longer worked, you had to set a penny atop the needle whenever you played albums, and the speaker wires had miles of electrical tape on them, but it was mine and I was in heaven. We had just moved from our home into a small apartment in a new city. There weren't many kids in the neighborhood, so I spent most of my time listening to music.

Some years later, as a teen, I would work during the summer and after school to buy piece by piece a full multi-component stereo system.

The JVC receiver came first along with small Kenwood speakers.

A month later, a Technics turntable.

A few weeks after that, an Onkyo dual cassette tape deck. I can't begin to tell you how thrilled I was to have Dolby features and the ability to record from tape to tape, or to play mix tapes continuously. And about those tapes - was I the only one that wouldn't settle for anything less than either the Maxell "Metal" or the "high bias pure epitaxial" cassettes?

A couple more months would pass before I could afford the Onkyo equalizer. I had hoped for either a Yamaha or Sony eq with the "graphic spectrum analyzer," but both were well out of my price range. I made do with the Onkyo with the boring green lights on the sliders.

At about the time that I purchased the EQ, a new music media format was just hitting the stores: the audio mini discs and the redbook CD. It took me 3 more months and all of my department store credit and employee discount, but I eventually added an Onkyo 6 disc CD player.

I would finally punctuate my stereo system by adding a second pair of speakers, a pair of Yamaha tower speakers with 12" woofers. Of all of my friends, I was the only person on the block with speakers in all 4 corners of the room. Mismatched or not, they all thought the stereo was the best that they'd ever heard. Boy, were we dumb. Ha!

Safe to say, I've come a LOOOOOOONG way from those early days... but there's still plenty of room yet to grow.
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com