Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: System Problem

Ya know, something else comes to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by ssarm@mac.com
    The sound I was describing was only coming from the processor loop.
    Is this preamp new to you? Have any of this preamp's line level inputs ever worked for you with any other source, say a tuner or a CD player?

If you haven't tried them before, try them now.

If you say none of them work, then I might have an idea.

In the meantime, you might want to re-read all of page four in the owner's manual and also post 19 in this thread to see if you can figure out for yourself where I'm going with this. I'm pretty sure you've got all the information you need to solve your problem if you just read and think a little.
    Last edited by markw; 09-26-2006 at 08:50 AM.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    You mean the part where it says he has to have jumpers in place? Good call.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    not sure what you are getting at.

I called an adcom service dealer and said that they would probably be able to repair the unit for anywhere from 30-120+, with around 100+ more likely. Assuming nothing large is wrong, it should be cheaper than buying a good external phono-preamp. I think I'm gonna take it in on thursday or friday evening and have them check it out.

unless you have figured out a miracle solution, of course
    Sennheiser HD280 Pro
    Shure E4

Adcom GFP 555
    Adcom GFA 545 II
    Paradigm Atoms
    Technica SL-5200

not sure what you are getting at.

I called an adcom service dealer and said that they would probably be able to repair the unit for anywhere from 30-120+, with around 100+ more likely. Assuming nothing large is wrong, it should be cheaper than buying a good external phono-preamp. I think I'm gonna take it in on thursday or friday evening and have them check it out.

Getting your phono stage fixed would be wise when you are looking ro sell your Adcom. But if I read correctly, you are getting fixed for 130+ to 220++? hmmmmmm, if your budget was about 100 bucks more, I may say something else, but by the time you figure out the actual cost after inspection you are already in too deep.

Best wishes,

-JRA

AR Newbie Registered Member
    not sure what you are getting at...unless you have figured out a miracle solution, of course
    Actually, Mark has. On page 4 of the manual, notice it says:
    Quote Originally Posted by Adcom
    Please note that the GFP-555 will not function properly unless a signal processor or the supplied jumpers are connected between the inputs and outputs of this circuit to complete the loop.
    Take a pair of interconnects, and plug them from the outputs to the inputs, left-to-left, right-to-right. Plug your turntable back into the phono input, and set the other two settings appropriately. Turn volume all the way down. Power on. Start a record playing. Turn volume up until you hear the record playing. Enjoy.

I guess that depends on what you consider a miracle.

If following well laid out clues, reading a little, and using one's head to think and solve a problem is considered a miracle, then I guess it is. I just call it using my head and what's available.

Did you do the reading assignments? I doubt it. The owner's manual was a godsend but I doubt you even read it. I see at least two other posters picked up on the clues, did the required legwork and came to the same conclusion I was leading you towards, even one that posted right before your most recent post to whicht I'm responding here. If you couldn't pick up on that, well...

Of course, this is no guarantee the phono preamp still isn't dead, but at least it would fix the other inputs and, odds are the phono stage will fall right into line.

Ya gotta try to help yourself a little, kid. Learn to read and understand your owner's manual and, if you don't have one, and someone provides one for you (as in post 11 here), always print it out, read it and understand it. It's your first line of defense.
    Last edited by markw; 09-27-2006 at 11:37 AM.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Haven't had the time...

...to chime in...Tried to access the Adcom site the other day to check the manual but didn't get too far...Heck I wooda thunk jumpers or a switch affair was a given thing to check...

D@mn...this has been a complaint of mine from time to time...everybody wants it handed to 'em on a silver platter...can't be bothered with the manuals (assuming one is available)...can't even be bothered with paying attention to the responses and doing some follow-up...

And then people get p!$$ed at me when I make the horrible suggestion that the OP look at the book or use their head for something other than a place to stick a backwards ball cap...acting as though I'm not willing to help...

Then to top it off, there are the responders who have a habit of making mountains out of molehills...IT AIN"T ROCKET SCIENCE...Maybe it's my intuitive abilities after nearly forty years as troubleshooter, but all it takes is some common sense and an understanding of the basics...

Multiple oliversudden troubles usually have a relatively simple common cause...it's the little independent ones that come along and nickel and dime you to death that are the biggest PITA...

Always apply the KISS principle, you'll never go wrong...

jimHJJ(...rant over...you can all turn around and face forward...)

P.S. And then, of course, we may have the errant Tape Mon switch...

P.P.S. Just for the record, I have run across some gear that have a Phono postion on the selector switch but it is in name only. They require an extra-cost option module for the basic RIAA characteristics etc. in addition to a step-up device if you're using an MC cart...otherwise they are line-level inputs...
    Last edited by Resident Loser; 09-27-2006 at 07:58 AM.
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...to chime in...Tried to access the Adcom site the other day to check the manual but didn't get too far...
    Actually, jrhymeammo was kind enough to do the legwork and post a link to the owner's manual in post 11 of this thread. Had he not been so kind to do so, the solution would have escaped me also.

If I were this poster and didn't have an owners manual and someone handed it to me on a silver platter, the first thing I would have done is print it out. The second thing I would have done is read it. It isn't a hard read. The answer was right there on page four under "External Processor".

I think what really plunked my magic twanger here was that after Mr. Meammo went through all the trouble to make the owner's manual available (at no charge) to the kid, he didn't even bother to read it. The fact that he wasn't forthcoming that none of the inputs worked was just an added bonus. And, the icing on the cake was when he didn't even bother to try to comprehend my first post on this page.

Dusty Chalk was able to figure out exactly what I was getting at and gives the answer in his post. ..but he still didn't get it. In the very next post, the OP posts he still has no idea what I'm talking about. ..even after Dusty Chalk spelled it out for him!

Hello... Mc Fly... *knock knock* ... anybody home?

It's amazing. He wants someone else to drag the real problem out of him, do all the legwork to get the information (the manuals) on his system, and someone else all the thinking for him by putting all this stuff together to come up with the answer. ...and he doesn't do anything except post here that he doesn't understand what's being said...

If he's having this kind of problems with a simple plain vanilla analog stereo, he's gonna have a lot of fun when he gets into HT.

But, odds are he stopped caring after Studly Kach's post.
    Last edited by markw; 09-27-2006 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Studly Kach
    Actually, Mark has. On page 4 of the manual, notice it says:Take a pair of interconnects, and plug them from the outputs to the inputs, left-to-left, right-to-right. Plug your turntable back into the phono input, and set the other two settings appropriately. Turn volume all the way down. Power on. Start a record playing. Turn volume up until you hear the record playing. Enjoy.

Dear Ssarm,

Just want to clarify this post. He said to read page 4 of this manual. If you are viewing this with Adobe, it's on page 5. I still dont think your Adcom has faulty wiring or processor. Keep trying everything posters have recommended, and give us a detail info on what you tried. We are giving you alot of info, but we dont really know what you've tried. Give us more info than "I did"or "It won't".
    Try everything, we are here to help.

-JRA

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Just want to clarify this post. He said to read page 4 of this manual. If you are viewing this with Adobe, it's on page 5. I
    Well, yes and no. Yes, in that in Adobe it's "Adobe page 5" because they count the cover sheet.

If it were printed out (and that's highly recommended) it shows page 4 at the bottom of the referenced page. The cover isn't numbered.

Silly boy...

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Well, yes and no. Yes, in that in Adobe it's "Adobe page 5" because they count the cover sheet.

If it were printed out (and that's highly recommended) it shows page 4 at the bottom of the referenced page. The cover isn't numbered.
    ...and you thought this would be easy!

jimHJJ(...I have seen the future and I'm glad I'll be dead...)

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

Forum Regular
    Hey,

thanks for helping me guys. I've been searching for those little interconnects, and I finally found them today...at home. My mom is sending them up here to Boston and I should get them by Monday.

I'm sorry if I seem pretty stupid when it comes to this stuff. I did read the manual, but I wasn't sure what some of the terms. I'm only 19, and no one I know knows anything aobut turntables, preamps, amps, speakers, wiring etc. I've been learning everything as I go along. It seems kind of strange to me, not having an experience with this stuff, that you would need to loop the backside of the preamp. But hopefully Monday I'll be all set. Sorry for the trouble guys

Thanks again, talk to you monday
    Sennheiser HD280 Pro
    Shure E4

Adcom GFP 555
    Adcom GFA 545 II
    Paradigm Atoms
    Technica SL-5200

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Well, he took that rather well.

No trouble, don't mind us. We're just ornery.

It's a common problem with vintage gear. At 19 years old, we can't have expected you to've run into it before.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Hey,

thanks for helping me guys. I've been searching for those little interconnects, and I finally found them today...at home. My mom is sending them up here to Boston and I should get them by Monday.

I'm sorry if I seem pretty stupid when it comes to this stuff. I did read the manual, but I wasn't sure what some of the terms. I'm only 19, and no one I know knows anything aobut turntables, preamps, amps, speakers, wiring etc. I've been learning everything as I go along. It seems kind of strange to me, not having an experience with this stuff, that you would need to loop the backside of the preamp. But hopefully Monday I'll be all set. Sorry for the trouble guys

Thanks again, talk to you monday
    I hope your pre-amp works the way it should. No problem with your experience level. You are miles ahead of me since I've never owned separate system in my life. Once you get everything settled, would you be kind enough to post a picture of your turntable? I've never seen Technic 5200.
    Best wishes,

-JRA

We all have to learn, but sometimes I think the internet makes learning optional.

Believe it or not, I was trying to help you. I was tryin' to teach you to fish, not simply throw you a carp. Along with helping you solve your problem, I was actually tryng to help you learn how to work things out for yourself. ...and sometimes the best way to learn is to dig up the answer for yourself.

I see that all the time in school. I tutor in the computer lab and many think it's easier to try to get the turors to do their MS Office homework rather than do it themselves. I'll help them with specific questions, but I'll also guide them to learn how to do it themselves. I'll help, but if I did their homework, they don't learn.

You'll notice that once I found what I believe is the cause of your problem, I tried to guide your thinking towards uncovering the answer for yourself. You'll notice that I was quite explicit in where you should look for it. I believe that had you read what was suggested and thought about it a little, the answer would have been obvious. Others were able to, and the owner's manual isn't that "deep". Heck, if you can deal with a computer and the interconnects there, an owner's manual for that analog two channel preamp should be a no brainer.

When you simply said "I don't understand" without asking any questions, I blew a gasket. It looked (to me, anyhow) like you didn't even try to help yourself!

Many of us here learned in the pre-internet days where the owner's manual was the sole source of information. It's not jealousy or anything, but It seems it's too easy for people to just post queries on these forums rather than use what's available to figure it out for themselves.

P.S.. you DO know that any old interconnects you have lying around will serve the same purpose as those jumpers, don't you?
    Last edited by markw; 09-28-2006 at 08:53 AM.

Forum Regular
    Don't worry, I totally understand. I get the same way when I'm trying to explain, say car mechanics, to someone. I know its frustrating.

I figured that any pair of interconnects could be used as a jumper, but unfortunately when I moved up to school I had to pack light, and I don't have any extra wires arounds. Luckily its the weekend soon, and I probably won't be home much anyway.

Can someone just explain why you need an external jumper, and why it isn't builit into the internal workings of the preamp? Seems a bit counterintuitive to me.
    Sennheiser HD280 Pro
    Shure E4

Adcom GFP 555
    Adcom GFA 545 II
    Paradigm Atoms
    Technica SL-5200

Easy question.

Can someone just explain why you need an external jumper, and why it isn't builit into the internal workings of the preamp? Seems a bit counterintuitive to me.
    It's cheaper to manufacture that way. Two little interconnects stuck into the four jacks on the back are cheaper than incorporating a switch into the circuit. Functionally, it's all the same.
    Last edited by markw; 09-29-2006 at 09:13 AM.

Markw is right...

...it is cheaper but...you knew there would be a but didn't you?...Waybackwhen folks had these things called tape decks...RtR..cassettes, and thats why most decent gear had "tape monitor" loops and dubbing facilities,,,as does your pre...Trouble was if one wanted to put an equalizer or time delay or other sort of processor into the signal path you had to use one of the aforementioned loops to do so.

Most of these outboard devices replicated the loop access so you could still hook up a tape recorder in the now occupied RCA-type jacks...some didn't and sometimes the ability to dub from deck to deck was compromised so.... we have the "processor loop" and depending on where in the signal path the interruption took place, one could actually use tone controls or the outboard EQ to futz with cassette copies and give them enhanced characteristics for use in an automobile and it's noisier environment...Some units had switches to close the circuit so jumpers weren't required, most didn't 'cause it was a cheaper way out.

So all-in-all it may seem counter-intuitive, but it recalls a day when true audiophiles ruled the roost and wanted (and needed) such flexibility...and now sadly, the ubiquitous HT has pretty much given that a good swift kick in the cashews...

jimHJJ(...d@mned laser-totin' mechanical lizards...tell me you didn't see that one comin'...)

Forum Regular
    I'm finally hooked up and working! Thanks for all your help guys, I'm pretty excited about this stuff. I guess I'll have to cut back my beer drinking and divert that money to vinyl, or maybe not. I guess we'll see
    Sennheiser HD280 Pro
    Shure E4

Adcom GFP 555
    Adcom GFA 545 II
    Paradigm Atoms
    Technica SL-5200

YAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

You do understand that madness has only began, right?
    You may find yourself going to FastFood joints and taking 30 packs of ketchup and a giant handful of napkins just so you'll have enough cash to upgrade your system. I havent bought paper napkin in years.

Forum Regular
    You guys have any recommendation for a daily stylus cleaner?
    Sennheiser HD280 Pro
    Shure E4

Adcom GFP 555
    Adcom GFA 545 II
    Paradigm Atoms
    Technica SL-5200

Suspended
    I like ZeroDust but it's expensive, over $70.00. It works good though and I don't have to worry about damaging anything. It's a polymer material and your stylus just sinks into it. When you lift it out, it is clean. They say the material will last forever. You can check it out at www.amusicdirect.com or www.acousticsounds.com.

You guys have any recommendation for a daily stylus cleaner?
    One pack of Mr Clean;s Magic Eraser will last you life-time, and works incredibly good. You can read up on it here in Analog Thread. Try a search.

-JRA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information