• 11-11-2005, 04:50 PM
    Arvind
    Survey: Who has never owned vinyl, but has been curious?
    - what prevents you from trying it out?
    - what questions would like answered before seriously considering a trial?
    - at what price bracket for all needed gear (table, arm, cartridge, phono) would you make an entry.
  • 11-16-2005, 04:42 AM
    Hairsonfire
    Wow, lot of people looked at your post - but, no one replies?
    I have been very interested in vinyl since I have been into this stuff. If I had the bucks, I would get the VIP Scout turntable - very nice - comes with the Rega tone arm and a Grado Cartridge - all for about $2000.00. I would also need to get a phono stage - There's a company called Boulder that apparently makes one for about $20,000.00 - he he he - But I would probably get some entry level phono stage for about $1,200.00 - There is a Swedish Company called Coph Nia. It's not so much that I think vinyl would sound so much better (however, it might, I really don't know) it's just that it would be so cool to have such a beautiful work of mechanical engineering in my system. You know, part of the whole Zen thing.
  • 11-16-2005, 05:13 PM
    Smokey
    A good CD player with a remaster CD will sound better than LP anytime. After owning LPs for over 20 years, I will never go back to it.

Too much hassle, too much noise and too much prone to damage.
  • 11-17-2005, 09:39 PM
    DaHaq
    Yeah, but...
    Records are sexy, you cannot deny ;D
  • 11-18-2005, 06:02 AM
    Feanor
    I'm with Smokey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHaq
    Records are sexy, you cannot deny ;D

I've owned LPs for 35 years. I downgrade my turntable about 12 years ago and never missed the old one. Now this turntable has die: my LPs are going to for the yard sale.

Newer, well made CDs, not to mention SACDs, are miles a head of anything in my LP collection.
  • 11-18-2005, 02:52 PM
    DaHaq
    Recently I came up with a little analogy. Records are to CDs what candlelight is to the light bulb. One is perfect, clean, reliable. But the other brings extra qualities to the experience. The joy of watching a record spin, the needle lowering to the groove, like the comforting smell of the burning candle, the flickering shadows on the wall. Beauty is imperfection. That said, I can understand why people who grew up with vinyl, dealing with scratched records and damanged needles, would be glad to move on. I think the appeal of vinyl is mostly in the ritual and the cover art, and it is very novel for those of Generation Y, like myself, who grew up knowing only CDs.
  • 11-18-2005, 05:32 PM
    Feanor
    Yup, you sound like a real vinyl lover
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHaq
    Recently I came up with a little analogy. Records are to CDs what candlelight is to the light bulb. One is perfect, clean, reliable. But the other brings extra qualities to the experience. The joy of watching a record spin, the needle lowering to the groove, like the comforting smell of the burning candle, the flickering shadows on the wall. Beauty is imperfection. That said, I can understand why people who grew up with vinyl, dealing with scratched records and damanged needles, would be glad to move on. I think the appeal of vinyl is mostly in the ritual and the cover art, and it is very novel for those of Generation Y, like myself, who grew up knowing only CDs.

No use arguing with them ;) You should try tube equipment too.
  • 11-18-2005, 10:33 PM
    DaHaq
    In a perfect world...
    they'd just make cds 12 inches in diameter, like laserdiscs. Who's with me! :D