Forum Regular

XM or SERIUS what you think?

Just wondering about user feedback on these two formays what do you think? one better than the other?

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Not to change the subject...

...well not too much anyway...didja' ever think anyone would ever be able to convince the public to pay for water...to pay upwards of $4 a cup for coffee... to pay cable teevee companies for the privilege of watching re-runs of failed commercial network shows, complete with commercials...to pay $12 a pop to see "movies"(such as they are) complete with commercials in dirty, oversized living rooms with noisy neighbors...to pay ridiculous prices for inferior cell-phone service(as opposed to land lines)...and now pay to listen to radio, complete with Howard Stern and those of his ilk?

As Barnum said "...every crowd has a silver lining..."

jimHJJ(...this way to the egress...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Forum Regular
    yeah RL sounds like a little bit of a rant but i get where you are coming from. it is truly amazing at what people will pay for. like starbux charging 6.00 for a cup of coffee or some companies charging you for an extended warrantee that doesnt evengo past the products standard warrantee.
    i will wait and do some more thinking on this one.

I can see where paying for sat radio is an issue. However free radio is not even worth turning on in my opinion. At least around here, anyway. 6 minutes of commercials...then a Lynard Skynard song. 6 minutes of commercials..Led Zeppelin. 6 minutes of commercials...Allman Bros. 6 mintues of commercials...Boston...then the cycle starts all over again.

I love the XM on DirecTV...just today I've heard Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, good old Genesis, Stockholm Syndrome, King Crimson...you could listen to regular radio for 10 years constant and not hear any of those.

But is it worth $12 a month? I don't know. Like I said, throwing it in with DirecTV is sweet, but I don't know if I'd pay seperate for it.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    I can see where paying for sat radio is an issue. However free radio is not even worth turning on in my opinion. At least around here, anyway. 6 minutes of commercials...then a Lynard Skynard song. 6 minutes of commercials..Led Zeppelin. 6 minutes of commercials...Allman Bros. 6 mintues of commercials...Boston...then the cycle starts all over again.
    ...tain't no guarantee any of these services won't morph into the same thing once they get enough consumers to bite...

I remember the commercial-free premise and promises of "pay TV" as it was called back in the 60s...

jimHJJ(...promises, promises...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Forum Regular
    1 of my coworkers has both. What he noticed the most was that sirius has more crossing over between channels. meaning you will hear the same bands and songs across multiple channels, where XM tries harder to keep their channels seperate and distinct.

Also the hardware/technology is MUCH better for XM. I do not subscribe to either but have looked into it. From what I have heard XM spent their money on better technology and Sirius spent their money on big names to bring subscribers to them. XM has also allowed other companies to make radios as well. An example is I saw Pioneer makes a XM Radio with a 4 hour hard drive in it. I works like a DVR for XM Radio. I believe Sirius just came out with one but only has 44 minutes of recording.

Best I can say is both XM and Sirius offer free 3 day web trials. Remember that the sound quality is much lower via the web than with a radio, but Use that time for making a decision on which you like better.

HTH
    Greg
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    PSB Image T65
    PSB Image C60
    PSB Image S50
    Yamaha YST-SW1500
    Mitsubishi WS-55807
    Sony DVP-NC875V SACD
    Logitech Harmony 880
    Iriver Ihp-120 MP3 Player

Come to think of it I do remember that about Sirius when I had Dish Network...you could flip through and hear John Cougar on classic rock, adult contemporary, acoustic rock, modern country, and new rock!

Forum Regular
    Well i was just looking at the pioneer head unit in my truck and it is XM compliant so i think i will check that out. maybe also get a home docking port as well....

And

don't forget your i-pod, cell-phone, do hicky this, and do hicky that along the way :-)

Thread Information