Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sir Terrence the Terrible

Thread: PS3 copyright question

RGA
    Forum Regular

PS3 copyright question

For PS3 owners an interesting question that I have been reading mixed answers on. I am now very likely to be moving to Hong Kong and I have a Blu-Ray and DVD and PS3 games.

EB games store manager has said that PS3 games purchased here will work on machines purchased over seas. He says that while the games have a region coded tag - it doesn't mean anything. Online - someone seems to confirm this and says that PS2 games will not work but PS3 games will.

Then there is the Blu-Ray question. I have to say this is irritating for people who ever plan to move overseas. You have to buy the damn movies a second time.

My Dell XPS 1530 will play any dvd from anywhere is seems so I can always connect it to TV that has HDMI or VGA and I suppose I could buy a portable Blu-Ray device but I'd rather just buy a PS3 over there and leave it there when I come back here.

Anyone have any insider answers. I can always ask Sony but I'll probably get the old - push one push two push three robot voice and that just drives me crazy.

My understanding is that PS3 games will play on any PS3 console, regardless of region. PS2 games won't work simply because Sony discontinued PS2 compatibility after the 2nd generation PS3 consoles (pretty much everything from 2008 onward).

With Blu-ray, you're also in the clear because North America, South America, and most of East Asia (except China) are in Region A. Hong Kong's included, so any console you buy there will play regionally coded BDs sold in the U.S. or Canada.

Where things get fuzzier is with DVDs, because Hong Kong is in Region 3. But, you mentioned that you already use a region-free drive with your computer.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Wooch is spot on.
    MikeG likes this.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Thanks guys - I never would have thought HK would be different than Mainland China or that it would be the same region as the US and Canada - So I will be bringing my Blu-Ray collection with me.

It will be interesting to find stereo equipment for small apartments - but a fun challenge.

Thread Information