Forum Regular

Refurbishing a JVC receiver

A previous post somewhere on this board caught my eye and got me thinking. The gentleman who wrote it wanted a simple, elegant receiver to replace an older Marantz model, I think it was a 2270. Many who responded suggested that rather than buying new, he simply refurbish what he already has.

I'm sort of in the same boat, with a JVC RS-77 -- a 1980 era model, nothing special except for it's integral 5-band EQ, digital tuner (rare at that time) and JVC's Super-A amp section. I'ts a nice unit, except the controls are all noisy, the tape monitor switch is intermittent on one channel and the right channel is audibly weak. The balance control doesn't work smoothly, either.

With all these things going wrong, I'm thinking of replacing this receiver with either the HK 3380 or the Yamaha RX-397 or RX-497. But then, I'm thinking: Might it actually be worthwhile to try and rehabilitate my JVC instead? Thoughts, anyone? Thanks in advance.

Well, just because it's old doesn't make it worth of refurbishing. You wouldn't restore a Pinto, would you? Really, it depends on how much it will cost to refurb the unit vs. what it's worth...both on the market and to you. I'm not calling your JVC a Pinto and admittedly I'm not real familiar with vintage JVC's. Just keep in mind the Marantz models from the '70's are somewhat legendary, along with Pioneer, Sansui, and Fisher.

If the unit has value, whether monetary or sentimental, I say go for it as long as the cost isn't ridiculous. You might check out audiokarma.com as well. Lots of vintage guys hang out there from what I hear.

Hope this helps.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

In my best Johnny Mathis...

...chances are...a can of contact cleaner will work wonders...

Turn off and unplug the unit...spray as per mfrs. recs and switch those switches and twiddle those knobs repeatedly to work at cleaning and reducing the oxidization on the contact surfaces...99% of noise problems (and even channel difficulties such as you describe) are simply a result of a build-up of electronic crud over the years...

jimHJJ(...yes, crud...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Thread Information