AR Newbie Registered Member

A Stock and B Stock Grading

Hello,

Is there a good general definition of what A Stock and B Stock grading means. I understand that B Stock may have some physicial blemishes.

But I don't know what the specifics of each.

Thanks!

Forum Regular
    Simple definition:

A stock: equipment tested, boxed, and shipped to the store. Never leaves the box before you buy it.

B stock: equipment tested, boxed, used for some other purpose or returned for some other reason, retested, reboxed, and then you buy it.

B stock gear can be anything from a cosmetic blemish to someone found out the product just wasn't right for them to it needed a board replacement to it was used in a photo shoot. Still comes complete with the manufacturers warranty.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I don't think you'll ever see a universally accepted (and enforced) definition for "B Stock"...Back when I was in high school, I worked for a company that manufactured water sports accessories (water ski's etc)...B stock for them was unsold inventory at a certain date, discounted to help clear stock.

When I worked for Honda, returned parts that were usually ordered unecessarily were repackaged and sometimes listed as "B Stock"...the problem here was some would occasionally have blemishes or significant defects.

I think each company would have a different definition, the improtant thing to realize is there is always SOME added risk when going the B Stock route...how much probably depends on the company and product in question. Look for warranties, conditions of sale, etc, to make that judgement call of whether it's worth the risk yourself. Sometimes you can find a real bargain on unsold, new equipment, sometimes you're getting a repaired lemon that's already been back to the factory twice.

Forum Regular
    What are the chances that B stock is passed off as A stock? How can you protect yourself?

Forum Regular
    Next to none. All you can do is take their word for it. However, open box items at Best Buy, etc., are sold as B-stock. I've bought several B-stock or used speakers and have had excellent luck with them. Then again, it is comforting to know the manufacturer/owner will do whatever it took to make things right. The company? AV123.

Forum Regular

What are the chances that B stock is passed off as A stock? How can you protect yours

Quote Originally Posted by tpcounty
    What are the chances that B stock is passed off as A stock? How can you protect yourself?
    I think that it happens more than any consumer would care to imagine. I think that your chances of getting "B" stock that is being sold as "A" stock occurs more on-line than in a store, although I'm certain that I got ripped off by a local stereo shop. Let the buyer beware! Michael

Forum Regular

Factory B stock electronics usually come in a plain brown box

Clearly labeled as such. Products noted as "factory B stock" will be repackaged to keep any "confusion" from happening in the name of profit by dishonesty. Repack from a retail establishment is technically considered "open box", and is not technically B stock.

Anyway, factory B stock will be plainly labeled.
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

Thread Information