AR Newbie Registered Member

Stereo and speaker compatability help!

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum looking for some help setting up a stereo system. I have a JVC EX-D5 Home audio system in my living room and would like to connect it to a set of Bose 251 Environmental speakers out on my patio. I'd like to be able to switch between indoor and outdoor speakers or both and I'd like to have an outdoor volume control as well. I'm thinking I may need an amplifier to power the Bose speakers but as I am not very knowledgeable about home stereos I'm looking for some help figuring this one out. I consider myself electrically inclined and have wired many audio systems but I am not the best at determining the proper components. The owners manuals read as follows for the specifications:

JVC EX-D5:
    Audio Output
    Analog sound output:
    Speakers x2
    Output Power: 18 W per channel, min. RMS, at 4 ohms at 1 kHz with no more than 10% total harmonic distortion
    Fitting impedance: 4 ohm to 16 ohm
    Digital Sound Output:
    Optical x1: -21dBm to -15dBm

Bose 251 Speakers
    Compatibility:
    Compatible with amplifiers or receivers rated 10-200 watts per channel/ rate 4 to 8 ohms
    100W IEC continuous power handling: rated 6 ohms

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you need more information I will do my best to answer. I'm sure you can find any other info about the components by doing a google search.

Thanks!

Suspended
    Your JVC unit really doesn't have much power, at rated power it's 10% distorted which is a lot and 18 watts is into 4 ohms, so 6 or 8 ohms will reduce your output even more. If you are set on using that unit you could get a speaker switcher which will be necessary since you only have one set of speaker terminals,connect the inside and outside sets so you can switch back and forth. You'll have to run speaker wire from the switcher to an outdoor volume control and then from there to the Bose. That long of a run of wire will also add to your impedance. You can probably find what you need at Radio Shack. Niles is a good brand to look at as well.

I kind of guessed they'd be pretty underpowered. I guess I'll have to look around for an amp to match these speakers with. Any suggestions?

Suspended
    A receiver would be a good step up and it wouldn't take a lot to push the Bose. If you find one with A/B (two sets) speaker terminals you would eliminate the need for an additional speaker switcher. Run "B" to a volume control and from there to the Bose. You may be able to find a vintage stereo receiver that would do the trick for not much money. Or, this unit has two sets of main speaker terminals and nice features http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TX85...receiver&ssi=0

the satelite radio you might find nice for the outdoor use and the amp section is up to the task of most speakers. You might be able to find a better price on this unit plus the link I showed it's out of stock. But it will give you an idea....

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Welcome to AR Mark.

Great advice Peabody.

I am in agreement. For very little money, a vintage receiver will do everything you need it to. Let's keep in mind it will sound better also. 10% distortion?!? Yikes!!

What city do you live in Mark? We can browse your local Craigslist and give you some suggestions.

I'm in Milwaukee, wi

Maybe a little more background about the situation will help. The JVC unit is not mine. My stepdad purchased it recently with little knowledge about stereo systems as you probably guessed by how grossly underpowered the stereo is. Don't get me wrong, the stereo sounds really good and clear but it doesn't have much power handling when you want to hook up speakers larger then like 5 inches. It's more of a small room stereo system. Either way he'd like me to hook it to these outdoor speakers for our patio and I told him I'd try to figure something out. I happen to have an old Sony home stereo amp sitting around so I may give that a try. Do you think that could work?

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madmark33
    I'm in Milwaukee, wi

Maybe a little more background about the situation will help. The JVC unit is not mine. My stepdad purchased it recently with little knowledge about stereo systems as you probably guessed by how grossly underpowered the stereo is. Don't get me wrong, the stereo sounds really good and clear but it doesn't have much power handling when you want to hook up speakers larger then like 5 inches. It's more of a small room stereo system. Either way he'd like me to hook it to these outdoor speakers for our patio and I told him I'd try to figure something out. I happen to have an old Sony home stereo amp sitting around so I may give that a try. Do you think that could work?
    Give it a whirl. If it has A/B speaker selection, even better. NEVER run both A and B at the same time, generally bad for business. At best you will only get half power from the speakers. I would also suggest some low gauge speaker wire for the runs required to the patio speakers. 14 or 12 awg.

Thread Information