AR Newbie Registered Member

speaker cross-over issue? Help I'm a newb

Hi everyone,

I recently got my first house so Now I can finally crank it! My receiver is a fisher
    rs-9115 that has a max output of 100watts per channel. First dumb question if i'm running 2 speakers does that mean each speaker gets 100 or 50 watts?
    I just got some used Cerwin Vega DX-9's that i've fallen in love with! Man these things
    really rock and sound good! It has a 15inch driver, 6.5 mid and dome bullet loaded horn tweeter. I couldn't find any info on Cerwin's website since the speakers are soo old but I
    think the rated response is 30-20000hz and it is circuit and fused protected, cross over points of 250 and 5000hz I think? The speakers are supposed to handle 400 watts max, Now the strange thing is when I was playing some hard rock and really cranked it up all the way it blew the fuse to one speaker! No smoke came out and this was after about 2 minutes at max volume. Now if the speaker can supposedly handle 400 watts then my 100 watt receiver shouldn't be able to hurt it I think?? Maybe the crossover is going bad/out I dunno? I'm glad the fuse popped! What do you guys think? Should I get a new crossover assuming I can find one? Thanks in advance!

Dan.

Does the receiver say Fisher or FisherPrice?

I think its just Fisher. I'm at work now so can't verify.

My thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by blackops_1
    Hi everyone,

I recently got my first house so Now I can finally crank it! My receiver is a fisher
    rs-9115 that has a max output of 100watts per channel. First dumb question if i'm running 2 speakers does that mean each speaker gets 100 or 50 watts?
    I just got some used Cerwin Vega DX-9's that i've fallen in love with! Man these things
    really rock and sound good! It has a 15inch driver, 6.5 mid and dome bullet loaded horn tweeter. I couldn't find any info on Cerwin's website since the speakers are soo old but I
    think the rated response is 30-20000hz and it is circuit and fused protected, cross over points of 250 and 5000hz I think? The speakers are supposed to handle 400 watts max, Now the strange thing is when I was playing some hard rock and really cranked it up all the way it blew the fuse to one speaker! No smoke came out and this was after about 2 minutes at max volume. Now if the speaker can supposedly handle 400 watts then my 100 watt receiver shouldn't be able to hurt it I think?? Maybe the crossover is going bad/out I dunno? I'm glad the fuse popped! What do you guys think? Should I get a new crossover assuming I can find one? Thanks in advance!

Dan.
    First good news is that it is unlikely that the speaker crossover is the problem or needs fixing. That is, you probably only need to replace the fuse.

Now as for the cause: if you were driving the receiver wide open, (glad I was nowhere around at the time), you probably drove it into "clipping", that is, into a condition where it is producing significant distortion which in turn means even more power than the loudness music would suggest.

Let's get something else straight: the Cerwin Vega's 400 watt rating would be "music peak" or some similar description, that is, transient power, not continuous wattage. What happened was that the Fisher, especially given that was probably driven to clipping, was delivering a more continuous, actual power than the Cerwin's could handle, so the fuse blew -- lucky for you.

Teehee

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    'Nough said.

x2 on clipping... (when a sin wave looks square)... this will cause very high currents and will not only damage your speakers, but will damage your receiver's amp...
    if you want it louder, perhaps get a bigger amp and possibly additional speakers...
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

x2 on clipping... (when a sin wave looks square)... this will cause very high currents and will not only damage your speakers, but will damage your receiver's amp...
    if you want it louder, perhaps get a bigger amp and possibly additional speakers...
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Ha ha yeah you got me there Peruvianskies Normally I don't push things to the limit, but being this is my first house which I worked and saved for a long time, searched a long time to find one without another neighbor's house in the yard. You bet I'm gona have my party and my freedom to finally see what she will do without worrying about a noise violation! And considering what a deal I got on the dx9's, even if the worst happened I wouldn't have lost much $$$, in perspective.

Blackops_1.

Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    Repalce the fuse with the same rating. If it blows again - then we will make sure it is the correct fuse, and then troubleshoot further from there...

Congratulations on the house!
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

..and replace that Fisher ASAP. It's probably producing 10% distortion at idle.

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    ..and replace that Fisher ASAP. It's probably producing 10% distortion at idle.
    rofl!
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    To your other question - 100W/Channel means just that - each speaker gets 100W. You only have one speaker per channel - right?
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

Thread Information