AR Newbie Registered Member

Thumbs down SONY Warning on Warranty

For a short while I was the proud owner of a KV-34XBR800. I am still within the warranty time (Sept 14, 2005), but the beautiful TV sits in my living room as a 250 lb shining box. I cannot even lift it to throw it away. SONY has declared that they will not fix it because there is evidence of corrosion. I live in California near the coast. I also have 5 other smaller TV's (NOT SONY) which are much older than this one, but evidently made with quality parts.
    I have read the warranty repeated times, to find out why SONY chooses to make me feel like such a fool and an idiot for having purchased such a product, but I am unable to see where in the warranty this WARNING exists. Customer service declares that it is plainly written. See for yourself: "This warranty does not cover cosmetic damage or damage due to acts of GOD, accident, misuse, abuse, negligence, commercial use, or modification of, or to any part of the Product, including the antenna."
    Because of the size of this TV, I certainly could not have dropped it into a bucket of water. I simply turned it on, enjoyed it, and then watched it die a very young death.
    I have a question for SONY: How can a company from an island nation (surrounded by water) build a product which cannot last through its own warranty? Is this what we have to look forward to with SONY's new Television Technology?
    It may sound as if I'm angry. You have no idea how angry I am. To pay as much money as I did for this product, and not only watch it die, but also learn that the "RESPECTED COMPANY SONY" has turned its back on their product and their own warranty, makes me ashamed and furious!
    May I warn anyone who is interested in making a SONY purchase that they are hiding things in their warranty. The warranty is not for your best interest, it's for SONY's, and they feel that they have a right to not express all of the hidden meanings. If you explore, you will find that other companies are far more honest.
    My warning is: If you live in California, Florida, or any of the states that are near the water....(just count them!) you are going to be treated like a fool by SONY if you chose to purchase their products. They do not have the decency to say that in their warranty, but they are eager to turn their backs on you if there is a problem---and there will be.

That's really surprising. Not that the Sony failed, their suspect reliability is well known, but that they won't even stand behind their warranty. I'm guessing they consider the excess moisture as "an act of God?" Have you talked to your dealer about it? Many times a good one will step up to the plate in an effort to retain your business. I don't know if it would be worth the trouble, but you might also consider contacting the BBB.

Good luck.

Just to play the devil's advocate, is it possible you just brought the tv back from New Orleans? If you have the bill and its from a California store, then I'm on your side.

Forum Regular
    I had a Sony DVP-NS955v DVD/SACD player for 2 months before I sold it. The reason was that it refused to play my SACD, which all other machines did. What made it worse is that it was all DVP-NS955v players that refused to play this (yet other makes & models were fine).

No one could help with anything. Seems once they have your money, they do not care abou ttyou

Forum Regular
    Hi Gcgilman; I could not think of what to tell you. I did however have a talk with my brother. This was his thoughts.

Do you have your windows open in your home or is your home air-conditioned throughout the year? He felt that if you live near the water, equipment can become damaged from salt air over a period of time. I mentioned to him that you had other tv sets that were older and standing up in age. He said what Topspeed said that it is an "Act of God". Here is a definition of that term. [ A manifestation especially of a violent or destructive natural force, such as a lightning strike or earthquake, that is beyond human power to cause, prevent, or control.] Corrosion is not violent, but it is a destructive natural force, I would think, and seems to fall into the category prevent or control.

The questions here are; where did you purchase the set? Was it a store that is near the coast. If so, it is possible that the corrosion could have started before you ever bought the set. When the repairman came to your home, did he show you the actual corrosion? My brother said that if by chance you bought the set using an American Express card, that you might be able get relief.

My personal thought is that perhaps you have a case for small claims court on the basis of breach of warranty. What angle could Sony use to cause a judge to rule against you. Sony should have stated to you under what provisions of the warranty that you posted here on this thread what corrosion fell under. The only possible way Sony could win if they use the Act of God defense. Your defense is that there is nothing in their warranty that fits "corrosion". I wish you luck. Kelsci.
    Last edited by kelsci; 09-15-2005 at 11:28 AM.

Only 2
    I have a Camcorder they are using the same excuse on(corrosion), and the Camera I shipped to them for repair in the original box with a copy of the sales reciept they are claiming they do not have a warranty card on file and it is not covered. I did it online Im dissapointed in them right now, you are the 1st one other than myself Ive heard having trouble.
    There's a solution for that problem,
    Its called 2 channels

AR Newbie Registered Member

Angry Life in a "clean room."

Thanks, for the responses. It's certainly more than I have gotten from SONY.

Yes, airborn corrosion is something..."act of God?" I don't know. Perhaps it has been a "non issue" in the past, because the devices were no where near as complex as they are now, or will be in the future. But, that just proves my case: If they state such a warning, or exemption in the warranty, then we would be able to perhaps make a choice: either protect the equipment by building it in to some protective casing, or ultimately chose to not purchase such an expensive unit. If SONY gets its way, we will using their equipment in "clean room" situations, only.

In any case, I am still getting no cooperation from SONY or the local repair people. The television makes for a lovely "center speaker" podium, and it's still within its warranty.

Buyer beware....there is much not expressed in the SONY warranty.

Sony

Things acqaintances have told me about Sony TVs

1. The same part will fail more than once, Sony will not accept responsibility.
    2. The replacement part from Sony (installed) costs more than a whole new TV.

The failure rate seems high enough that there is a market of Sony assemblies repaired by third parties not affiliated with Sony, look for them on the internet.

Sony seems to be riding on a past reputation, I won't buy their products, should you?

Forum Regular
    When you are buying a t.v. or electronic component period, deal with a place that has their own service. You don't want to be dealing direct with the manufacturer. With an independent service department often things are fixed in house with the dealer being reinbersed by manufacturer. What does this mean to you? A dealer is easier and more flexible than a manufacturer. At least that is how it is where I am.

Unhappy I recommend doing the following....

I had similar problems with my first DVD player a Pioneer POS so bad I spit on that company's grave to this day. I recommend the following course of action.

1. Post your experiences on EVERY review and enthusiast website you can.

2. Contact the Better Business Burreau and lodge a complaint.

3. Contact your Attourney General.

Pioneer Caved after I called the BBB. Give it a shot your currently have nothing to lose.

Da Worfster

Forum Regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if this is illegal in california. You have an indoor TV which isn't going to get any water/salt on it other than through the atmosphere and if that theory was valid they could pretty much void any warranty on any equipment in cali by calling it "corrosion" that lead to failure of whatever actually went wrong. Cali has a lot of strong consumer protection laws. I would look up your warranty protection laws in california and talk to a lawyer. I would be surprised if you sent a nastygram via a lawyer (for a few $100) to Sony they would suddenly remember your warranty is good after all.

To cheer you up a bit, as an example of what a badass state you live in, in california warranties are valid no matter if you buy from an authorized dealer or not. Also I really wanted that TV to be honest and now I know its not worth my time so they lost a sale just from your post. Actually follow up if you manage to get them to change their minds.

Red face Might be a moot point..

Sony's goin broke. They're laying of another 20,000 workers world wide and are "reorganizing" again. They did this three years ago and it didn't work. Sony's circling the drain and it don't look like it's gonna be a pretty ride.

Da Worfster

It's far worse than that, Worfster. Sony has changed their forcasts from a fiscal year $80b profit to a $8b profit and now to a $80b loss!

Ouch!

The PS2 and PSP are practically supporting the entire company right now.

Forum Regular
    A sad state of affairs for them indeed:

http://www.news1130.com/news/busines...ntent=b092279A

Time will tell I guess.

I've only had one Sony product that worked satifactorily, Anyway tightening up on warranty service is typical of a large company having financial difficulties. It will probably cost you more in time and effort to fight them, so unless you get satisfaction from taking them to court the most effective thing you can do is just spread the negative word of mouth advertising.
    http://www.drachen-audio.com

Forum Regular
    Assuming you bought your TV with a credit card...sometimes talking to your CC company can help. They might be able to help you in your fight.

Forum Regular
    I am sure California has tough warranty laws. You can look them up, the gov websites will have all the information you need. There are expressed warranties and there is an implied warranty. The expressed is that which the manufacturer claims, the implied warranty is "generally understood". The expressed cannot limit the implied. The State actually controls to a large degree what a manufacturer's warranty obligations are, not the manufacturer. Read the bottom line of the Sony warranty.

As far as court, you would probably be looking at small claims against the Registered Agent that represents Sony in your state. They are probably registered in Sacramento, you have to file there. You should propably be able to file via a form and certified mail. The Registered Agent would be summonsed to appear. They will not, the issue will not go that far. Total cost would be something like $70.00 to you. Sony would have to spend thousands to reply. You do not need to talk to a lawyer, the state has it all set up for you.

You could find out who that Registered Agent is and contact them yourself, politely and professionally, letting them know you are serious and will not go away. Write a letter or e-mail. Tell them to please forward your complaint to Sony in order to resolve this issue the least painful way.

This was the procedure in NC when I had problem with Best Buy. It worked like a charm.

Good Luck.

jocko

Thread Information