Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    WOW Where do you get you gorceries Jrhy maystard and mustardonaise hahaha... very unique...
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

Well its not an outragoues speaker, but an amp that should break the bank.

Halcro DM88

If you have those outrageous speakers you need an outrageous amp and this should suffice.

* Operates at up to 2.1 kW at peak
    * 270 Watts continuous into 8 ohms
    * 500 Watts continuous into 4 ohms
    (Continuous – Halcro power ratings are measured at continuous power unlike many competitors who publish measurements tested at peak ratings)
    * Distortion of less than 500 parts per billion at full power (20kHz). Immeasurable at normal listening levels
    * Four input options:
    o Balanced voltage input
    o Unbalanced voltage input
    o Current input
    o Minimal path voltage input
    * New universal power factor corrected power supply which automatically operates from 85V through to 270V RMS. Superior reliability with heavy shielding
    * Discrete codes for On/Standby trigger. This simplifies the remote control of the amplifier by another source component
    * Series and common mode filtering on the mains input
    * Superior industrial grade components used throughout the circuitry to ensure perfect audio reproduction and maximize reliability
    * Drives all loudspeakers, including electrostatics
    * Solid Mahogany feet
    * 7 Year Warranty

For more info vist http://www.halcro.com/productsDM88.asp
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wilson Audio Alexandria

Specs

Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
    Woofer: One 15 inch - One 13 inch
    Midrange: Two 7 inch (vented enclosures)
    Tweeter:Ambience: One 3/4 inch Supertweeter
    Tweeter: One Inverted Titanium Dome
    Sensitivity: 95 dB@ 1 watt (2.83V at 1 meter)
    Minimum Amplifier Power: 20 WPC
    Frequency Response: (with port contribution)
    +0, -2dB 18 Hz - 22.5 kHz
    Height: 72 inches
    Width: 17.5 inches
    Depth: 26.75 inches
    System Product Weight: (each) 750 lbs (system) 1500 lbs
    Approx. Shipping Weight: (for complete system) 2,286 lbs

For more info visit http://www.wilsonaudio.com/product/alexandria/

How about Wotan MB-1250 Reference. 1250 watts in tetroide, 600watts in triode with 48 glorious 6550 tubes.

About those stupid condiments, I got that off of Mr. Show. My favorite show of all-time.

JRA

Mr. Show huh?? never heard of it...

Here is a bizzarre looking speaker...the bang and olufsen Beolab 5

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Oh, no, it's a Cylon!
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

the bang & olufsons aren't that impressive, yes, they look special, not to say weird, but seriously, they can't compare to the b&w or the others mentioned here, i saw them (and heard them a little) at the local hi-fi shop,

but back to the topic, too expensive speakers,
    the von schweikert VR-11, anyone, at a 150000, they are pretty expensive, but i guess they sound good (i hope so)

and then the Kharma grand exquisite, at a price i once knew, but i forgot it now,
    (don't forget the matching sub)

and let's not forget Florian's Apogee Grands, i think this beats them all, maybe some of the über exotic speakers sound better (for some people) but, since there were only 25 pairs made of them, and he owns one of those pairs, at a reasonably young age, this should deserve quite some respect.

also, exotics, my dad said that once in his life, he will own the nautilus 803's

Keep them spinning,
    Basite.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Audio Enthusiast
    I've heard them both. Since I can't afford either, I never gave it much thought--until now.

I heard the Stradavari at an audiophile club meeting and the B&Ws in a local shop audio shop. By not having heard them side by side and with the same music, its really not a fair and objective experience. Despite the subjective and disconnected observation, my memory favored the Sonus Fabers.

That Beo5 is actually pretty interesting. It features a built-in robotic mic and dsp processing to adjust the speakers for various room acoustics. I heard them last year and while I've never been a fan of B&O, I thought these sounded remarkably good. 'Course, for $17 large they had better!

BTW, good point about discussing reliability with any Euro car. Remember when "German" made actually meant something? Back in the '80's, one of MB's calling cards were that the door locks on the SEL were so strong, they could hold the entire weight of the car. Why is that important? Because in an accident, you don't want the doors flying open and tossing the occupants. Today, "made in Germany" usually means overly complicated cars with more electronic crapulent "luxury" than the shuttle Atlantis. What idiot thought iDrive (BMW), COMAND (Benz), or MMI (Audi) was a good idea?!?

The R8 is supposed to be $100k with the 4.2L V8 from the RS4. The 5.2L V10 pricing hasn't been released yet. Whatever. At that price point, I'll take an Aston V8 Vantage all day long.

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    Wilson Audio Alexandria
    I haven't heard the Alexandria but I did hear the Maxx IIs. I did not particularly like them. I did however like the smaller Watt Puppies and the Duette(?). To me they sounded more involving.

I can only commnet on WattPussies too, I thought they sounded well balanced without much coloration. But all in all, if I start thinking about my system like that, I would be doomed.

Kharma has some nice top-of-the-line speakers. Shahinians look like boxes, but they're supposed to produce some sweet sound. Nearfield Pipedreams are easily the best speakers I've ever heard. I'm sure the Genesis arrays sound pretty darn good, too.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Kharma speakers

My audio buddy and I spent a lot of time and money evaluating the Accuton drivers (the C79^2, C88^2 and C92^2 for use as a midrange). Our intent was to build our own three way speaker. Of course they did exactly what they were famous for and that is to resolve every last detail good or bad fed to them. After making some very complex crossovers with traps and filters in an attempt to tame the drivers we got pretty close to a nice sound. It was then that we noticed that all three models of drivers had a very small dynamic range. A visit to the Stereophile HIFi show and a Grand Kharma demonstration confirmed that those speakers also suffered form constrained dynamics. At that price point this shouldn't be. Of course this is just my opinion. All speakers involve tradeoffs, the Kharmas demand a bit too much for the price I feel.

At the show we decided the Joseph Audio "Pearl" speakers were among the best. I liked the Wilson Maxx, but eventually agreed that the bass is overblown. Another significant disappointment was the Vandersteen 5. We had great expectations, but found them uninteresting, even dull.

As I said in an earlier post, at this price point the best speakers are very dependent on room accoustics and accompyaning electronics, hopefully I won't be flamed by any owners out there of these speakers that I personally found less than exemplary. They may work fine in your environment.

p.s. We are about 99% finished with our speaker design and have started collecting parts for the second set earmarked for me.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Forum Regular
    What a hopelessly useless forum!

Someone asks a question about the relative merits of two specified speakers. Five respondents confess to not having heard one or the other or both, but give their worthless opinions anyway. One gives a decision based on his/her assessment of their visual appearance. The remainder respond with drivel about cars.

I haven't heard either of these speakers since it is extremely unlikely that I'd consider buying B&W or Sonus Faber. But I would advise the original poster to listen for themselves using a selection of the music that they like best and make up their own mind.

Logan, Logan, Logan......... man o man.
    Kinda sucks that I live on Logan St. Does that make this forum a bit better?

JRA

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan

Someone asks a question about the relative merits of two specified speakers. Five respondents confess to not having heard one or the other or both, but give their worthless opinions anyway. One gives a decision based on his/her assessment of their visual appearance. The remainder respond with drivel about cars.

I haven't heard either of these speakers since it is extremely unlikely that I'd consider buying B&W or Sonus Faber. But I would advise the original poster to listen for themselves using a selection of the music that they like best and make up their own mind.
    And one is a clown. Guess which one?

BTW,

Merc Benz are for grandmas,
    BMW are for chicks...
    The A8 with the Bosch Diesel motor is getting in the right neighorhood, but the answer is:

The Toyota Supra (orange and green paint job with pimped out spinners)
    Now we're talkin'.

For the record I drive a Buick.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Who you callin' a clown? Am I funny?
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Logan

talking about useless...

I don't think that Icarus was considering buying one of these speakers, this thread was started just to pick one out, which you think is the best, and logically, other suggestions are coming up, but no-one was considering buying one.

we are helping people alot with their questions, thing is, this isn't a 'what to do' question, this is just for fun.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

I would say.... SL65 AMG by carlsson
    AMG makes some absolutely sick engines, (well one of the most powerful production engines in the world-their twin turbo V12...). But handling I heard isn't the best. My choice would be a pimped M3... Or for a more realistic approach.. a pimped 330i estate

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    I would say.... SL65 AMG by carlsson
    AMG makes some absolutely sick engines, (well one of the most powerful production engines in the world-their twin turbo V12...). But handling I heard isn't the best. My choice would be a pimped M3... Or for a more realistic approach.. a pimped 330i estate

i once heard that racing is illegal in switzerland, if that's the case, then why don't you get yourself a bentley continental gt, then you at least have all the luxury and when you leave switzerland (to let's say, the german autobahn) you can still go really fast.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I would always go for the Sonus Faber, I have Amati's myself and prefer them over the B&W 801, the stradivari add even a bit more of 'being there'

If you can afford either ...

Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    Both of these Two models are the cream of the crop, the El' Capitan. But which one is better? They are both unique designs with quality that is just astounding, and a price tag that rivals BMW's and Mercedes.

B&W nautilus versus Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage
    You can probably afford both!! So why not buy both, have a good listen to them side by side in your home, then sell the one you like less?????

holy thread revival!!

but I think an avalon Isis is worthy too
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

A couple of years back B&W sent me this nice DVD, it was all about speaker technology especially their 800 series. Lots of graphs and details about cone materials, voice coils, break-up modes etc. Ray trace drawings of how sound bounces in their enclosures, etc, etc.

When I've heard the B&W and the Sonus Fabers my ears agree, B&W is all about technology whereas to me Sonus Faber is all about music. I've never heard the Stradivarius, but lesser models from Sonus are quite beguiling, smooth and beautiful to my ears. I can't afford either brand and I suppose one should hear them in your room rather than a showroom, but from what I've heard, I'm in the Sonus Faber camp.

All threads get better with age
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information