Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Now where did i leave my old Fisher all in one stereo......i have a big expensive system and hate music....what should i do?
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    Good for you.
    The TT and phono amps and MCs from 1983, when you left vinyl, bare no resemblance to a modern set up.
    And yes I agree playing a record needs a bit more effort and care then simply pressing a "Play" button. I like that, some like the convinience of a press and forget.I don't even have a remote.It doesn't mean you shouldn't have one.
    As for "sugar coated sound" modern valve equipment is far from that (some are).I would hate that, having some artifical warmth or cold introduced.
    Most Guitar amps use valves and many recording studios too. There has to be a reason for that.
    Most importantly-enjoy the music whatever it is.

Bernd
    Amen to that brother Bernd.
    Although I do not have any valve equipment I do use studio amps.
    And my TT rig sounds very very very close to a live venue in fact shockingly close especially on D2D.
    I have a good CD Transport (PD-65) not great but good and no way does it even come close to the Vinyl.
    The vinyl leaves the CD behind after a 1000 watts (stereo) once beyond that power range LOOK OUT my vinyl system really comes alive.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Now where did i leave my old Fisher all in one stereo......i have a big expensive system and hate music....what should i do?
    lol I had almost forgot about those Fisher units (those where the days hugh?) lol
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDONH
    lol I had almost forgot about those Fisher units (those where the days hugh?) lol
    Yup, those were the days before i spend 30hrs building room acoustics (lenses, bass traps etc..) and moved the close to 300lbs speakers in in. over the floor while looking at my real time analyzer and ALL that just for the sake of enjoying music to the max. :-)

Yup, those were the days before i spend 30hrs building room acoustics (lenses, bass traps etc..) and moved the close to 300lbs speakers in in. over the floor while looking at my real time analyzer and ALL that just for the sake of enjoying music to the max. :-)
    How could you enjoy music with all that? You must be hating it by now. Tell you what I'm gonna do. Sinse we've been friends for so long, I'm going to do you a favor. Just pack up all that crap and send it to me. All you have to pay is the frieght. I'll send you a Bose Wave system to replace it so you can go back to enjoying music again.
    Ain't I the best?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    You could always branch out more to new web pages and opine.
    What kind of web pages? The all nude all the time pages?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    How could you enjoy music with all that? You must be hating it by now. Tell you what I'm gonna do. Sinse we've been friends for so long, I'm going to do you a favor. Just pack up all that crap and send it to me. All you have to pay is the frieght. I'll send you a Bose Wave system to replace it so you can go back to enjoying music again.
    Ain't I the best?
    Mmh, i dont know. I think the Waveradio is actually too good for me. Dont you have something else? You know, like my old Fisher?

Mmh, i dont know. I think the Waveradio is actually too good for me. Dont you have something else? You know, like my old Fisher?
    I have an old Panny from the 70's. It has AM/FM/short wave, casset & 8 track recorder & record changer all in one. But I think it sounds better than the Bosewaves. I also have a hand held Sony AM/FM casset player. It's mono. Will that do?

Mmmg, the Mono Sony sounds good. Well, let me build a few crates to pack all my ****! :-)

But seriously, how dumb is this thread? On a scale from 1 to 10..... my vote goes for 7.5 since Spanky holds the record with 10 and we got some fun from this one.

Mmmg, the Mono Sony sounds good. Well, let me build a few crates to pack all my ****! :-)

But seriously, how dumb is this thread? On a scale from 1 to 10..... my vote goes for 7.5 since Spanky holds the record with 10 and we got some fun from this one.
    Poor Spanky lost his cat & his cottonwood tree. He does hold the record for the all time funniest thread. Soundideas ran a close second though.

Yeah i know, and thousands of people die everyday because of no food and no water. SoundIdeas, the creator of magic pixie snot and ultra snot is tied for first tough.

Yeah i know, and thousands of people die everyday because of no food and no water. SoundIdeas, the creator of magic pixie snot and ultra snot is tied for first tough.

Wow, no sympathy for the little guy huh? But he made us laugh so much.

I have 3 cups of coffee. Can you tell me with one would burn my privates the most?

Wow, no sympathy for the little guy huh? But he made us laugh so much.

I have 3 cups of coffee. Can you tell me with one would burn my privates the most?
    No, i do feel sorry for his loss. No question there, but people create 4 page threads over their dead cats, dogs etc.. and when a national dissaster hits or 500 people die from missguided bombs, crippled children or raped civilists by a large army etc... then noone writes as much. Funny, reality eh?

*I dont know, dont drink coffee :-)

No, i do feel sorry for his loss. No question there, but people create 4 page threads over their dead cats, dogs etc.. and when a national dissaster hits or 500 people die from missguided bombs, crippled children or raped civilists by a large army etc... then noone writes as much. Funny, reality eh?

*I dont know, dont drink coffee :-)
    It just seems to happen so much that few people write anything unless they knew someone it happened to. We live in a world where people will burn down buildings to protest a cartoon. If you stand on a street corner with a sign saying that you'll work for food you'll get nothing. But if you stand on that same corner with a sign saying that your dog is hungry you'll make megabucks.

Don't drink coffee? What are you, anti American?

Guitarists, etc.

Most Guitar amps use valves and many recording studios too. There has to be a reason for that
    Bernd
    The one or two that I know admit that they use tube amps because they love the particular sound when the tubes are driven to distortion; admittedly solid state can't be used this way. Music creation has difference criteria that sound reproduction.

I have a Bebringer T1951 equalizer with tube circuitry. Behringer's claims for the tube circuitry are similar to what people make for MF's X10v3 tube buffer; (more warmth, musicality, harmonic richness, etc.). The difference is that Behringer is up front that this is the result of induced harmonic distortion; they even have a dial that lets you tune the amount of "warmth" you want

In fact this device works: I often tune up the "warmth" on the raunchier recordings I own. Indeed, it does smooth the sound; there is little or no loss of resolution and only a small reduction in microdynamics. It is superfluous with better recordings however.

Heheh, an Anti-American making 1600 posts over years in an american forum. LOL, na i like coffee but am more chicken and drink Tea! Hehe, my friend is the owner of Blue Mountain Coffee in Jamaica

I took a picture once when i was in NY where i saw a women looking for food in the garbage can infront of the NY Millenium Hilton across from Ground Zero and to the left a Mercedes CL55AMG......mmmh i can see that starting in Berlin now too. We all have to watch out.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Ain't I the best?
    GMichael you are quite a guy helping Flo that way. Once you've gone Bose how do you go back?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

GMichael you are quite a guy helping Flo that way. Once you've gone Bose how do you go back?
    Well what he doesnt know is that once you apply some Ultra Super Snot to the BOSE Waveradio it will transfer to a Ultimate 901 Edition ;-)

I know, but I'm willing to make the sacrifice.

Well what he doesnt know is that once you apply some Ultra Super Snot to the BOSE Waveradio it will transfer to a Ultimate 901 Edition ;-)
    If you use my home made platunum ultra-gold silver plated super-ultra snot, it will turn those 901's into an Emerson, all in one system with the auto toaster option.

Heheh, an Anti-American making 1600 posts over years in an american forum. LOL, na i like coffee but am more chicken and drink Tea! Hehe, my friend is the owner of Blue Mountain Coffee in Jamaica

I took a picture once when i was in NY where i saw a women looking for food in the garbage can infront of the NY Millenium Hilton across from Ground Zero and to the left a Mercedes CL55AMG......mmmh i can see that starting in Berlin now too. We all have to watch out.
    It's something to see alright. NYC is where the very poor & very rich live side by side.

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I have a Bebringer T1951 equalizer with tube circuitry. Behringer's claims for the tube circuitry are similar to what people make for MF's X10v3 tube buffer; (more warmth, musicality, harmonic richness, etc.). The difference is that Behringer is up front that this is the result of induced harmonic distortion; they even have a dial that lets you tune the amount of "warmth" you want
    Precisely...and that is the way to go, the current trend in the high-end where folks basically argue against objective logic, excusing objective logic on the basis of subjective evaluation is painful... IMO, the attitude is doing more harm than good...
    It's a listening test, you do not need to see it to listen to it!

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed

we've got the makings of great John Hughes movie!

There's no such thing as a "great" John Hughes movie!

Aging Smartass

Also a performance in a concert hall is never deadly quiet. There is always some ambience and background noise that digital (unfortunatly) lacks for now.

Bernd
    This is an argument with which I must respectfully disagree, and disagree strongly. I've heard it said by some that the clicks, pops and other "Rice Krispies" sounds from vinyl are an "acceptable substitute" for the ambient noise one normally hears in a concert hall. I think such an argument is inherently wrong and misguided.

An ideal recording should not only faithfully reproduce the individual sounds of an orchestra, but should also reproduce the ambient sound of the hall or auditorium in which the recording was made - not the sounds of people talking, opening up plastic bags, coughing, sneezing etc. those sounds to a concertgoer, like myself, are annoying, and have no place on any recording. This is why I sometimes actually prefer to listen to my system, than to attend a live performance, especially a live performance of a relatively quiet piece, though I have to admit that I've attended a few concerts where the performers were so astonishingly good, that you could all but hear a pin drop during their singing/playing. As to whether digital or analog does a better job of capturing the sound of a recording hall, that too is the subject of another endless debate.

Aging Smartass
    Had to throw this in too, for good measure. I own a Bose "Acoustic Wave" Radio/CD player. I didn't buy it, but got it free as part of a promotion when I leased a Nissan Pathfinder (which had a Bose stereo system in it). I think it sounds very nice. But that's about the best accolade I can muster - just "very nice." Is it worth the retail price of $1,200?

Is "Plan 9 From Outer Space" the best movie ever made?

Each question gets the same answer...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information