Thread: upgrade time?

Forum Regular

upgrade time?

I'm going to have a little cash soon and I want to upgrade, but I'm not sure what. I'll have around $750 or so. My current setup: yamaha htr 5550, paradigm studio 20 v2 and center v2, jbl s26 surrounds, hsu vtf 2, panasonic dvd rv32, thorens td 170 tt, sony wega 24" flatscreen. I had been thinking of replacing the reciever with a yamaha rvx 1400, but then, I was thinking of what else I could get for the $. I could replace my vtf 2 (which I am happy with, but there's always tighter deeper etc), with a vtf3 , an svs, or even almost a used servo 15, or one of the hsu tubes. I would think that it would make at least as much of a positive difference, although after my recent experience with my BFD I can imagine the value of a parametric eq on the yamaha reciever. I won't be making the step to 6.1 for a while, but I could also get the matching paradigm studio rears, although I don't really want to spend that much money on my rear speakers just now, as I think that would probably make the least difference of my choices. For another few hundred, I could even get a decent tv in the fall. Anyway, what do you guys think, I've always had good advice here in the past, and I do usually listen before I buy (except for the vtf 2 and I just got the tv cause I got an amazing open box price) but I'm in an early stage here just looking for some opinions

My opinion is to get the best amp/receiver you can afford first. I don't know how much better the Yamaha RX-V1400 is over the HTR 5550 though. The parametric eq will help compensate for room acoustics which itself is probably the most important factor in getting your system to sound its best. Even your present speakers will sound better. Which should hold you over till you have cash for the next upgrade.
    In my experience changing from a dead to a more lively room and improving my AV receiver to a Yamaha RX-V2200 was the most significant sound improvements.

If you are interested in the Yamaha for the YPAO feature, you should understand that the parametric EQ feature works from 63 Hz to 16 kHz. In my own limited experience, corrections for room nodes were needed at frequencies lower than 63 Hz.

Read the review of the Yamaha RX-V2400 at Audioholics. The RX-V1440 has most of the same features.

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...ceiver-p1.html

Forum Regular

ypao limits

yea I knew that, I already have a parametric eq for my sub anyway

Quote Originally Posted by agtpunx40
    I'm going to have a little cash soon and I want to upgrade, but I'm not sure what. I'll have around $750 or so.
    I wish we all had your problem .

Your current system seems pretty good. I think you have already ruled out the new receiver. If you are after more power, you might consider a 2 channel power amp, if your receiver has preamp outputs. There are some good deals in used amps. The safe answer is buy more music or movies. Then there is always the option of better speakers, but if you like what you have, DO NOT go listen to new speakers with that money burning a hole in your pocket. I'm sure there are ways to spend ten times that much.

You could hang onto that cash and wait to see what develops in HDTV over the next year. You could wait and see where you'll be living next after you graduate from William & Mary. Acoustic room treatments (AKA: furniture, carpets and curtains) cost money too.

Thread Information