Setting volume correctly throughout the signal chain?

Afternoon ARians.

What is the best way to set the volume control given the following setup:

Sound card (E-Mu 0404)---NAD 3150 (used as preamp)-----MAudio Powered monitors

In other words, Should I set each volume at half and adjust the volume strictly at the preamp? Is it best to have the monitor volume full blast and the computer full blast? 3/4 for each? Also, Is there any sonic advantage in any any particular combination?

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise,

Jason
    The round mound of rebound sound is profound and bound to pound the ground. OK, I got nuthin.....

Quote Originally Posted by phileserver39
    Afternoon ARians.

What is the best way to set the volume control given the following setup:

Sound card (E-Mu 0404)---NAD 3150 (used as preamp)-----MAudio Powered monitors

In other words, Should I set each volume at half and adjust the volume strictly at the preamp? Is it best to have the monitor volume full blast and the computer full blast? 3/4 for each? Also, Is there any sonic advantage in any any particular combination?

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise,

Jason
    My advice, (though I'm not necessarily an expert):
    • Sound card, (and/or computer volume control), full blast -- in general digital volume controls limit dynamic range due to the way they work -- or that's how I understand it.
    • Speaker power amps at a level that allow your NAD preamp to be set at 10 to 1 o'clock from most of your listening.
    • NAD Preamp, of course, controls the volume for you specific listening preference.

Thanks Feanor. Now setting controls accordingly....

Best,

J
    The round mound of rebound sound is profound and bound to pound the ground. OK, I got nuthin.....

Thread Information