Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking Seriously tho, let's have some fun!

Allright all you hard-core audiophiles and enthusiasts, here's my query:

What is the best rig that you have ever heard? I don't care if it cost $500 or $500,000. You may have heard it at CES, THE, or your brother-in-laws basement. What system made you actually stop and say "Holy smokes, Batman! That's music!"?

Secondly, (you didn't think you were getting off that easy, didja?) what is the best high value/budget/cheap system you've heard?

As you know, my personal reference point is currently a Wadia/ARC/Wilson WP7 rig that shook my foundations last year. Good lord, "The Girl from Ipanema" was putting on a private show for me!

Budget system has to be the original CSW system with the dual subs and cubes. This was a while ago, but man for the money it really poured out the music.

Best value is easy: it's what I've got (pretty much)

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    ... what is the best high value/budget/cheap system you've heard? ...
    = Sony SCD-CE775 SACD player
    = NAD C372 integrated amp
    = Magneplanar MMG speakers
    = PSB Subsonic 6 subwoofer

The Subsonic 6's internal, high-level 80Hz filter is used to drive the NAD power section.

This system willl play all types of music well in a medium-sized room at reasonable volumes. Can't be beat for classical and jazz ... (IMHO).

Actually, I have a NAD C270 driven by my old Apt Holman pre-amp.

Sounded like fun to me too, Topspeed, but I have found people aren't much interested in poles.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I didn't really consider this a poll, I was just interested in other people's experiences and perceptions.

Audio can be so serious some times

Thanks for the reply F

Ok Ill take a stap at it..When the weather kicks up on the NC coast and prevents fishing we go to plan B..We back the boat up to Shakelford banks and anchor.Then we drag a cooler full of coolie pops (beer) and some chairs onto the Island.Then I put in the likes of Van Morrison,Sly and the Family Stone,John Lee Hooker,Hell we will even pop some classic Disco in there..I have never heard em sound so good..Oh the system is a $95 dollar Jensen Cd and a pair of HTD outdoor speakers..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

What is the best rig that you have ever heard? I don't care if it cost $500 or $500,000. You may have heard it at CES, THE, or your brother-in-laws basement. What system made you actually stop and say "Holy smokes, Batman! That's music!"?

Secondly, (you didn't think you were getting off that easy, didja?) what is the best high value/budget/cheap system you've heard?

As you know, my personal reference point is currently a Wadia/ARC/Wilson WP7 rig that shook my foundations last year. Good lord, "The Girl from Ipanema" was putting on a private show for me!

Budget system has to be the original CSW system with the dual subs and cubes. This was a while ago, but man for the money it really poured out the music.
    Best?

Well I wish I could remeber all the gear, but I wa 12 at the time and I knew NOTHING about audio at the time save that I liked it.

It was an all Mac system connected to a pair of electrostats. I can't be absoultly positive but I'm 95% sure it was Quads. The recording was Carly Simon No Secrets album, and of course it was vinyl, as CD's weren't even a glimmer yet.

While that system might not even stack up to my current one, it had a life changing effect on that 12 year old.

Best Value?

That's easy. The one I'm listening to right now. My old CSW Microworks. I got it for $100 in Cambridge Mass, directly from the outlet. This 3 piece stereo sub/sat has to be one of the sweetest sounding computer speaker system ever. The single driver sat has perfect phase responce, and great midrange performance. It is still in production 10 years after it's introduction, although the Microworks system is no longer being made.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

AR Newbie Registered Member

The best I can recall was my dads' quadraphonic system, A pair of Quad ESS speakers up from balanced by a pair of KEF subs in the rear. The quads were mono amped with tube amps and the KEFs were run from a single amp. The system was run by a Marantz preamp and an audiphile turntable, not sure what brand. It got my blood boiling everytime.

As far as value systems, mine is pretty good. see equipment list.

Forum Regular
    Honestly, I have heard some very good system, but in the end I like mine. I have spent a goodly amount of time and money on it. Sure, there are always things that could be added to maybe make it sound better, but I am very happy with the way it sounds. I try not to focus on the systems that I could never afford; it is nothing more than a waste of time in my opinion. Sooner or later I feel therte has to come a time when we all have to become satisfied with what we own. For if we can not, then what's the point.

Again, I am very happy with my system!!!
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

Let me rephrase the question...

Quote Originally Posted by bturk667
    Honestly, I have heard some very good system, but in the end I like mine. I have spent a goodly amount of time and money on it. Sure, there are always things that could be added to maybe make it sound better, but I am very happy with the way it sounds. I try not to focus on the systems that I could never afford; it is nothing more than a waste of time in my opinion. Sooner or later I feel therte has to come a time when we all have to become satisfied with what we own. For if we can not, then what's the point.

Again, I am very happy with my system!!!
    I new I should have nipped this in the bud when Feanor brought it up...

Obviously, I expect everyone to love their own systems and I expect that will be the answer for "best budget system" so let's throw that one out right now. I'm not trying to get anyone to question their own gear.

Think of this as fantasy baseball league except for audio. Example: I love my current ride and it's a very nice car by anyone's definition. However, it doesn't compare to the thrill I had two weeks ago piloting a 996 turbo that had been chip'd and piped to the tune of 550hp! Geez, after that my car felt like a Suburban...but I still love it.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Talking

Think of this as fantasy baseball league except for audio. Example: I love my current ride and it's a very nice car by anyone's definition. However, it doesn't compare to the thrill I had two weeks ago piloting a 996 turbo that had been chip'd and piped to the tune of 550hp! Geez, after that my car felt like a Suburban...but I still love it.
    And what's wrong with a Suburban?!
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 04-05-2004 at 03:31 PM.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

What is the best rig that you have ever heard?
    Without a doubt, it has always been HP's system. I have heard it numerous times over a span of twenty five years or so. My first jolt at high end was in 1980 with Koetsu / Goldmund T3 / Goldmund Reference / Denneson JC-80 / Conrad - Johnson Premier One / Infinity IRS. While it wasn't necessarily the best recording at the time, I vividly remember his playing A Ha's "Take on Me" cut. That was my first experience with a system having authority.

Fast forward in time to 2001 to his best system as yet: Lyra Helikon / Clearaudio Master Reference / Groove phono / Burmester 969-970 / C-J ART II / VTL Wotans (main) / Krell KMA-160 (bass) / Alon Grand Exotica / Valhalla cables throughout. Absolutely stunning. Walls disappear. Apparent stage width and depth are immense. I've never heard that much high frequency power, yet utter grace. Every recording reveals layers of detail I'd never heard before. I found myself laughing out loud at the aural delight set before me.

Lucky lad that I am, I will be traveling to Seacliff next weekend to hear his latest. My ears always get completely recalibrated during such visits. The notion that zip cord is equivalent to Valhalla on that system is utterly absurd.

rw

Forum Regular
    It seems that one can not choose their own system, or at least not if you think their system to be a budget one. What is a budget system to you?
    So if I have to answer, and it can not be mine, I'll have to say a system that I heard at a local dealer. Legacy Focus 20/20 speakers, McIntosh solid state amp and line stage, and Marantz SACD player.
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

Wow! Awesome! That's a system I'd love to hear.

In recent years, I'd have to say it was my extended listening with the Dynaudio Evidence Master. That pair was driven by a pair of Krell Reference monoblocks with a Musical Fidelity CD player. The playback was close to flawless with a couple of very demanding test discs. Every other speaker I'd listened to tripped up on some individual aspect with those discs, but not the Danes. One of my test discs is done by a jazz trio that I'd seen live before, and through the Danes, I got that eerie sense of deja vu. What really impressed me about the Evidence was how uniformly at ease it was with electronic and acoustic instruments, and how well it imaged off-axis. Of course, at $80,000 a pair (not to mention about $100k for the amps and $3k for the CD player) it had better sound damn good! (then again, in prior years I've heard many big ticket systems that left me cold)

As far as affordable systems go, I'd have to say right now my recent audition of the Paradigm Studio 20 v.3 was mightily impressive. The imaging on those speakers is amazing for its price point. Hooked up to a $600 Arcam integrated amp, it made for a very nice two-channel rig. I could imagine that an Adire Rava SE would go very nicely with that setup.

P.S. TS - interesting that we have very divergent opinions on the Wilsons. My audition of the Wilson Sophias (hooked into a Theta multichannel front end) was not so impressive. I would hope that the Watt Puppies are different.

Differences in taste is what makes this fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    In recent years, I'd have to say it was my extended listening with the Dynaudio Evidence Master. That pair was driven by a pair of Krell Reference monoblocks with a Musical Fidelity CD player. The playback was close to flawless with a couple of very demanding test discs. Every other speaker I'd listened to tripped up on some individual aspect with those discs, but not the Danes. One of my test discs is done by a jazz trio that I'd seen live before, and through the Danes, I got that eerie sense of deja vu. What really impressed me about the Evidence was how uniformly at ease it was with electronic and acoustic instruments, and how well it imaged off-axis. Of course, at $80,000 a pair (not to mention about $100k for the amps and $3k for the CD player) it had better sound damn good! (then again, in prior years I've heard many big ticket systems that left me cold)

As far as affordable systems go, I'd have to say right now my recent audition of the Paradigm Studio 20 v.3 was mightily impressive. The imaging on those speakers is amazing for its price point. Hooked up to a $600 Arcam integrated amp, it made for a very nice two-channel rig. I could imagine that an Adire Rava SE would go very nicely with that setup.

P.S. TS - interesting that we have very divergent opinions on the Wilsons. My audition of the Wilson Sophias (hooked into a Theta multichannel front end) was not so impressive. I would hope that the Watt Puppies are different.
    Woochifer,

It's funny how different our tastes are because I've heard the Temptations (not Masters) driven by Krell and it left me completely cold. The experience, I'm sorry to say, has actually tainted my opinion of the Danes from top to bottom. Maybe I'll have to give 'em another try in another room with a different front end?

Conversely, you may find you like the WP7's when driven by ARC tubes. Theta's are formidable amps, but I've never found them to be particularily "warm" and that front may simply not have been a great match with the speaks. You never know...

We do agree on the 20v3 tho. That's a very fine speaker and the treble is far, far better than the v2 which tended to grate on me.

It's a horrible job, but somebody's gotta do it.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Without a doubt, it has always been HP's system. I have heard it numerous times over a span of twenty five years or so. My first jolt at high end was in 1980 with Koetsu / Goldmund T3 / Goldmund Reference / Denneson JC-80 / Conrad - Johnson Premier One / Infinity IRS. While it wasn't necessarily the best recording at the time, I vividly remember his playing A Ha's "Take on Me" cut. That was my first experience with a system having authority.

Fast forward in time to 2001 to his best system as yet: Lyra Helikon / Clearaudio Master Reference / Groove phono / Burmester 969-970 / C-J ART II / VTL Wotans (main) / Krell KMA-160 (bass) / Alon Grand Exotica / Valhalla cables throughout. Absolutely stunning. Walls disappear. Apparent stage width and depth are immense. I've never heard that much high frequency power, yet utter grace. Every recording reveals layers of detail I'd never heard before. I found myself laughing out loud at the aural delight set before me.

Lucky lad that I am, I will be traveling to Seacliff next weekend to hear his latest. My ears always get completely recalibrated during such visits. The notion that zip cord is equivalent to Valhalla on that system is utterly absurd.

rw
    Tough life rw...

a-ha? A-HA??? It's hard for me to even imagine HP playing pop like that! Not that there's anything wrong with it as I actually have that album (not disc, now I'm dating myself) and it's a lot of fun. You've referenced HP before and I was curious, how do you know him? Actually, a better questions is do you need company for your trip .

I'd say "Have fun" but that would be understatement of truly epic proportions.

Best of the best

Hard to say best. but I can tell you in no uncertain terms there were a few systems that left me stunned. They provided *exceptional* sound and involvment. And they were not always the megabuck stuff.

PMC/BRYSTON/CHORD: the new GB-1 speakers sounded magnificent. They do so much so well, you can't believe the size or price. Great slam and detail.

Vandersteen audio 2ce signatures/exposure: absoloute transparency...the superlatives are true. It was beautiful and liquid music...totally boxless. This is music!

Soundlab Ultimates/wolcott audio: another completely open, fast and uncolored experiance.

Zingali/art audio these massive speakers use a 15" wooden horn tweeter, and two 15" woofers in a tapered. The horn coloration was low---but pleasent and "woody" warm. Superb impact, clarity and definition

Avalon eidolon (ceramic): these were articulate and silky smooth

Joseph audio rm33i: very revealing, dynamic and huge sounding

Proac response D38: wonderfully musical and airy.

Kef 103.3/104/2 + counterpoint/linn ...hmm sounds familiar. But the stuff does so much right, and can be had for a song compared to new gear. I was taken, and bought the stuff immediately.

There are more, but my point here I suppose is that excellence comes in many flavors and prices. They all produce that goose-flesh and euphoric sonic bliss. They transcend real criticism, they are just different types of "great."

The best I've heard are actually among one of the cheapest (considering)

EdgarHorn TiTans
    Attached Images Attached Images  

enjoy the music!

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin
    The best I've heard are actually among one of the cheapest (considering)

EdgarHorn TiTans
    I just read the brief on the Titans from CES in TAS and immediately thought of you, brother. As soon as I saw the pic, your speakers came to mind. Good Lord they are BIG!

I just read the brief on the Titans from CES in TAS and immediately thought of you, brother. As soon as I saw the pic, your speakers came to mind. Good Lord they are BIG!

hehe, while mine aren't actual TiTans...they obviously built with the TiTans in mind. It's funny, I did want to go after the sound of the TiTans, but wanted to come up with a speaker that had it's own look to them. After some time pondering what design I would use...I came up with something, while not identical, are very close. I think it may be a good example of form following function. There was only so many things you could do with those things lol

hehe...yeah, the TiTans are on the somewhat larger side...maybe in the medium large category

enjoy the music!

Tough life rw...

a-ha? A-HA??? It's hard for me to even imagine HP playing pop like that! Not that there's anything wrong with it as I actually have that album (not disc, now I'm dating myself) and it's a lot of fun.
    While the majority of what he listens to is unquestionably classical in nature, you might be surprised at some of what he plays. The last time I was there, he played The Charlie Daniels Band "Devil Went Down to Georgia" cut ! Sounds awesome on the Alons. I usually bring some CDRs of mine so see what they would sound like. You wouldn't believe how nice Madonna's "Frozen" can sound. It's amazing how that system reveals layers of rhythmic content that I was never aware of before. It is so easy to follow any musical line.

You've referenced HP before and I was curious, how do you know him?
    Short answer - dumb luck and fortuitous geography. Long answer starts with the fact that during my teen years, I was completely absorbed into audio. Since the age of 15, I worked summers just to plow back into the system. I went through a fairly steep improvement curve for several years. Even still, I couldn't imagine what the exotic stuff was like. In 1974, I checked out a new audio store. I usually liked to ask a sales guy a couple of questions for which I knew the answers to see what kind of line of BS they would feed me. This guy didn't and I was dumbfounded. He was completely honest and quite frank as to his opinions (we later became good friends). He also carried some nice lines like Magnepan, Audio Research, Crown, Braun, and H-K. While he had a pair of Tympani's upstairs, he invited me along with some guys from the shop to hear his pair after business one Saturday night. They were bi-amped Tympani I-Us using Audio Research electronics, Linn table, SME, and an Ortofon MC cartridge. Although I was never much a Paul Simon fan, I distinctly remember hearing "Kodachrome" on the Maggies. I had never heard a speaker not sound like a speaker in a box. Voices were incredibly natural. Well Julian knew a bunch of Atlanta area audiophiles including Dr. John Cooledge (aka JWC of TAS). I met him over at the store one Saturday afternoon (my usual weekend activity) and the good Doctor invited Julian, Sam, and me to his house for dinner and some listening. This was when I was first exposed to John's Dayton-Wright electrostatics - I've been hooked ever since. I was immediately taken at their pure, coherent sound. Incidentally, it was both Julian and John who really got me into classical since that was what both of them favored. My "freeze frame" musical memory on the Dayton's was an EMI recording of Michel Beroff playing Prokofiev piano concertos. Incredible. Late in '76, Bob Reiman and Jim Strickland had brought JWC a pair of Acoustats to review. Julian soon picked up the line. I had my own pair a year later. About that same time, Harry came to Atlanta to visit JWC. Being the gracious host, JWC had invited some of the guys over to Chez Cooledge to meet him. At age 21, I found him rather bigger than life to say the least. We have been good friends since and he has proven to be a valuable mentor along with Julian and JWC. I made my first trip to Seacliff in '80 when he had the big IRS towers. This was kind of a pivotal point in my audio awareness in that for the first time I could say that I had really heard what the state-of-the-art could do. In one sense, my journey to audio nirvana had ended. There really was no where else to go (at least for 1980). Anyway, he really is a fascinating guy with an infectious laugh - more like a cackle. Boy, can he tell some audio related stories and he is not shy to speak his mind! He also taught me how to listen and what to listen for.

Actually, a better questions is do you need company for your trip .
    I truly wish others had the same opportunity. I find that my point of reference as to what an audio system can do gets completely recalibrated when I visit HP. His current system is simply beyond belief. It is so revealing of everything - recordings and components alike. I remember hearing the GamuT CD-1 vs. the Burmester 969/970. The differences were immediately obvious after about twenty minutes of listening. While the GamuT was very nice and the relatively inexpensive underdog, the Burmesters bettered it in several respects. (I bought a GamuT shortly thereafter)

I'd say "Have fun" but that would be understatement of truly epic proportions.
    Thanks. Long Island also affords me another treat - absolutely wonderful sushi better than is available in Georgia. My senses go into a bit of sensory overload during those trips.

rw

DMK
    Forum Regular
    Best System:

Brentworth Sound Labs Type III-A loudspeakers- $7500
    Wyetech Labs Opal Linestage - $8000
    Wyetech Labs Topaz power amp - $8000
    Klyne Series 7 (can't recall the model #) phono stage - $4500
    Basis Debut Turntable - $10,500
    Graham 2.2 tonearm - $3200
    Benz Ruby cartridge - $3000
    CD player - WHAT CD player??? Can't recall, don't care.

This system made MUSIC! For anyone who believes that we can't create any semblance of the live experience in our homes, I offer this system as powerful evidence to the contrary. I've heard more expensive but I've never heard better.

Best Cheap system:

Sound Dynamics RTS-3's - bought used for $80
    Vintage Kenwood KA-7300 integrated - bought used for $50
    Cheapo Sony CDP - $100

This system is currently making music in my bedroom system. It betters systems I've heard that cost upwards of $1000. I also use a cassette deck with it occasionally and could hook up a turntable if I so desired. Those speakers are giant killers. They look like something your kid brother slapped together in the garage after sniffing model airplane glue but they sound like a couple grand! Bass down to 46 hz, too - not bad for a little bookshelf model.

F1
    Yeah, I guess you're right. I didn't really consider this a poll, I was just interested in other people's experiences and perceptions.
    Audio can be so serious some times
    Thanks for the reply F
    When I was in offshore last week, my laptop put out the best sounding CD ...

Ohm F's, long ago at Bay-Bloor Radio in T.O. ...

I heard a pair of Ohm F, Walsh driver speakers: I had the reaction you're talking about. That was the first, and one of the few times I've really had such a reaction. That was about 1975. I have no recollection of what was driving them: might have been a large Marantz solid state.

I bought the F's a year or so later and owned them for 5-6 years. To driver them, I bought a Phase Linear 400 in about 1978, and that amp really did the job. I still have the PL and have only recently switch to a NAD C270 which is driving my current, Magneplanar MMG's.

By the way Bay-Bloor Radio, in Toronto, is still very much in business, being (still) one of the most prominent hifi/home theatre retailers in Canada.

don
    AR Newbie Registered Member

are Brentworth Sound Labs type 1 speakers any good?

I'm new to this forum and from the dollar value I'm seeing it's definetly out of my league. But, I could use some feedback.
    I'm trying to get some information on a pair of BSL Type 1 loudspeakers. My current system is all missmatched. I'm trying to upgrade on a budget. I'm currently runing a Pioneer vsx-D811s reciever with a Pioneer DV-c505 DVD player and a Luxman turntable. Rogers fronts/ Avid rears/ Energy AC-300 center/ Synergy sides/ Wharfedale 8.3s in back and a JBL sub. I use my surround a lot for movies but I also enjoy a lot of music. I found a pair of the BSL type 1's that were donated to a store. They want $650 for the pair, but I think he will let them go for about half that. I'm thinking about getting them to replace my Rogers in the front of my surround system. Am I waisting my time and money with my current reciever etc. I'm not familiar with BSL and I havent seen a lot of info on them. I'm hoping they are something I can start to build my system around when I get some extra cash.
    I would appreciate any feedback I could get
    thanks
    Don
    ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information