Thread: just my luck...

AR Newbie Registered Member

just my luck...

I just bought a Pioneer PL-4 from a friend and I realize that the stylus is broken. I am having a really tough time finding a replacement. It's my first record player and I would be most appreciative to any advice. Can any brand of stylus be attached to the arm? I read that one of the members put a grado black? stylus on his. Any affordable suggestions? Thanks guys and gals.

What kind of cartridge and what model is it. Almost all moving magnet cartridges have removable replaceable stylus (needle) assemblies.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    From my search of Pioneer ttables it looks like your table accepts standard mount cartridges. You could certainly replace the cartridge with a Grado cartridge. If the cartridge has no markings or name it would be hard to find a stylus. If the cartridge is old you might be better off with a new cartridge. Hopefully you received the instructions that show how to mount a cartridge if you have never done it yourself. If you have an audio store locally that sells cartridges most that still sell them will install. Some good sources for cartridges and set up tools along with advice are www.needledoctor.com and www.turntablebasics.com.

If you can find any markings on the cart or post a picture we might be able to help further. Welcome to AudioReview.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I don't know your turntable/arm, but I would imagine the first question you should answer is whether the tonearm accepts standard mount (a/k/a 1/2 in.), P-mount or Pioneer proprietary mount cratridges. Once you answer that question you can begin your search. (I would give JohnMichael the benefit of the doubt on his conclusion that your arm accepts standard mount carts because he knows his stuff. But confirming this for yourself and noticing the differences may give you more confidence in selecting a new one.) If the arm accepts standard mount or P-mount cartridges you should have no trouble finding a replacement. If it only accepts some proprietary or special mount made by Pioneer then it may be harder (but not impossible) to find a replacement.

I agree that it's probably better to replace the cartridge rather than the stylus/needle that is part of the cartridge especially if you're considering something around $40-50 like the Grado Black. BTW, the Grados come in both standard mount and P-mount versions. (I recently put a Grado Black on a Technics that only accepts P-mounts.)

A budget would also be helpful in making recommendations.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thank you for your promt replies, I believe that my current stylus is the stock one, I have attatched some pics, I hope they help. I did not find any identification markings on it anywhere. As far as budget, anything under a 80bucks or so would be fine. thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails just my luck...-stylus1.jpg   just my luck...-stylus2.jpg  

Hi, Sleeperbold. If you can determine what make and model your cartridge is you should be able to get a replacement stylus at www.needledoctor.com . An alternative would be to replace the entire cartridge. You will need a stylus protractor to align it properly.

The information below is where you can get a stylus protractor to align cartridges. I got this from www.enjoythemusic.com .

This protractor tool is used for your vinyl turntable to insure proper alignment of the cartridge on your tonearm. This version is printed on a high quality cardboard sheet 4 inches wide by 7 inches long (DL or a C5 envelope for my European and overseas friends). All i ask is that you send your request with a self addressed stamped envelope inside that will fit the protractor to the dude nearest to you. Below is the listing of the locations where it is available for free:

Mike Clapperton
    P.O. Box 2133
    Link Hills
    Natal
    South Africa

Melbourne Audio Club Inc
    P.O. Box 27
    Forest Hills Vic
    Australia

Sead Lejlic
    Alipasina 45-a
    71000 Sarajevo
    Bosnia and Herzegovina

Tony Maresch
    5th Floor, 6075 Yonge St.
    Toronto, Ontario
    M2M 3W2
    Canada

Jacques Daigneau
    46 avenue du bois de verrieres
    92160 Antony
    France
    Hartmut Quaschik
    Strassl ins Holz 19
    81829 Munich
    Germany

Dr. Lucio Cadeddu
    Dept. of Mathematics
    University of CAGLIARI
    Via Ospedale 72
    09124 Cagliari
    Italy

Paul K K Chin
    156, Holiday Park,
    Bakam, 98000 Miri,
    Sarawak,
    Malaysia

André Huisman
    New Line licht en geluid
    Kanaalweg 100 b
    8861 KJ Harlingen
    Netherlands

RJ
    392 New Brighton Road
    New Brighton
    Christchurch
    New Zealand

Geir Braendvik
    Department of Philosophy
    P.O. Box 1020 Blindern
    N-0315 Oslo
    Norway

Gerry Kaimo
    n/a records
    910 W PSE Bldg.
    Exchange Rd.
    Ortigas Center
    Pasig City 1605
    Philippines

Iain A F Fleming
    8 St. Magdalenes
    Linlithgow
    West Lothian
    EH49 6AQ
    Scotland

Melvin Ang
    43 Jalan Haji Salam
    Singapore 468831 Ashley Chua
    BLK 319, Shunfu Road
    #03-10
    Singapore 70319

Claudio Rodil
    Felipe Campos, 18
    Primera Planta
    28002 Madrid
    Spain

David Lundin
    Bunkegatan 10
    331 52 Värnamo
    Sweden

James Chang
    11F, No. 216, Wen Lin North Road,
    Taipei, Taiwan

Teeranut Vanitchayanguranont
    45/10 Damrongrug Road
    Klongmahanak Pomparb
    Bangkok 10100
    Thailland

Dr. Simon Busbridge
    Dept. of Mech. and Manufct. Eng.
    University of Brighton
    Lewes Road
    Moulsecoomb
    Brighton BN2 4GJ
    U.K.

Todd Warnke
    922 Oakwood Drive
    Castle Rock, CO 80104
    U. S. A.

Prodanovic Aleksandar
    Santiceva 2
    21420 BAC
    Yugoslavia
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeperbold
    Thank you for your promt replies, I believe that my current stylus is the stock one, I have attatched some pics, I hope they help. I did not find any identification markings on it anywhere. As far as budget, anything under a 80bucks or so would be fine. thanks again.

My initial thought is that you have an Audio Technica cartridge. If you pull down the removeable stylus assembly and look at the end of the cantilever opposite the needle and if you see two small magnets at a 45 dgree from each other it is an AT. Needle doctor would have a stylus for you and you would not have to remount the cart.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thread Information