Sansui W-103 woofer

Printable View

• 12-05-2009, 11:50 AM
    rockteach
    Sansui W-103 woofer
    Hey,
    Need a little advice. I have got this great sounding Sansui 8080 amp/receiver pushing Sansui SP-1200 speakers. One of the W-103 woofers has a sort of rattle in it. Seems to be coming from the center cone. Pulled the speaker out of the cabinet and connections look and I can't find any tear in it any where. Any body have any idea of what the problem could be? Found a replacement W-103 online. Just wondering if I should replace it or is there a fix?

thanks
  • 12-05-2009, 01:12 PM
    harley .guy07
    It is probably the voice coil coming loose from the cone and starting to rattle. This problem will only get worse as time goes by so if you have a good price on a replacement unit I would jump on it. And then take your old woofer and see if your can fix the voice coil and keep it as a backup. There is a way to fix this but most of the time people will replace the voice coil and cone assemblies instead of fixing them.
  • 12-05-2009, 05:42 PM
    rockteach
    Sansui W-103
    Hey harley .guy07,

Thanks for diagnosis. That sounds right and makes sense. I found a pair of W-103s for $88 so I'm going to go ahead and order them. Will still get the current one fixed. These are bound to get more scarce as time goes on.

thanks