Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SACD where I didn't suspect it!!!

I still am having trouble believing that I've had an SACD player for over two years now and didn't know it.
    Once upon a time, I filled out one of those on-line survey thingies that send you a free gift when you're done. It was actually a very long and aggravating process that I'd never go though again, but I did get my gift a couple of years back. It was an HTIB system from Yamaha. Included in the system was a Yammie DVD player. It's one of those 5 DVD caracole types. Since everything else in the system is on the cheap-o side, I never gave the DVD player a second thought. The speakers have been replaced and the system does bedroom duty for me. Over the weekend our cable box locked up and I had to pull the plug to re-boot it. While I was waiting, I noticed something I didn't expect. This cheap-o DVD player that's several years removed from the current technology also plays SACD's. It's got analog jacks in the back for multi-sound out. Who would have guessed it? Not me. I never ever thought to look. It can't be one of the better units, but I'll have to give it a shot.

I feel like such a fool sometimes. (only when I'm awake though)
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    ROFLMAO!
    Just think if you were buying SACD's the last 2 years ago maybe you would have been the difference maker - SACD could be mainstream right now.

Chances are the DVD player is NOT an el cheapo unit - they often bundle in some of their regular production models into those HTIB thingys.
    I have a Yammie universal that I liked enough to buy over Sony, Denon, Marantz and Pioneer Elite offerings. It's not the greatest as far as picture quality goes but I don't have it hooked up to a screen so what do I care?

Soo....got any SACD's?

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    ROFLMAO!
    Just think if you were buying SACD's the last 2 years ago maybe you would have been the difference maker - SACD could be mainstream right now.

Chances are the DVD player is NOT an el cheapo unit - they often bundle in some of their regular production models into those HTIB thingys.
    I have a Yammie universal that I liked enough to buy over Sony, Denon, Marantz and Pioneer Elite offerings. It's not the greatest as far as picture quality goes but I don't have it hooked up to a screen so what do I care?

Soo....got any SACD's?
    Yeah right. I was the guy who could have put SACD's over the top.

I'll check out the model number when I get home tonight. The receiver is an HTR-5740. It's not a bad unit at all, but it's not their top unit either. Does great in a 14'x21' bedroom.
    The speakers were crap though. Replaced them with JBL E20's that were on sale for $40 a pair. The difference was amazing. The E20's are many times better than the Yamaha speakers it came with. I just figured that the DVD player would be in the same class.

Maybe it saved me though. I had ruled out the 40GB PS3 because it doesn't have SACD. I would have bought that model if I knew that I already had a player. Now I find out that the 40GB is having major return numbers.
    Saved by what I didn't know.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

So do you plan on eventually upgrading your AVR to one that is HDMI 1.1 or up. You now have two HD players that require HDMI to get their full potential. How the list keeps growing.....

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    So do you plan on eventually upgrading your AVR to one that is HDMI 1.1 or up. You now have two HD players that require HDMI to get their full potential. How the list keeps growing.....
    It is on the list. But my list for upgrades far exceeds my list of income.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    HDMI receivers...hmmm, could be my next mandatory purchase.
    We're still in limbo regarding moving in 2008 so my moratorium on new purchases remains - I haven't built a speaker in about 5 months now and the 360 is the only new addition.
    I suspect once we figure things out I'll be needing yet another new AVR to go with the PS3/Bluray player or whatever I end up getting.

Are multi-channel inputs not sufficient for carrying the hi-rez audio formats on BluRay? I assume the PS3 doesn't have them anyway.

Are multi-channel inputs not sufficient for carrying the hi-rez audio formats on BluRay? I assume the PS3 doesn't have them anyway.
    Right. The PS3 does have any. But my DVD payer does! Go figure.

HDMI receivers...hmmm, could be my next mandatory purchase.
    We're still in limbo regarding moving in 2008 so my moratorium on new purchases remains - I haven't built a speaker in about 5 months now and the 360 is the only new addition.
    I suspect once we figure things out I'll be needing yet another new AVR to go with the PS3/Bluray player or whatever I end up getting.

No the MC is fine, but as you said, some players just don't support it.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I still am having trouble believing that I've had an SACD player for over two years now and didn't know it.
    Once upon a time, I filled out one of those on-line survey thingies that send you a free gift when you're done. It was actually a very long and aggravating process that I'd never go though again, but I did get my gift a couple of years back. It was an HTIB system from Yamaha. Included in the system was a Yammie DVD player. It's one of those 5 DVD caracole types. Since everything else in the system is on the cheap-o side, I never gave the DVD player a second thought. The speakers have been replaced and the system does bedroom duty for me. Over the weekend our cable box locked up and I had to pull the plug to re-boot it. While I was waiting, I noticed something I didn't expect. This cheap-o DVD player that's several years removed from the current technology also plays SACD's. It's got analog jacks in the back for multi-sound out. Who would have guessed it? Not me. I never ever thought to look. It can't be one of the better units, but I'll have to give it a shot.

I feel like such a fool sometimes. (only when I'm awake though)
    Poster child for a pet peeve of mine, people who dont read instructions.
    That player is quite good, I almost bought one, but for a Samsung model that played sacd AND dvdaudio, and cost 129 bucks.
    Go buya some Sacds, I reccomend the herbie hancock headhunters and miles davis kinda blue of course.
    FUNNY how most of my SACDs' are jazz, and most of my DVDAUDIOS are pop/rock.
    You HAVE checked your player to see if it plays (or doesnt) DVDAUDIO of course?
    Of course you have!
    Havent you?
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Poster child for a pet peeve of mine, people who dont read instructions.
    That player is quite good, I almost bought one, but for a Samsung model that played sacd AND dvdaudio, and cost 129 bucks.
    Go buya some Sacds, I reccomend the herbie hancock headhunters and miles davis kinda blue of course.
    FUNNY how most of my SACDs' are jazz, and most of my DVDAUDIOS are pop/rock.
    You HAVE checked your player to see if it plays (or doesnt) DVDAUDIO of course?
    Of course you have!
    Havent you?
    Nope, but I did run out to the living room to check my $800 CD player to see if it played SACD's. It doesn't.

It was a free HTIB. Who knew?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Kewl. Well this just hastens the inevitable...the joy all of us get in helping you decide on your first SACD purchases! And you can forget all the esoteric jazz and stuffy classical and general globbledegook that I listen too. Nah, we need some tunes for Bear Manor.

Of course Dark Side of the Moon should be at the top of the list but here's one out of left field: John Mayer's Heavier Things. This is some great rock/pop by a kid who is just starting to get the recognition he deserves as a serious musician. Add tothat soem some impeccable production and great surround effects and you've got the Minis singing and probably you and wifey too.

Have fun.

Oh yeah, NP:

Hmmm...Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" and of course Charles Mingus - "Mingus ah um" are awesome.
    I love Beethoven's 5th by Kleiber on SACD if you need a classical selection off the bat.

Alison Krauss- New Favorite is an awesome listen, and Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral kicks some serious ass if you want something harder.

That's 5 awesome, easily accessible options for ya.
    Of course you have to get DSOTM - they should just stuff one in the box of every SACD player.

Ditto those

Hmmm...Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" and of course Charles Mingus - "Mingus ah um" are awesome.
    I love Beethoven's 5th by Kleiber on SACD if you need a classical selection off the bat.

I have the three above plus DSOTM, and love 'em. All ARE huge "classics", using the term in a generic sense.
    Last edited by Feanor; 11-13-2007 at 10:25 AM.

But I've already heard DSOTM twelve thousand, eight hundred, sixty nine and two thirds times.

Great post by Kex but a word to the wise, the Alison Krauss SACD is "Out of Print". Get it now while you can because the street price has already shot up. I suspect 40 bones is the minimum you can expect to pay, and if it interests you grab it quick because it won't stay there.

What the heck!?

I thought that SACD's were a "nitch" market. Why is it that Amazon has 3,413 listings for them?

Ain't dead yet!!

(weeps, sniffles)

But I've already heard DSOTM twelve thousand, eight hundred, sixty nine and two thirds times.

So? you haven't heard it in the SACD version.

and I bet you don't own the Vinyl album too eh? time to catch up GM

oh and btw, you never seize to suprise me

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    So? you haven't heard it in the SACD version.

and I bet you don't own the Vinyl album too eh? time to catch up GM

oh and btw, you never seize to suprise me

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Vinyl? Are you kidding me?

I've owned it on 8-track
    Then casset
    Then vinyl
    Then bought a second vinyl to use as a master to record more cassets to replace the casset that died.
    Then recorded it on lots of cassets each time the next one died.
    Eventually wore out the second vinyl and bought a third.
    Then a CD as a master
    Then recorded onto the hard drive of my CD-R.
    More CD's made to keep in my mine and the wife's car.
    Then recorded onto the computer
    Then ripped to the wife's IPOD.
    Last weekend I ripped it to the MP3 that's in her new cell phone.

How many copies of this stinking thing do I need?

OK OK, just 2 more.
    An SACD and then an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray (BUT NOT BOTH!)

Vinyl? Are you kidding me?

I've owned it on 8-track
    Then casset
    Then vinyl
    Then bought a second vinyl to use as a master to record more cassets to replace the casset that died.
    Then recorded it on lots of cassets each time the next one died.
    Eventually wore out the second vinyl and bought a third.
    Then a CD as a master
    Then recorded onto the hard drive of my CD-R.
    More CD's made to keep in my mine and the wife's car.
    Then recorded onto the computer
    Then ripped to the wife's IPOD.
    Last weekend I ripped it to the MP3 that's in her new cell phone.

How many copies of this stinking thing do I need?

OK OK, just 2 more.
    An SACD and then an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray (BUT NOT BOTH!)
    whoa...

Good point...

BUT! you have never heard the vinyl version on your minis

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

whoa...

Good point...

BUT! you have never heard the vinyl version on your minis

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    I could always dig up one of the three I have (I'm sure one of them made it through the big meltdown) and brush the dust off my old TT.

The SACD will do just fine.

Cool

FOURTY NINE THOUSAND , seven hundred and thirty two to go
    See basati's avatar? Just go look for that, its the cover of Herbie Hancocks
    HEADHUNTERS.
    There are four tracks on this one, each mind blowing.
    But you know that.
    Don't you?
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    FOURTY NINE THOUSAND , seven hundred and thirty two to go
    See basati's avatar? Just go look for that, its the cover of Herbie Hancocks
    HEADHUNTERS.
    There are four tracks on this one, each mind blowing.
    But you know that.
    Don't you?
    My mind has already been blown.

My mind has already been blown.

you could try to blow it again???
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

you could try to blow it again???
    Doh!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information