Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sacd Music!

Forum Regular

Talking Sacd Music!

I've heard lots of blogs about how much better SACD's sound compared to regular CD's. In thinking of purchasing a OPPO BDP 83 and it plays SACD disks and I listen to all kinds of music so I would like to know if its worth the investment to buy a SACD compatable player and SACD Music disks. Is the sound that much better!

Most 2ch SACD's sound better than redbok cd's. I find many SACD's to be excellent and better sounding than their std cd counter parts. However, SACD is limited in music selection. If you like rock then it's not really worth it because there are not a whole lot of titles in SACD. If you listen to Classical then it's certainly worth it. There is a decent selection in Jazz and Vocal music. I would browse some on line music stores and take a look at the SACD selection. Also, if you are looking for better recorded and better sounding music, give a listen to XRCD's. The XRCD's that I own are comparible to SACD IMO. www.eastwindimport.com

http://www.cduniverse.com/browsecat....music&cat=2703

The Oppo DP-83 is a very good SACDP, a good CDP and an excellent BRP
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I do think that SACD, DVD-A and Blu-Ray audio is audibly better then Redbook disk.

But the price tag all around is going to be more expensive. The Oppo is a good disk player, well worth it’s price, but think about the receiver/amp you’re using, the speaker you’re using, are they decent to get the maximum quality out of the disks??? Also the price for most selections are about 25% more then Redbook disks. I think it's worth it, the classical pieces alone sold me.

http://www.sa-cd.net/home has a great list of releases
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier
    Adcom GDV-870 DVD-A/CD player
    Yamaha S1800 DVD/SACD player
    Panasonic DMP-BD60K blu Ray player
    PSB Image series speakes s/s
    Dayton RSS210HF 8" reference sub
    Hitachi 46" HD projector screen

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Most 2ch SACD's sound better than redbok cd's. I find many SACD's to be excellent and better sounding than their std cd counter parts. However, SACD is limited in music selection. If you like rock then it's not really worth it because there are not a whole lot of titles in SACD. If you listen to Classical then it's certainly worth it. There is a decent selection in Jazz and Vocal music. I would browse some on line music stores and take a look at the SACD selection. Also, if you are looking for better recorded and better sounding music, give a listen to XRCD's. The XRCD's that I own are comparible to SACD IMO. www.eastwindimport.com

http://www.cduniverse.com/browsecat....music&cat=2703

The Oppo DP-83 is a very good SACDP, a good CDP and an excellent BRP
    Excellent advice.

I would only add that you must be able to live with the idea that discs are quite expensive.

Forum Regular
    The Oppo is at best a compromise for SACD. It will not outperform the dedicated entry level Sony SACD players such as the CE595 ( $150 at BB ). Sony invented this format and put one of their better chips in the 595 to stimulate interest in SACD. Any of the Sony ES models are also excellent choices.

The redbook layer on SACD hybrids is generally superior to that of regular CD's.

Explain how red book 'sounds better' http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_B..._Disc_standard)

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    Explain how red book 'sounds better' http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_B..._Disc_standard)
    It generally sounds better because it is derived from the DSD stream and downsampled to redbook as opposed to coming from a PCM master. Based on that it generally start off on a higher footing than redbook CD.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    The Oppo is at best a compromise for SACD. It will not outperform the dedicated entry level Sony SACD players such as the CE595 ( $150 at BB ). Sony invented this format and put one of their better chips in the 595 to stimulate interest in SACD. Any of the Sony ES models are also excellent choices.
    I don't quite agree with this, but I respect your opinion. The Oppo when outputting DSD to a receiver that can decode it will sound quite a bit more refined than the CE595 as it uses the Texas Instruments DSD1751DBQR, a chipset that is discontinued, outdated, and who performance is eclipsed by most chipsets included in receivers that can decode DSD. Even the analog stages of the Oppo are better than the Sony's, so it is highly doubtful that the Sony can outperform the Oppo.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by errol van
    I've heard lots of blogs about how much better SACD's sound compared to regular CD's. In thinking of purchasing a OPPO BDP 83 and it plays SACD disks and I listen to all kinds of music so I would like to know if its worth the investment to buy a SACD compatable player and SACD Music disks. Is the sound that much better!
    It depends on which SACDP you get and what CDP you get.

I have the Marantz VC 6001 that just kicks the heck out of my Rotel CDP. Much more resolution than the Rotel....and my Sony and Kenwood CDP's. But I also have a Musicl Fedility CDP that comes very close in sound and resolution to the Marantz 6001 SACDP, but the Marantz still has it beat but not by much. I would think the Marantz SA8001 would be even better in resolution than the 6001...oh by the way...the VC6001 is a universal player and not a dedicated SACDP...but it still sound darn good.

But the Musical Fidelity CDP walks all over the Marantz 6001 in red book....its not even close.

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

The BD-83 is an excellent SACDP. I have not read one bad review about it's SACD playback. In fact, everything that I have read said that its an excellent SACDP and universal player.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    The Oppo BDP 83 as a complex universal player must do lots of things well and it's frequency response is 20hz to 20khz.

The 595 is designed to do only one thing well and Sony claims a frequency response of 2hz to 50khz.

I like my BD80 for Blu-ray and my 595 for SACD but I'm glad they're not in the same chassis.

Aging Smartass
    I bought a Marantz SA-8001 a little over two years ago, and have been nothing but delighted with it ever since. SACD's DO sound better than CD's, but as has been said, title selection is limited mostly to classical music, with a smattering here and there of jazz titles and a very rare release of a remastered rock classic (The Doobie Brothers "Tolouse Street" for example).. Not a problem for me, but sure to be for others. Fortunately, the 8001 is also a first-rate "redbook" CD player too.

The 8001 received a Stereophile "Class-A Recommendation," which no SACD player has received since. That's not to say that none are better, but just that the 8001 was an outstanding player and value. From what I've read elsewhere, it's replacement, the SA-8003 is at least as good, or better at $1,000.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

the sound i get

from rbcd on my sony ns500v and marantz 6001 is better than any other cdp i have had in the house. its probably the upscaling prior to filtration (decoding) that accounts for that.

some sacd pricing is no more than list price for rbcd and in many instances less than xrcd which i cannot justify paying those inflated prices for.

fortunately i started buying sacd when they were reasonably priced. the few dvda items i have were also acquired at fair pricing. i will continue to buy sacd product at prices that are reasonable when i find them.

rbcd became much more valuable to me once i got my sacd players because of the improved sound. there is quite a bit of discussion at AA re the sony 5400 sounding VG on rbcd.
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    The Oppo BDP 83 as a complex universal player must do lots of things well and it's frequency response is 20hz to 20khz.

The 595 is designed to do only one thing well and Sony claims a frequency response of 2hz to 50khz.

I like my BD80 for Blu-ray and my 595 for SACD but I'm glad they're not in the same chassis.
    I am afraid you are incorrect about the Oppo's response. It has been measured to go all the way up to 100khz with 24/192khz signals, up to 50khz with SACD converted to PCM, and all the way to 90khz when DSD is streamed to a receiver. It only goes to 20khz with CD based material, and it has to in order to conform with redbook standards.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by errol van
    IF YOU DO NOT have a considerable SACD collection already, then I would not bother,
    as it is a doomed format.
    ANY kind of "high rez" music format is a gone goose.
    BLU has a "ver.III " designed specifically for high rez audio, notice nobodies
    jumping at that bit.
    Its like Ken C. POULMAN said in his latest article, hard copy formats are doomed,
    in five years we will all be using cloud computers to both download an unlimited amount of high q music, and to store our favorite tracks.
    Sure there will always be a place for collectors and their "discs", but in a net universe
    they will become increasingly irrelavant, and you will probably not use your SACD player much, if at all.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    from rbcd on my sony ns500v and marantz 6001 is better than any other cdp i have had in the house. its probably the upscaling prior to filtration (decoding) that accounts for that.

some sacd pricing is no more than list price for rbcd and in many instances less than xrcd which i cannot justify paying those inflated prices for.

fortunately i started buying sacd when they were reasonably priced. the few dvda items i have were also acquired at fair pricing. i will continue to buy sacd product at prices that are reasonable when i find them.

rbcd became much more valuable to me once i got my sacd players because of the improved sound. there is quite a bit of discussion at AA re the sony 5400 sounding VG on rbcd.
    Hey Tommy...glad to hear you speak kindly of the 6001. I to like mine, but im wondering how much better the 8001 can sound.

And I too enjoy buying SACD's. I buy mostly Jazz and classical and not a problem for me. I hear people saying that SACD is almost gone, but I see they keep bringing out new titles, like Marvin Gaye and some others....if they are going away, it sure does not look like it.

frenchmon.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    in five years we will all be using cloud computers to both download an unlimited amount of high q music, and to store our favorite tracks.
    No, you will be.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    No, you will be.
    LOL... I have to agree with poppac here... Not everyone will make the switch.....

And High Res Downloads are unlikely to really take off untill several years from now when Apple decides to launch it as 'the next big thing' (when iPods all have about a TB of storage)...

At the OP, the decision to buy an SACD player comes solely down to whether you can find enough music you like, to justify the expenditure... So as others have suggested: check the online SACD catalogs and then make up your mind...
    Last edited by Ajani; 04-25-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    check the online SACD catalogs and then make up your mind...

I'm sure once you see that Kenny G and Air Supply's catalogues have been converted, you'll be pulling the trigger. You can only imagine what kind of douche's are at the helm of SACD decision making.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

choices in sacd

http://www.elusivedisc.com/searchprods.asp

http://www.musicdirect.com/category/2

http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/4/SACD

among others. i am sure many of these are duplicates sold at each of the sellers but there ARE some choices. and new ones are released now and again.
    ...regards...tr

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    http://www.elusivedisc.com/searchprods.asp

http://www.musicdirect.com/category/2

http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/4/SACD

among others. i am sure many of these are duplicates sold at each of the sellers but there ARE some choices. and new ones are released now and again.
    For classical, (I know, I know), an excellent and accessible source is ArkivMusic. From their home page, on the left side click Browse by ... Super Audio CDs. From there you can browse by Composer, Performer, etc., etc. They say they have almost 2400 selections.

Here's another place to buy SACD's although they are limited in selection. I also buy my XRCD's from them. They are expensive though. I usually buy my SACD's from CD universe.

http://www.eastwindimport.com/
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    IF YOU DO NOT have a considerable SACD collection already, then I would not bother,
    as it is a doomed format.
    It is not quite doomed yet, there are still new releases coming out, and more in the pipeline. It has slowed down though.

ANY kind of "high rez" music format is a gone goose.
    Funny, I can still find SACD out there!

BLU has a "ver.III " designed specifically for high rez audio, notice nobodies
    jumping at that bit.
    Oh really Pixel? You mean Surround Records 35 releases on the Blu ray format does not exist? Or 2L's? Version III of the Blu ray format is already being used by Surround Records and 2L

Its like Ken C. POULMAN said in his latest article, hard copy formats are doomed,
    Ken Pohlmann also stated that the video disc format wars would open the doors to video downloads, and that didn't happen did it?

While websites that feature high resolution downloads are now beginning to pop up, high resolution music is still owned by the disc. One thing is for certain, the high resolution downloads are expensive when compared to the disc, and that will have to turn around if downloads are going to attract me as a prominent way of getting my music.

Sure there will always be a place for collectors and their "discs", but in a net universe
    they will become increasingly irrelavant, and you will probably not use your SACD player much, if at all.
    We are not quite in the net universe just yet, and I will wait till we get there. In the mean time I will enjoy my discs.
    Last edited by Sir Terrence the Terrible; 04-26-2010 at 10:45 AM.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Here's 2L's web site. http://www.2l.no/ It looks like I'm going to have to buy the Oppo BD-83. I bet the disc's are going to be expensive. The question that I have is will we be able to listen to Blu Ray audio through analog inputs or will I have to buy a preamp with HDMI input? All I want is Blu Ray audio in 2ch not 5.1.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Here's 2L's web site. http://www.2l.no/ It looks like I'm going to have to buy the Oppo BD-83. I bet the disc's are going to be expensive. The question that I have is will we be able to listen to Blu Ray audio through analog inputs or will I have to buy a preamp with HDMI input? All I want is Blu Ray audio in 2ch not 5.1.
    You might as well stick with SACD if you are not into 5.1. 2L stuff is optimized for surround as is Surround records titles.

You can listen to the music on Blu ray from the analog outputs or HDMI.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp