Forum Regular

Help connecting Receiver and TV

I need help playing by TV through my receiver + speakers. The receiver is a onyko TX-SV545. The TV is a brand new Vizio VW32L. My problem is this - connecting the two! It seems as though the TV's only audio output is an optical digital audio output. Unfortunately the receiver does not have an optical in as it is an older model. Now there are multiple other audio ports on the television, but none specify audio "out" and I think that they are indeed inputs. Is there any way for me to get around this? It would be a shame if I couldn't use my new system with my TV, (although the turntable does sound great!). Thanks!

Sorry to say, I believe you're correct.

Here's a copy of your manual : http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/pdf/VW32LManual.pdf

AFICT, there is absolutely NO provision. either analog or digital, to take an audio output from the TV set. I might understand this had the TV itelf not contained an internal tuner, but it does!?!

It seems Vizio concentrates on the basic basics and omits some niceties that other manufacturers take as givens in order to keep the price down.

Your only recourse is to run the audio directly from the source to your receiver.
    Last edited by markw; 03-25-2009 at 04:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    AFICT, there is absolutely NO provision. either analog or digital, to take an audio output from the TV set. I might understand this had the TV itelf not contained an internal tuner, but it does!?!
    I also have said TV, but like the OP's, is a later revision. My manual is dated 9/14/2007 and does have a digital output. My surprise is that a 5.1 AV receiver would have no digital inputs. My six year old NAD has four.

rw

You need a new AVR!

Seems like that Onkyo is pro-logic....2 channels in, simulated 5.1 out. It does have 5.1 channel input so you can enjoy 5.1 sound from a DVD or even BR player with 5.1 analog output.

Suspended
    You may be able to pick up a cheap used DAC with optical in and RCA out.

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar

2 Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid_Kaiser
    I need help playing by TV through my receiver + speakers. The receiver is a onyko TX-SV545. The TV is a brand new Vizio VW32L. My problem is this - connecting the two! It seems as though the TV's only audio output is an optical digital audio output. Unfortunately the receiver does not have an optical in as it is an older model. Now there are multiple other audio ports on the television, but none specify audio "out" and I think that they are indeed inputs. Is there any way for me to get around this? It would be a shame if I couldn't use my new system with my TV, (although the turntable does sound great!). Thanks!
    If your receiver does NOT have coax input then you might be able to use a Behringer SCR2496...

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHSRC2496

If your receiver has a coax input then you might be able to use a Midiman M-Audio C02 Coaxial/Optical Bi-Directional Converter

http://www.amazon.com/Midiman-M-Audi...outThisProduct

Hope that helps a little...

since you do seem to have an optical output on the TV.

but the receiver doesn't handle digital inputs (which is normal for a DPL only receiver), this seems to be te cheapest solution I can find : http://sewelldirect.com/GefenTV-Digi...utm_medium=cse

But, consider strongly, that new receivers that can handle almost anything thrown at them are available starting under $200. It might be time for an upgrade.

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    but the receiver doesn't handle digital inputs (which is normal for a DPL only receiver), this seems to be te cheapest solution I can find : http://sewelldirect.com/GefenTV-Digi...utm_medium=cse

But, consider strongly, that new receivers that can handle almost anything thrown at them are available starting under $200. It might be time for an upgrade.
    Looks like the perfect tool for the job!

I also agree that the money should be spent on a new receiver.

Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    Can you pull audio from the cable box? Share (split) the RCAs if you want to be able to hear the TV without the reciever on.
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

Thread Information