Forum Regular

Advice on replacement for Nikko NR-1219 receiver

Ok, I'm starting a new thread here. Everyone jump in if you want and give me advice for a replacment receiver for my now missing NR-1219 which I bought in 1978. It had dual outputs at 100/chan each. I will not be needing anything in the home theatre arena, just audio only. So, what can you recommend for a replacement receiver for, say, under $500 with dual outputs and 100 w/chan. Oh-I should add that one speaker pair is a dual voice coil sub-woofer that sucks up power like crazy. The amp will think it's a dead short at times.

Forum Regular
    Not sure on the dual output thing. Denon has dual zone on the DRA-685 stereo receiver (100 watts a side). Harman Kardon 3480 is a high current design with 120 watts a side a may be able to handle that but not sure. Did you post in the vintage gear site? I'm sure you'd get some help and better answers that what I can offer.

You said Dual Voice coil. I've never heard this term in home audio. Can I assume that your subwoofer needs to be bi-wired? Could you give us info on your speakers? That may come in handy for posts to come.
    How about Jolida 1501RC? 100watts/chhttp://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1165341807
    This particular classified may not last very long, but you can expect to see them again and again. Just keep your eyes open.
    If you are used to older gears, then newer solid state amps may sound too harsh for you. But that is not always the case. Anyhow, with that in mind why not introduce tubes in your pre-stage?
    Those 12AX7s should last you 2000-10,000 hours. They are easy to acquire and about $8-12 a piece.

Forum Regular
    Hey-thanks for the nice replys. My sub dual voice coil means there is only 1 speaker with 2 inputs. Made by Phillips in the 70's. I just replaced the foam surround on it. The sattelite speakers are refurbed JBL L-44's. The original 8" woofers have been replaced. The only thing original now are the cabinets.
    Just because I am 'retro' doesn't mean I want to go back to the 50's for Gods sake. I loved the advent of solid state into the audio world and thinks its crazy to go back to tubes. I like the authentic sound from solid state and use a graphics equalizer to make everything come out right.
    So, any more suggestions on new receivers out there?

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Music Hall makes a 2 channel receiver

Quote Originally Posted by DoneThat
    Hey-thanks for the nice replys. My sub dual voice coil means there is only 1 speaker with 2 inputs. Made by Phillips in the 70's. I just replaced the foam surround on it. The sattelite speakers are refurbed JBL L-44's. The original 8" woofers have been replaced. The only thing original now are the cabinets.
    Just because I am 'retro' doesn't mean I want to go back to the 50's for Gods sake. I loved the advent of solid state into the audio world and thinks its crazy to go back to tubes. I like the authentic sound from solid state and use a graphics equalizer to make everything come out right.
    So, any more suggestions on new receivers out there?
    The Music Hall Maven. I had one for a while, and it DID have outputs for a sub. It also has a built in up-sampling DAC, so you can use your current CD player as a transport, and still get to hear the fluidity that upsampling can bring to CD playback.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    The Music Hall Maven. I had one for a while, and it DID have outputs for a sub. It also has a built in up-sampling DAC, so you can use your current CD player as a transport, and still get to hear the fluidity that upsampling can bring to CD playback.
    I was wondering what you thought of the Maven. Currently I have the Music Hall A25.2, along with the 25.2 tuner and cd player - sounds marvelous in its' current location. But I will soon have an aditional, much larger, room and am looking for a more powerful amp or reciever to feed larger speakers. I was considering the Mambo or the Maven.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I really didn't have it long enough

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lambdin
    I was wondering what you thought of the Maven. Currently I have the Music Hall A25.2, along with the 25.2 tuner and cd player - sounds marvelous in its' current location. But I will soon have an aditional, much larger, room and am looking for a more powerful amp or reciever to feed larger speakers. I was considering the Mambo or the Maven.
    So it's hard to put a tag on it. It was well built.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information