• 02-09-2008, 07:38 AM
    JC4ME
    Receiver needed - buy new or used/vintage?
    I want to spend less than $300 on a receiver (need to have AM-FM).
    (It may be used to power some used B&W speakers (not purchased yet)).

Is it best ot buy new or used (even vintage)? I assume I can get more for my $ if I buy used????

Please comment on new vs. used and can you make a few suggestions on new vs. used?
    What are a few classic, very clean receivers to look for?

Thank you in advance
  • 02-09-2008, 08:24 AM
    Mr Peabody
    Which depends on what you want to do with the receiver. If it will ever be used for home theater you are better off buying new even if you have to go cheap to get the latest decoding and features you can afford. If this will be a stereo (2 channel) only, you are better off going with a used vintage receiver. If I were looking for a used stereo receiver brands like Luxman, Harmon Kardon or Onkyo would be on my list. You could get lucky and find a Rotel or NAD in your price. I've seen used McIntosh for around $400.00 that would be the greatest but you'd have to increase your budget and really look hard and be patient to find one. Luxman have very clean response. I had one that seemed to push a pair of Dynaudio Audience 60's alright but these older receivers weren't really built for 4 ohm speakers with such low sensitivity. HK and Onkyo both have high current amp sections and may give up some of the fidelity of Luxman but will be more capable of driving a difficult speaker load. Rotel or NAD could drive B&W fine and fidelity wise compared to Luxman would be subjective. In my opinion the Rotel and NAD would have a warmer sound but NAD went through a lot of phases of various sound quality. You will get a lot of suggestions of mass market brands and many of them you could get cheap, under $100.00 or even $50.00 but if you are going to buy a high quality speaker, spend the money for the proper amp to drive them. You will enjoy a balanced system much better. If you could go the money a Mac receiver with a decent pair of B&W's would have you in music appreciation bliss. With all of this being said keep in mind you will need a good source. Another thing to consider too is how important would a remote be. If you want remote, it pretty much rules out vintage.
  • 02-09-2008, 08:49 AM
    basite
    Luxman products from in the 60's 70's and very early 80's were very high regarded. A R-1050 would be exellent...

or a vintage technics receiver (I found them to perform really good too), or a Marantz (also vintage)...

I'd definately go used for 400. You can easily find 'some receiver' under $300, but a vintage receiver, or integrated amp, costing the same on ebay is going to outperform them by a couple miles.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 02-09-2008, 07:47 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Basite, you aren't saying the Technics or Marantz comes close to the Luxman are you?
  • 02-10-2008, 01:00 AM
    basite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Basite, you aren't saying the Technics or Marantz comes close to the Luxman are you?

nope, but they are other options if you cannot find the luxman in his budget...

luxman products are better :)
  • 02-10-2008, 05:08 AM
    Mr Peabody
    If you go vintage there are endless options and many cheap. He is planning to buy B&W speakers so I presumed he may also want a quality receiver. I guess B&W even have entry speakers though. Either way I think it's important to keep a distinction between typical receivers like Technics, Marantz, Kenwood, Pioneer etc which you can find for next to nothing, and maybe a Luxman, Rotel, NAD that might yield better than average performance for the extra expense. Hk and Onkyo would fall some where in between in my book.
  • 02-10-2008, 05:46 AM
    Mark111867
    I bought a vintage Onkyo TX-844 (2 channel) receiver on ebay a few years back for about $75. Worth every penny. I agree that vintage is a good option if you are going two channel. If you're not interested in used, Onkyo does have a 2 channel receiver (TX-8522) for about $249 that might be worth checking out. Good luck.
  • 02-11-2008, 03:22 PM
    JC4ME
    Thank you
    Thanks for all the comments. I am looking for a used Rotel or NAD on ebay now.
    Are there certain models to look for or not look for?
    Thank you again for your help. I have not bought equipment since the 70s.
  • 02-11-2008, 07:53 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I don't know the lines well enough to suggest a certain model.

One thing about vintage though, most of those receivers were built before anyone realized the importance of good speaker cable so you may be reduced to bare wire or pins.
  • 02-13-2008, 06:11 AM
    NYC1
    I am in a similar situation as JC4ME as I am buying new floorstanding speakers (KEF iQ5 or Q4) and want a new stereo reciever; I have a 10yr old Yamaha RX-396 which is good but for the new speakers need something more. I have looked at a new Yamaha RX-497 or 797 but am not really going to be getting surround sound for a long time. Then I looked at Cambridge Audio Azur 540A V2 or 540R V2 but with integrated amps I will have to get a tuner as I like to listen to FM/AM sometimes and again don't need 6.1 surround, or I looked at the Harman Kardon HK3480 or HK3485 High Current Stereo Receivers. I've heard mixed reviews about all of them depending on who I talk to and what speakers they have or kind of system they're running. I love listening to music but have a budget, which is why I'm searching for used on the net, and will only be having at the most 4 speakers eventually.
    Any ideas/comments/opinions/rants and raves?
  • 02-13-2008, 06:54 AM
    Mark111867
    HI NYC1. Depending on your budget, the NAD C720BEE (2 channel receiver) might be a good way to go. It sells for around $599 new, but if you check ebay, you might find it used for a lot less. Don't let the 50 watt rating fool you either. I used a Yamaha RX-596 receiver for about 5 or 6 years, which was rated at 80 watts per channel. The 50 watt NAD is not quite as powerful as the Yamaha's 80 watts, but it is pretty darn close. Good luck.
  • 02-13-2008, 08:30 AM
    biggertroy
    I dont know where you live but there is a audio video repair shop in Valdese N.C. called Burke audio and video. I was looking around at some of his for sale stuff and he had a old but never used 2 channel Carver receiver for sale for I think 300 bucks . He also had some Carver seperates and lots of other old stuff like Optonica. He repaired an NHT sa2 amp for me and done a very professional job. Might be worth checking into . He might ship it to you.
  • 02-14-2008, 07:17 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Man, I'd stay away from Carver, major reliability problems. You can get a tuner cheap. Take a look at the Onkyo 9555 integrated, it's a giant killer.
  • 02-15-2008, 05:04 PM
    blackraven
    I would take a chance on the HK 3485, for $245 you cant go wrong. If you dont like it you can always use it as a preamp and purchase a 2ch amp. I've heard the HK and it has a nice sound.
  • 02-15-2008, 08:08 PM
    IBSTORMIN
    Onkyo over HK
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackraven
    I would take a chance on the HK 3485, for $245 you cant go wrong. If you dont like it you can always use it as a preamp and purchase a 2ch amp. I've heard the HK and it has a nice sound.

IMHO HK has a nice sound but used to have reliability problems a few years back. I don't know if that has changed. Seems like they always have alot of reconditioned for sale on their E-bay store. I switched to Onkyo because of it and have never been sorry. I'd buy an integrated Onkyo Integra & a seperate tuner. It will give you the best sound for the money & will last for years.
  • 02-16-2008, 02:33 AM
    Scott W
    Just be careful buying off ebay
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JC4ME
    Thanks for all the comments. I am looking for a used Rotel or NAD on ebay now.
    Are there certain models to look for or not look for?
    Thank you again for your help. I have not bought equipment since the 70s.

You probably already know what I am saying but just in case......Make sure the seller has excellent feedback and lots of transactions under his/her belt,don't be afraid to ask questions about return policies etc.There are some great sellers and some crooks and it's not always easy to tell them apart.I say this because I bought a 5.1 pre myself from ebay,from a seller with 100% positive feedback and assumed I was safe,turns out he was selling "for a friend",it arrived with no operators manual and by the time I found one online,played with all the parameters etc.and realized it was defective,it was too late to return it.Good Luck
  • 03-29-2008, 06:56 AM
    Paintbrush1
    SonySTR-AV370X
    I,ve recently purchased a Sony AM-FM reciever Model no.STR-AV370X.I,m looking for info on it.Can anybody help.