Rebuilding my system....

Printable View

• 01-26-2007, 11:10 AM
    corky newman
    Rebuilding my system....
    Got a divorce last year and bought a smaller house for my self...I had one spare bedroom with a nice slanted ceiling. I bought a nice leather recliner from lazyboy and started rebuilding a nice small room system...
    I kept some stuff I had, and dumped some....
    this is what I have now....

Sansui AU417..mint cond.
    Paradigm S3E speakers
    Rotel 965BX LE CD player
    Onkyo DX 1800 CD player
    Marantz PRO CD recorder
    Grado head phones...

I have a Rotel RC 970 BX pre amp coming monday..and I will give it a try into the Sansui. but thinking about a new amp..like a class A Yamaha, or a Onkyo..or even a Rotel.
    I like the fact I can still have loudness & alittle added power amp EQ on the sansui..?

I use the Onkyo CD player on the older Cd's as it smooths the bad recordings out..the Rotel shows the bad recordings way to much...but on newer Cd's its the bomb.
    I stopped useing my Tube DAC, as it was very ear fatigueing in my small room.
    and I sold my OHM model L speakers and moved the JBL Riva's, to my TV in the living room....This small room loves just the Paradigms....

Any suggestions......I dont know anything about power amps ...I was allways a Intergrated amp guy...

I love stereo gear, allways was a audio nut..but money is allways a factor.
    I sold off my Turntable & all my vinyl, and went pure CD's...with my tube DAC its very very close if I want it to be, but I find the Rotel is fine for all the newer Cd's...
    I did bi amp my old Riva's and the sound was more open, but again became ear fatigueing..so the paradigms are not bi amped...
    On amps...some tube models can be had...? I dont know anything about them...and Class A...? yamaha.........thanks...corky
  • 01-26-2007, 12:47 PM
    basite
    erm, a class-A yamaha?
    if that ever happens,

the only power amp yamaha produces now is a digital amp (class D).

a rotel RB-1070 is a good amp, also check out nad, and others,
    go audition them,

what is your budget, this will help us to narrow down our suggestions...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 01-26-2007, 02:17 PM
    corky newman
    I saw a few older Yamaha power amps ....
    and it had a AUTO CLASS A....I was told it lowers the wattage to a sweeter detail..?????
    I have about $500 to look at a amp....but I saw some nice Onkyo's on ebay for about $200
  • 01-27-2007, 05:11 PM
    topspeed
    $500 will buy you a lot of nice used amps. Check audiogon.com for a much better selection than you'll find on ebay. Just a quick glance noted Forte, Threshold, Adcom, NAD, and many others that are in your price range. I'm partial to Threshold/Forte as they were designed by Nelson Pass, a legendary designer. There is also a PS Audio HCA 2 for $750 available. Geoffcin (moderator here), myself, as well as a few other members here use this amp and although I've always admired ARC amps, I can honestly say that I have no desire whatsoever to ever trade in this little honey. Check it out.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1175121019

Hope this helps.
  • 01-29-2007, 08:16 AM
    corky newman
    Thanks Topspeed...I will look there..
    Getting a new Rotel Pre amp today...will see what it sounds like useing the sansui only as a power amp...
  • 02-05-2007, 10:55 AM
    corky newman
    The new power amp...
    It came down to these 3 ...Hafler DH200, Adcom 545II, and the Rotel 970BX...
    I liked the smoothness of the Hafler, but the rotel had better detail...but then I heard a Adcom 545II..wow had to have it....found it for $175.00.....Great with my Rotel pre amp...
    Thanks for all the help.....corky
  • 02-05-2007, 11:00 AM
    JoeE SP9
    Good choice! Check my equipment list.:)
  • 02-05-2007, 12:04 PM
    SlumpBuster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by basite
    erm, a class-A yamaha?
    if that ever happens,

It happened.
    I have a class A yamaha... You been pwned!:cornut:
  • 02-05-2007, 12:07 PM
    SlumpBuster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by corky newman
    and it had a AUTO CLASS A....I was told it lowers the wattage to a sweeter detail..?????

I wouldn't let Class A sway you. I can't hear the difference, but it's nice to know it's their. :D