Forum Regular

Turning cdp on/off harmful to amp?

I have had my amp on for a couple of days now and I noticed that when my cd player is not on the amp cools down almost as if its not even on. I was wondering if its actually harmful to the amp if I turn my cd player on and off multiple times in the day knowing that the cd player delivers current to the amplifier. If I have my amp on 24/7 should I even leave my cd player on as well?

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ninetynine
    I have had my amp on for a couple of days now and I noticed that when my cd player is not on the amp cools down almost as if its not even on. I was wondering if its actually harmful to the amp if I turn my cd player on and off multiple times in the day knowing that the cd player delivers current to the amplifier. If I have my amp on 24/7 should I even leave my cd player on as well?
    There is nothing in a CD player that would affect heating/cooling of an amplifier. A CD player does not deliver any "current" to an amplifier (or preamp or receiver) that by itself would cause heating. The output from a CD player is a harmless, low-voltage signal. There must be some other factor at play with your amp. If you turn on your CD player and listen to music, of course the amplifier will get hotter and vice-versa, cool down when not being driven. BTW, I read some of your other posts and you seem to be overly concerned with turning components on and off and standby. Don't be. I would say you turn your equipment on when you need to use it and turn it on when you're done. In more than three decades of turning my equipment on and off when I needed to use it, this has never been a problem. Knock on wood, I have never ever had any AUDIO component go bad and need to be repaired [VCRs and TVs are another matter].
    Last edited by Glen B; 05-04-2005 at 01:02 PM.

Thread Information