Forum Regular

Power connection question

Hello everyone,

I have 8 high end units consist of :Krell preamp, Krell CD player, Turntable, DVD, VHS, Tape cassettes, and Tuner, and i would like to know what the best way to connect their cords to power line. I see there is distributers, filtrations, and generators and i cant make decision which one i go for.

Its important also that i have very neutral power line i mean the distributers shouldn't alter the tone or making the sound heavy or muddy or anything like this sort, because i heard filtration do this kind of problem.

Please note: I don't know if this topic discussed before, in case did please let me know the link.

Many thanks to all.

Sincerely.
    Last edited by K-High-Fi; 04-11-2011 at 05:54 AM.
    Magnepan MG20/ Krell FPB 200 watt amp/ Krell KAV-500 amp/ Krell KPS 20 IL CD player/ Krell Audio Video Standard Preamp & processor/ Project 9.1 turntable Denon 304 cart/ Arcam FMJ tuner/ Arcam 137 DVD/ Tascam 322 tape deck/ JVC vhs/ AQ interconnects: Colorado/ Transprent cable: Super, Ultra, Rference, XL Reference.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    The Clean Power Center from Balanced Power Technologies is probably your best bet. It has 10 outlets and has nothing in it to limit current. You could also try a Belkin PF-60 conditioner. It has a high-current duplex outlet bank for amps, AC and DC triggering, and programmable delays. I use a PF-60 with my HT system and can't say I hear any negative impact on sound. I have a 500W x 5 AVR, 200W x 2 amps, 2 powered subs, HDTV, 2 cable boxes, DVD player, and EQ for the subs plugged into it.

http://www.b-p-t.com/cpc-clean-power-center.html

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-PureAV-.../dp/B001541R5W

PF-60 rear panel view:

Cool

FOR this level of gear, I would call the electrician and see about a dedicated box
    for my system. Don't believe in "clean" power systems myself. What gremlins do come
    thru the wire(not very many) modern power supplies take care of quite handily.
    A HIGH Q power strip wouldn't hurt, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    FOR this level of gear, I would call the electrician and see about a dedicated box
    I agree.

What gremlins do come
    thru the wire (not very many) modern power supplies take care of quite handily.
    I respectfully disagree. Many amps have a simple capacitor input power supply that feeds power directly to the differential, bias, driver and output stages. The large value caps in these power supplies are not as effective at suppressing high frequencies. IME, even amps with separate, more sophisticated supplies may still benefit from external noise filtration, especially if one is in a high-density urban or industrial environment. Whether or not you notice any differences may well depend on system quality and resolution, IMO.

A HIGH Q power strip wouldn't hurt, though.
    I agree. That's why I suggested the Clean Power Center. It is the closest product to a simple but high quality power strip I know of, with enough outlets (8+) to serve the OP's needs. Other plain high quality power strips I know of have 6 or less outlets.
    Last edited by Glen B; 04-11-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Forum Regular
    Thank you Glen B i appreciate your advice. Yes you are right pixelthis i did actually pull two lines from main DB box, one feed Krell amp alone, other line feed all other sources. What i did actually i made nine wall receptacles and link them, but i found these receptacles not equal i mean the first receptacle strong but the receptacles after it get weak.

Have anybody tried PS audio like AV Power Center 5000 or Furutech?

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/d...5000?cat=power
    Last edited by K-High-Fi; 04-11-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    Magnepan MG20/ Krell FPB 200 watt amp/ Krell KAV-500 amp/ Krell KPS 20 IL CD player/ Krell Audio Video Standard Preamp & processor/ Project 9.1 turntable Denon 304 cart/ Arcam FMJ tuner/ Arcam 137 DVD/ Tascam 322 tape deck/ JVC vhs/ AQ interconnects: Colorado/ Transprent cable: Super, Ultra, Rference, XL Reference.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K-High-Fi
    Thank you Glen B i appreciate your advice. Yes you are right pixelthis i did actually pull two lines from main DB box, one feed Krell amp alone, other line feed all other sources. What i did actually i made nine wall receptacles and link them, but i found these receptacles not equal i mean the first receptacle strong but the receptacles after it get weak.

Have anybody tried PS audio like AV Power Center 5000 or Furutech?

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/d...5000?cat=power
    If sound quality is your main concern, then you should expand on the electrical work. My friends typically recommend one component per circuit. Use the largest gauge electrical wires you can as well. You can even combine several smaller gauge wires to maintain flexibility. I have a couple friends who also upgraded to 100 amp service from the electrical company.

Any power center or strip is going in the opposite direction.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Suspended
    It's very important with Krell that you find a product that does not limit current in any way.

I use the PS Audio Quintet which has four outlets that do not limit current. No experience with the unit you listed.

I have 200A (most new homes here have it) service and three dedicated lines in addition to my normal lines. One for amplifiers and crossover, one for all other audio gear and one for all video gear (including processor, rear amps and crossover). I've been using a Tripplite Isotel Ultra on video and another on low level audio gear. My power amps and crossover have been unprotected because I've been concerned about current limiting.

Glen B:
    Thanks for the heads up about the Belkin.

K-High-Fi:
    A single 20A breaker and line should be more than sufficient for all your audio gear except power amps. Low signal level gear usually doesn't need much current.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Hmm, I wonder if it was actually 200amp service they upgraded to? I need to pay more attention.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Quote Originally Posted by Glen B
    The Clean Power Center from Balanced Power Technologies is probably your best bet. It has 10 outlets and has nothing in it to limit current. You could also try a Belkin PF-60 conditioner. It has a high-current duplex outlet bank for amps, AC and DC triggering, and programmable delays. I use a PF-60 with my HT system and can't say I hear any negative impact on sound. I have a 500W x 5 AVR, 200W x 2 amps, 2 powered subs, HDTV, 2 cable boxes, DVD player, and EQ for the subs plugged into it.

http://www.b-p-t.com/cpc-clean-power-center.html

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-PureAV-.../dp/B001541R5W

Ditto. I have a Belkin PF-60 and it works well. As I see it, the main benefit is that it provided multiple, separately RFI/EMI filtered sets of outlets, as well as providing surge protection. I have used the programmed switching in the past, though it is superfluous with my present arrangement.

Forum Regular
    I like my garden hose attached to a fire hose.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    My power amps and crossover have been unprotected because I've been concerned about current limiting.
    Then install a whole house surge protector. They're available for between $180.00 - $250.00 and take up two breaker spaces in the electrical panel.

http://www.smarthome.com/48390/Whole...otector/p.aspx

http://www.smarthome.com/4860/Levito...otector/p.aspx

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/pro...rce=GoogleBase

A single 20A breaker and line should be more than sufficient for all your audio gear except power amps. Low signal level gear usually doesn't need much current.

I run my 2-channel setup consisting of 300W x 2 amp, 100W x 2 amp, preamp, and SACD player, each fed by its own balanced isolation transformer, on a single 20A dedicated circuit, without issue. The total measured current draw at normal listening levels, into fairly insensitive speakers that dip to 2.7 ohms in the mid-bass region, is less than 1/3 of the circuit capacity. I see no justification in my situation for more than a single circuit. Maybe if I were running big class A amps.
    Last edited by Glen B; 04-12-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Glen B:
    Another thanks! I like the whole house protection.
    My power amps are right next to each speaker. The rest of my gear is almost directly to my left, 12 feet or so away from the speakers Separate lines seemed like a good idea. I ran the lines myself, so having more of them wasn't expensive or difficult. They're all first floor over the basement lines.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Thread Information