Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    BTW, if the Soaring Audio amp works so much better with the JPS cord, why didin't they include it as part of the amp?

It only works better in that home with that set up with those brains interpreting the perceived sound Will be different every time. Maybe even on a different day. Or, under DBT protocol?

Wouldn't the manufacurer of the amplifier know best which cord to use especially if "digital amplifiers" are so sensitive?

You expect a designer to be that smart and know about power cables too? That can onlyt be done by the end user, a golden ear. What's the matter with you
    mtrycrafts

Suspended

Skeptic

I respect your opinion, however, I would respect it even more if you had actually tried some of these products and would be speaking from experience rather than speculation. Your reservations should be weighed by others as well as our testimony of merit. Like most things in audio, one has to make up their own mind by hopefully doing hands, or ears, on evaluation as to the benefit to them.

When I switched my power cords the sound improvement was so obvious that my daughter noticed it and she had no idea what I had even done. She was bugging me about something while I was listening and left to later return after I switched the cords. She asked me why the disc sounded better to her now than it had earlier. I was already happy with what I heard after the switch but it was very reassuring to have a comment from someone who was totally unaware of what was going on. That's even better than a DBT.

Quote Originally Posted by skeptic
    Has it ever occurred to you that it wasn't that the JPS AC+ was so good but that the Kimber Palladian was so bad? How about trying 12 gage lamp cord and see if that changes anything?
    Upon reflection, I seem to have misled everyone. It was the Palladian that was markedly better than the JPS Labs with this amplifier. Is the JPS Labs cord bad? That is a relative statement. It is better than the generic 16 gauge cord that was originally supplied.

To anyone who actually believes this dribble I offer the following advice...
    Maybe one of these days you might actually test your theories with actual experience with these products. You may be surprised once you get beyond your preconceptions. If, after direct experience, you truly cannot hear the difference, then so be it.

BTW, if the Soaring Audio amp works so much better with the JPS cord, why didin't they include it as part of the amp? Wouldn't the manufacurer of the amplifier know best which cord to use especially if "digital amplifiers" are so sensitive?
    As I mentioned, the comments regarding digital amplifiers was speculation on my part. I have heard that tube amps are less sensitive to cords aside from current requirements. As for the first question, I addressed that very question during conversations to Luke Manley of VTL, Jud Barber of Joule Electra and via email with Ole Lund Christensen (formerly) of GamuT Audio. Their answers were essentially the same. My GamuT CD-1 was shipped without a cord altogether although a generic one is provided upon request. Jud told me over dinner that while his amps don't "require" an aftermarket cord, he has found benefit with using some (he prefers the Elrods). Luke said he supplies a generic 16 gauge cord but has likewise found improvements with different power cords but leaves that choice to the client. I don't see that as any different a question as "why don't amplifier manufacturers provide an interconnect?"

rw

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Upon reflection, I seem to have misled everyone. It was the Palladian that was markedly better than the JPS Labs with this amplifier. Is the JPS Labs cord bad? That is a relative statement. It is better than the generic 16 gauge cord that was originally supplied.

Maybe one of these days you might actually test your theories with actual experience with these products. You may be surprised once you get beyond your preconceptions. If, after direct experience, you truly cannot hear the difference, then so be it.

As I mentioned, the comments regarding digital amplifiers was speculation on my part. I have heard that tube amps are less sensitive to cords aside from current requirements. As for the first question, I addressed that very question during conversations to Luke Manley of VTL, Jud Barber of Joule Electra and via email with Ole Lund Christensen (formerly) of GamuT Audio. Their answers were essentially the same. My GamuT CD-1 was shipped without a cord altogether although a generic one is provided upon request. Jud told me over dinner that while his amps don't "require" an aftermarket cord, he has found benefit with using some (he prefers the Elrods). Luke said he supplies a generic 16 gauge cord but has likewise found improvements with different power cords but leaves that choice to the client. I don't see that as any different a question as "why don't amplifier manufacturers provide an interconnect?"

rw
    Maybe one day you will sit down to a DBT and see how golden your ears really are. But the outcome is most predictable by now.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    skeptic, your points seem well based and sound, but you could be a little less rude when referring to others thoughts and perceptions. Regardless if you agree with them or not, you shouldn't chide people like school children, make your points and don't attack people on a personal level, it takes away from your excellent points.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Its hard on him when his head is ready to blow up with information.
    Look & Listen

Ps Audio Power Plant

Quote Originally Posted by Mwalsdor_cscc_edu
    In my experience AC conditioning is very important, and more beneficial than cables in broader applications. I.E. clean A C is important for all systems and the effects more apparrent. I agree that it is preferred to begin with components that respect this fact. And to take those measures one step further by encorporating upgrades at home [when applicable]; dedicated lines.

For some this is not practical, and even if so you may benefit from AC devices like outboard power line conditioners. I've used them for the last 5 years and have realized good results. Though, just like other components they were limited to the devices themselves and as always dependant on many variables. YMMV. I've used 4 different PLCs in my system and all with differing results. The API Power Wedge really didn't improve my system sonically, instead provided surge protection. Each susequent PLC I tried directly benefited the system; PS Audio PowerPlant and Ultimate Outlet and the Shunyata Hydra. I can recommend all three for auditions in your system. I purchased the Hydra and later sampled the two PS Audio products.

As for the benefit. There was less electronic haze, which I found the greatest benefit to reduce the distance between listener and source. It made the artifical nature of playback less apparent. You weren't listening to the medium as much, instead the focus was on the performance, which is a substanial result. Additionally, everything sounded more relaxed [in a natural way] reminecent of analog with less of a digital edge. Soundstage depth was much improved as was the retrievial of information and subtlies of music itself.

MikE
    I see you mention PS Audio
    I am really thinking on getting this one
    PS AUDIO - P1000

Any thoughts on this unit?
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i