Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by thepogue
    is that as with most audio subjects it cannot be reduced to a simple "black and white" issue. Of the 10 "myths/lies" outlined I believe that most here would not disregard all ten in some fashion while I also think most would not believe in all ten...and to add "mud to the mix" to what degree would one believe? "Burn in" is a perfect example...some people claim 100's of hours of break in before peak performance is reached. Others will suggest that it will take only a few minutes, others just a few hours, while others suggest that items will sound no different from the factory floor to your listening room. So as I read such articles if take each one, on its own merit add to it my own judgment (based on my experiences) and either agree or disagree. I try my best not to buy in to any one "Peter's" mind-set. (winks at RGA) For the record my brothers name is Peter and he is a retired @ 41, so I guess I should have followed that Peter!!

Peace, Pogue

I don;t know Peter Q runs AN as a hobby - when you have so much money(millions over millions) that it really doesn't matter anymore and you WANT to better tha Audio World rather than NEED to make money to put food on the table -- you get to do a lot more fiddling and be a lot more picky about what goes out the door. I'd think you would want to follow Peter Q -- at least in the pocketbook. PQ sold an audio company most people would love to run

Linear Guy

my 2 cents on DBT

In my job I have qualified examination procedures to DBT where we lead a team of technicians through task of identifying flaws in components according to strict procedure instruction. First the procedure is tested and secondly the personnel are tested, thus double blind in my application. This is only partially related to the discussion here but I have a couple of observations after leading many of these exercises.

To have more than one person select the same attribute with accuracy, both need to be trained similarly, a point already made in this forum. For audio, this might require the test takers to be, at the minimum, passionate listeners as opposed to dispassionate, which most Americans are unfortunately ,Test participants need to be round the same age. Hearing loss between say 55 and 70 could be significant and skew results.

I thought improvements in equipment came from careful selection of components and attention to wiring and assembly not dbt. Anyway, I'm one of those guy that hears minor improvements from cable, DAC upsampling and vibration control. I must be cursed.

Chickens and eggs

Science is developed after the observation not the other way around. Someone sees a phenominon, wonders whats going on and then develops a theory or equation to explain the effect. The effect exisits before the scientific explanation. Lack of an explanation does not invalidate the observation, I or we just don't know, is a perfectly valid answer.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

well put

just because there are no measurements to validate what we hear in a certain situation, doesnt mean the differences we hear arent real.

it was once thought that 100mph was fast as you could go, and the patent office was closed because it was believed that everything had been invented.
    ...regards...tr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information