Polk audio

Printable View

• 01-27-2007, 02:59 PM
    micklar
    Polk audio
    New to this forum , just wanted to get some advice on speaker arrangement. I have a Pioneer vsx 1016 TXV-K reciever with front speakers being polk audio rti fronts with PA csi 5 center channel speaker and a PA psw 12 for the sub . I had two rti 6 shelf speakers which I moved to the back to act as my back surround speakers . I read an article that this arrangement did not give the best surround sound as the sound dimension would be two narrow and it was recommended for music only. The article recommended speakers that had a wider angle ,diplole I think it was called . These rti 6 s are not to old and I hate to buy new speakers ,but I would like the best sound for movies as well as music. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks:6:
  • 01-27-2007, 04:55 PM
    topspeed
    Welcome to the forum, micklar.

From an HT standpoint, are dipole preferred? Yes. Is it worth running out and buying new speakers for an incrementally more realistic movie experience? I wouldn't. There isn't a whole lot of information in the surround channels to begin with, so whether or not you use monopole or dipoles is fairly moot. Most of us use direct radiators simply because it is so much better for multi-channel music. Hi-rez formats such as SACD and DVD/A dictate monopole rears. You can use monopoles for either music or movies, but you most definitely should not use dipoles for hi-rez music. Therefore, if you're interested in both music and movies, you really only have one choice.

Hope this helps.
  • 01-27-2007, 06:12 PM
    micklar
    Thanks
    Hey thanks for responding to my quiry on back speakers, I listen to more music then I do movies so I will stick with the rti 6s .