Thread: what can i do?

AR Newbie Registered Member

what can i do?

if u look on my profile you see what i have.what do u think and what can i do to make it louder and clearer. thax fellas

PDN
    Forum Regular
    Well without being familiar with each exact model, I see brands such as Technics, Realistic, Iawa, and Fisher in your system. These brands (IMO) are more mass market products and some are even obsolete names such as Fisher. Technics seem to focused on digital turntables and perhaps DJ equipment. Would you consider an entire overhaul and upgrade of your system? If so, would have you have a budget in mind? If yes, there is a multiplicity of products, brands, and pricing from the budget end of high end audio to the extravagent or the other extreme. The budget end brands but they're still very good would include NAD, Marantz, some Rotel products for electronics and NHT, PSB, KEF, and even some B&W's for loudspeakers to name a few. Each of these brands offer products at the budget end but also manufacture very high end units as well. Their lines are broad based. Well that's my input for you. Hope it helps.

yes i am intrested in upgrading, although what i have, I recently purchased. most of what i havei got off craigslist on a whim, this is the first home stereo ive built since the 90's thanx to home theaters in a box! the only item i will keep are the rare mach 2's they are huge and load! i will probably keep the ar 3311's as well,but everything else can go. so were do i shop cheap to start with! half the fun is constantly upgrading! shhhhh dont tell my wife!

Mutant from table 9
    I'm going to assume that you like the vintage stuff. The Mach 2s have their fans and much of the younger generation doesn't understand that Rat Shack was a real player in the 70s and 80s. The Mach 2s can be the anchor of a serious system.

I would look on ebay for speakers and amplifiers. I would not buy cassette decks or turntables from ebay as they tend to be DOA and not well cared for. Local Craigslist is more acceptable since I can go look at the stuff first. I would only use Craigslist locally. Prices will tend to be cheaper than ebay. Audiogon.com is another site that will have lots of good used stuff. Prices will be higher, but the quality reflects it. You can pick up used cassette decks and turntables on Audiogon with more confidence.

I would get rid of the EQ. They were very popular through the 90s and still fetch high prices on Ebay, but they really are ineffective if not used right. You really need to get into 32 band digital EQs as a bare minimum, with 64 band parametric being even better, and $3000+ Wadia room correction being ideal.

Finally, I would examine vintage 70s and 80s Japanese stuff. You want the stuff actually made in Japan, not Tiawan or Malaysia. Look at Pioneer, Yamaha, Marantz, Akai, ect. You will pay real money for top vintage, i.e. $300+ for a Yamaha 2020 receiver or $1000+ for Yammie NSM 1000 monitors or $600+ for certain Akia reel to reels, but there are some real steals to be had for less money with little brother models numbers. Troll around on ebay for awhile and you'll start to see paterns developing for what is highly sought after and what is a bargain.

You've got your impulse buys out of the way to tide you over. Now its time to start looking around more seriously.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

How much are you willing to spend? New speakers would be where I would start and then CDP and Receiver in that order although others may disagree.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

what speakers would u suggest? keep in mind i like big big party sound from floor standers.and what diff does cdp make,is there really a sound quality diff, i am looking for classic or vintage harman karden or carver amp and pre amp set preferably black.I daydream of having a small dj like system,big eq,pa size speakers on stands ect, for my summertime outdoor firepit partys,friends and family have been asking for two years!

Whats your budget? We need to know this to make recommendations. And yes, CDP's really do make a signifcant difference in sound quality and resolution, tonal differences, imaging, transparency, clarity, musicallity just to name a few ways it can affect the sound.

It sounds like you may be a Cerwin-Vega fan although I would never personally recommend them to any one. But they play loud and are great party speakers.

For a receiver, you should check out www.outlawaudio.com. They have a 2ch receiver for $600 that would kick ass on those vintage amps you mentioned. High current and it puts out more power than its rated at and has a Retro-vintage look. It should be able to drive anything you throw at it.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP