Forum Regular

Brown Note Myth busted..

Check out the Brown Note episode of the Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel. The Brown Note refers to the point at which people lose control over their bowels when subjected to very low frequency sound. Apparently there's very little to the myth and showed that different people have different tolerances to low frequency sound. Some of the bystanders reported mild nausea and mild physical discomfort but the subject showed no side effects when subjected to up to 153 db sound from around 5-100 Hz. I guess we consumers of of high output consumer level subs have nothing to fear.

http://www.meyersound.com.au/brownnote.shtm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brown Note Myth busted..-brownnote.jpg  

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I had never heard of this myth, but I'm thinking if you're subjected to a 5 Hz tone, the odds of you crapping yourself are pretty damn high.
    Trying to think what generates 5 Hz....earthquakes, volcano blasts, bombs, aliens...maybe the victims just wrongfully interpreted the cause-and-effect relationship of the events in question?

Along those lines, some notes can cause excecssive vomiting.

Generally those emitted from Brittney Spears and her ilk.

Red face Hey, that's NOT what I heard....

Eric Cartman of South Park Colorado and his friends were able to produce a worldwide "BrownNote" pulse that forced everyone on the planet, myself included shame to say, to evacuate our bowels postehaste. Don't tell me you don't remember that feeling you had some months ago. You thought it was the burrito, chimichanga TacoTrash food you'd eaten but nooooo... it was Eric and boys.

Da Worfster

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by plextor guy
    Check out the Brown Note episode of the Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel. The Brown Note refers to the point at which people lose control over their bowels when subjected to very low frequency sound. ]
    What a sh*tty test! Who was on the cleanup crew should the test have been successful?

The brown note on Southpark was probably one of the best episodes. Now, if only Mythbusters used recorders being played by 3rd graders instead of a big rig of speakers.... maybe then it would have worked.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plextor guy
    Apparently there's very little to the myth and showed that different people have different tolerances to low frequency sound. Some of the bystanders reported mild nausea and mild physical discomfort but the subject showed no side effects when subjected to up to 153 db sound from around 5-100 Hz. I guess we consumers of of high output consumer level subs have nothing to fear.
    My guess is that myth was already busted by someone like John Waters. If he could've gotten a theater full of people to crap their pants he would've done it by now.

I don't where THAT urban myth came from, but it's pretty damn funny! Pretty much the extent of my urban myth knowledge stopped with the exploding microwaves episode. The ones they're putting on now are getting pretty obscure. "Disco dump"?! WTF is up with that! If this myth were true, then those raves I used to attend would have ended up as flatulent biohazard zones by the end of the evening!

I think it would have been more interesting to try this test inside an anecholic chamber. I've heard that people can become disoriented and even nauseous when inside of an anecholic chamber.

Also interesting that Meyer Sound provided the monitors for that test. The studio and concert rigs that they put together sound quite good.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Wooch I don't know about anechoic chambers but when I worked for Honda I visited their research facility which had a huge cylinder shaped room that served as a wind tunnel and noise testing chamber. They use to let the employees spend their lunch hours in it for quiet time until a few reported cases of nausea and dizziness. Might be some truth this myth.

The Collector
    gotta love meyer for putting their speakers to the true test. those boxes are killer if you have a ton of money, a large room and the need for the ultimate kick drum.

Thread Information