phono preamp...should I invest in a new one???

Right now I'm running my TT using my onboard preamp (w/ the adcom) any thoughts on getting a separate phono pre?...if so why and or is should looking at another pre...or maybe something totally different. I KNOW someone going to ask what I'm trying to accomplish so in a nut shell just trying to get the most out of me system (for the least amount of $$$)....

whadda think boys????

Peace and Preamps, Pogue
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Linn LP12 - Basik Plus - Valhalla
    • Benz Micro Cart.
    • Akai GX 747 Reel to Reel
    • Straight Wire Virtuoso Interconnects

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Hey Pogue, I'm in a similar boat with the Parasound P/HP 850. I've had it for a couple of years, but I know I could do better. Right now I'm thinking of getting a tube preamp. The main issue that keeps coming up is whether I should get a tube preamp with onboard phono like a Conrad-Johnson PV-10B, Audible Illusions Modulus 3A, or something from Cary OR should I go with a tube linestage from Cary, Quicksilver, etc. and get an outboard tube phono preamp like the EAR 834P. Another solution might be a new or used Audio Research SP model with well-regarded phono section. My problem is that I would like a headphone amp and phono. Getting all of it in one box ain't cheap, but trying to piece together a linestage, outboard phono and headphone amp ain't cheap either. Most tube pres I've looked at come with either phono or headphone but not both. I've pretty much scrapped the idea of trying to add a better phono preamp to the Parasound. I'll just use it elsewhere.

There are some cheaper offerings from Antique Sound Lab and AES (a cheaper division of Cary) and Jolida has a new tube phono preamp. But fortunately I won't have to agonize over this until the funds are available.

You might have better luck posting in the analog forum. It takes longer to get an answer, but you'll probably get a wider variety of responses. If there's a cheaper solution, I would like to know it.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I have been happy with the onboard preamp in my Sugden - you could try the Little Rat as a cost saving solution - run through the AudioAsylum forums - it's really cheap but don't hold that against it.

The AN OTO has an outstanding on board phono stage but it drive the amp way up as well. I don't think most current manufacturers care a damn about phono - after all it's worse right

There's always those staples people talk about http://www.uhfmag.com/Analog.html

Many of the pre-amps discussed are great, the Cary's, the C-J's are all really good but damned expensive! Take a listen to the TAD-150, $999.00 from Click Here for 95% of the sound of the big boys for a lot less moola. Yes I own one, I like it a lot.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Thread Information