• 11-09-2007, 06:38 AM
    turnstyle
    Outlaw RR2150 -- quality of USB DAC?
    Hi all, just wondering how well Outlaw RR2150's USB DAC does its thing -- I had been looking at dedicated USB DACs (Benchmark, etc.) but I'd be happy to save the cash and eliminate the extra box and cables.
  • 11-11-2007, 08:29 AM
    turnstyle
    Outlaw sent the following info -- can anybody here perhaps help me to help understand?

Quote:

The USB input uses the Micronas chip, one of the very best available. The DAC for the USB is self contained on the Micronas chip. It offers:

-Single-chip, USB specification 2.0 compliant, stereo audio D/A converter

-Supports up to 24-bit playback

-Independent adaptive sample rates of 6.4 to 48kHz for USB playback

-THD better than -90dB and SNR of typ. 96dB for D/A converters
  • 11-12-2007, 02:12 AM
    pixelthis
    Sounds pretty good, figures its usb 2.0, everything is these days.
    But I have seen several USB dacs that upsample to 192 khz(audiomagus.com I beleive)
    And you only need one cable, a usb cable running from your computer to a usb hub behind your gear.
    I have an external soundcard and a pronto charger/computer dock and a dazzle
    hooked up to this one hub, and just one wire running to my computer(besides the rgb for my monitor)
  • 11-13-2007, 03:49 AM
    turnstyle
    I'm not actually sure that USB2 matters much, as USB1.1 already has enough bandwidth for CD audio (it's ~12Mbit/s) -- however some hubs will slow down if connected to a mix of USB2 and USB1.1 devices, so USB2 is preferable.

But I guess the real question is: does anybody know anything about the Micronas chip, and how well it does its job?