• 12-13-2005, 06:54 AM
    hmmmm
    oops...intercepted Santa's e-mail
    So It looks like I may be getting an ipod for x-mas. I've never even touched one of these things. What's the first thing you do? Should I start loading my cd's onto the computer to get a headstart? I've heard it can be time consuming.
    I am familiar with itunes- I've had it on the computer for about a year already. Any help for a newbie?
  • 12-13-2005, 07:57 AM
    kexodusc
    I don't actually have an ipod, but yeah, you'll have to load your cd's onto your computer. Depending on your model, and the software, you might want to have it converted to apple's audio format, or use mp3, or even just keep it as the larger .wav file.

    It takes a bit of time, but I just poke away at it. Throw in one cd or two every time I'm on my machine, rip the tunes, and add them to your library. you don't have to stand right there and wait for it.
  • 12-13-2005, 08:18 AM
    hmmmm
    model
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I don't actually have an ipod, but yeah, you'll have to load your cd's onto your computer. Depending on your model, and the software, you might want to have it converted to apple's audio format, or use mp3, or even just keep it as the larger .wav file.

    It takes a bit of time, but I just poke away at it. Throw in one cd or two every time I'm on my machine, rip the tunes, and add them to your library. you don't have to stand right there and wait for it.

    It said model black 60gb. I guess I'll start putting the cd's in.
    Thanks
  • 12-13-2005, 08:39 AM
    kexodusc
    60 GB? Wow, that's a ton of storage capacity. you could hold like 70 odd CD's in wav format, or, like 300 in mp3 format.
    Maybe it's time I got one of these for myself...

    So...how's your health treating ya?
  • 12-13-2005, 11:18 AM
    paul_pci
    Yes, definitely a good idea to get a head start on ripping CDs onto iTunes. You can also organize them into desired playlists, as iPod will tranfer music over from iTunes as is. There are three basic modes for transfering music: auto, auto of a checklist of selected playlists, or manual control. After trying all three, I use manual control because I was taking music off iTunes to free up hard drive room and when I connected the iPod under auto transfer, it would then delete that music from the iPod (very frustrating). Under manual control, that doesn't happen; titles are added or erased solely at your discretion.
  • 12-13-2005, 12:22 PM
    HAVIC
    If you are unfortunately getting an ipod (no a big fan of ipods) than do not rip your cd's into mp3 format. I would rip them as the apple format (don't remember the exact name) mp3 is one of the worst compression audio formats, it however became the most popular. ogg (org vorbis) is probably the best but the ipod does not support this. The apple format is still better than mp3. Also make sure you rip at a higher bit rate than the default bit rate the have it at. Start with at least 192kb and check out how it sounds, you can always rip it at a higher bit rate, but 192 seems to be the minimum on the forums I've read.
  • 12-13-2005, 01:05 PM
    topspeed
    Apple's AAC format is worlds better than MP3. The compression rate you use, if any, will depend on what you're going to do with it. I use mine solely for going to the gym, so ultimate fidelity isn't really an issue. At the standard bit rate, everything sounds fine to me. However, if I were going to dock it in my car or use it on my main rig, I'd likely use a much higher rate.

    That's a nice present Mrs. Clause is bringing you. Enjoy!
  • 12-15-2005, 06:42 AM
    hmmmm
    health
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kexodusc
    60 GB? Wow, that's a ton of storage capacity. you could hold like 70 odd CD's in wav format, or, like 300 in mp3 format.
    Maybe it's time I got one of these for myself...

    So...how's your health treating ya?

    I'm the same health wise and frustrated with doctors!! It takes me forever to type now. I have to do the one finger punch.
    Good news is...I haven't been cut yet and my wife helps take out the garbage now:) Thanks for asking.
  • 12-15-2005, 06:50 AM
    hmmmm
    good tips
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by HAVIC
    If you are unfortunately getting an ipod (no a big fan of ipods) than do not rip your cd's into mp3 format. I would rip them as the apple format (don't remember the exact name) mp3 is one of the worst compression audio formats, it however became the most popular. ogg (org vorbis) is probably the best but the ipod does not support this. The apple format is still better than mp3. Also make sure you rip at a higher bit rate than the default bit rate the have it at. Start with at least 192kb and check out how it sounds, you can always rip it at a higher bit rate, but 192 seems to be the minimum on the forums I've read.

    Thanks for the tips. I did start putting in the cds yesterday. I'm up to 6. I'll mainly use it while exercising, traveling, or when my daughters at piano lessons...now that's painful to hear!
  • 12-15-2005, 07:17 AM
    noddin0ff
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hmmmm
    Thanks for the tips. I did start putting in the cds yesterday. I'm up to 6. I'll mainly use it while exercising, traveling, or when my daughters at piano lessons...now that's painful to hear!

    Heh, heh, keep ripping...that was about my rate. It took me the better part of 2 months to get my 400-500 CD's ripped (58GB)... and remember, she could've taken up violin.