Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular

CD player replaced by DVD player ?

Hi, just like to know is there a dvd player that can play good cd audio ?

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    A nice DVD player will play CD's just fine. Something like the Yamaha C750 for 300 bucks will play just about every disc there is and its a 5 disc changer. This is just an example as there are others for less.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Hi, just like to know is there a dvd player that can play good cd audio ?
    Yes,Some can even play SACD,DVDa,CD,MP3,DVDv and others for less than $200.

AR "Wisdom of Yoda"Member LEAFS264's Avatar
    Pioneer Elite DV-59AI.

Forum Regular

CD player obsolete ?

I was wondering if DVD player can replaced CD player. Then why do we still need CD player around ?

By the way is there any difference between the sound quality of a CD audio playing on a
    DVD & CD player ?

Maybe I should rephase my question "Can I achieve a high-end audio quality by using a DVD player due to budget constrain ?".

You wont hear any difference in a $200 DVD player and a $200 CD player,both playing CD's. I havent had a CD player in years.
    Look & Listen

I have a CD player, but that's just a matter of convenience. I have the Sony 300 disc player because I'm too lazy to change discs. Now, I don't really want repave trampled ground, but most people use the digital connection for these lower priced players so that the receiver or preamp is doing the processing of transported digital information and not the player; therefore, it becomes arbitrary whether one gets a DVD player or a CD player when using the digital connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy

Maybe I should rephase my question "Can I achieve a high-end audio quality by using a DVD player due to budget constrain ?".
    Yes, again look at some of the players that will play all formats..Toshiba and Yamaha make a 5 disc PS player that does this all formats for around $300 .They also include proper bass management and distance settings for DVDa/SACD..

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    I have a CD player, but that's just a matter of convenience. I have the Sony 300 disc player because I'm too lazy to change discs. Now, I don't really want repave trampled ground, but most people use the digital connection for these lower priced players so that the receiver or preamp is doing the processing of transported digital information and not the player; therefore, it becomes arbitrary whether one gets a DVD player or a CD player when using the digital connection.
    Is your Sony full?
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Is your Sony full?
    Not in the least. I have about 110 discs in there.

Suspended
    DVD players have not replaced CD players because DVD players do not give the same care to the analog signal as a true CD player. I am not talking about your entry level players. Through the analog outputs you will hear significantly better sound from a good CD player over a DVD player. It is too expensive to put high quality analog output stage for format in a multi format machine. Even brands like Arcam and Krell cannot do it. There high end DVD players have very good CD playback but not comparable to their CD players costing the same. I can't tell you why this is from a technical stand point but it is. To not recognize this you'd have to be in the camp that thinks all CD players sound the same. You simply cannot make one machine do the job of 3 or 4 at the same cost and performance of the one machine.

If you use the digital output of the machine there will be no difference in what kind of player you use. Although this is also debated as well.

My advice would be if you are planning on using the digital output of your machine or going to spend less than maybe $300.00 go ahead and get a DVD or multi format player. If you are looking for good CD playback use the analog outputs and buy a good CD player. By good I mean one that offers better performance than your mass market brands.

Forum Regular

Using DAC ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    DVD players have not replaced CD players because DVD players do not give the same care to the analog signal as a true CD player. I am not talking about your entry level players. Through the analog outputs you will hear significantly better sound from a good CD player over a DVD player. It is too expensive to put high quality analog output stage for format in a multi format machine. Even brands like Arcam and Krell cannot do it. There high end DVD players have very good CD playback but not comparable to their CD players costing the same. I can't tell you why this is from a technical stand point but it is. To not recognize this you'd have to be in the camp that thinks all CD players sound the same. You simply cannot make one machine do the job of 3 or 4 at the same cost and performance of the one machine.

If you use the digital output of the machine there will be no difference in what kind of player you use. Although this is also debated as well.

My advice would be if you are planning on using the digital output of your machine or going to spend less than maybe $300.00 go ahead and get a DVD or multi format player. If you are looking for good CD playback use the analog outputs and buy a good CD player. By good I mean one that offers better performance than your mass market brands.
    How about using a DAC for my DVD player ? Do u think the sound quantity will be better
    than a CD player ?

Another thing is "Is it worthwhile to buy a DAC 4 my DVD player or buy a good CD player ?".

I doubt you'll hear a difference no matter what you do.

Put it this way..what does the rest of your system look like? If you've got $4000 in a preamp and $10,000 in speakers then by all means you can worry about DAC's and getting a .000001% sound quality improvement, but if you've got a $400 receiver and $500 speakers then just get whatever player fits your budget and needs.

Forum Regular

Fyi

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    I doubt you'll hear a difference no matter what you do.

Put it this way..what does the rest of your system look like? If you've got $4000 in a preamp and $10,000 in speakers then by all means you can worry about DAC's and getting a .000001% sound quality improvement, but if you've got a $400 receiver and $500 speakers then just get whatever player fits your budget and needs.
    Infact, I am very new to hifi. I had given up this hobby since 10 over years ago. I actually just brought the sf concerto home speaker. I would like to use back my accuphase
    integrated amp E206 to drive the speaker & my philip DVD hard disk recorder to play CD audio. I am yet to get some speaker & interconnect cable. I heard from my friend that
    RS cable is good. I had intended to get it this week.

Due to budget contrain, I tried to buy item 1 at a time. I hope my amp is still working.
    Any suggestion ?

You'll be more than pleased with the CD performance of a good DVD player, you might even want to get a 5 disc so you can load it up with whatever you want.

Forum Regular

Even an inexpensive dvd player...

...can do a pretty good job on cd's. As an experiment I recently purchased a Toshiba 3980 for use as a cdp. It does a very good job indeed. I am not saying that it is better or worse than a stand alone cd player, simply that it does a very good job in it's own right. It sounds much better than I expected and out of all proportion to it's price. Whether one prefers it over a cdp is, IMO, a matter of personal preference and the features you are looking for in your digital source. The cheaper players lack the build quality and features of more expensive players but still sound pretty good, even very good. Just my two cents.

Talking

They all sound the same hooked up with the dig out.
    Look & Listen

Suspended
    If you already have a DVD player a DAC would be a good way to go for 2 channel listening. I'd think you could get more performance for your money by just buying the DAC. That way your cost don't include the transport, remote and whatever else would go into a full cd player. You might take a look at www.amusicdirect.com they carry several DAC's and have a 30 day return policy if you aren't happy.

On the home theater side I use a Denon DVD player and in 2 channel the DAC in my Primare processor sounds much better. I admit that is somewhat of a big step up in DAC capability but I definitely think it's worth buying a DAC for 2 channel. On another system I have been using a higher end Denon cd player which is a few generations back on DAC technology, I recently stuck a used Conrad Johnson DAC, which is a few generations back itself, on the digital output and it has made a dramatic improvement. I only paid about $400.00 for the CJ DAC. These guys don't listen, their loss, but you can make a large improvement in sound quality, no matter your electronics, if you upgrade your front end. This CJ DAC I'm talking about would still sound better than the Denon's DAC even through a Pioneer receiver. Go and listen to some gear for yourself, I could hear a difference in entry level cd players from Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha in a recent comparison. All things digital DO NOT sound the same.

This CJ DAC is the first outboard DAC I've used so I really don't have a good suggestion as to what brand to look at. If you are serious about looking let me know and I have a friend that could give us a pointer and also check out reviews of some DAC's. Then buying from a place that will let you return it is a must, then you have nothing to loose and everything to gain. If it's not up to your expectations, send it back, or if you are amazed, then you have many hours of enjoyable listening ahead as you re-explore your music collection.

I think you have to consider the guy's budget here...I don't think he's ready to go spending $1000 for a standalone CD player for $500 just for a DAC.

Bascially, he'd be better off with a good quality $300 DVD player that does everything, rather than getting a $150 DVD player and a $69 CD player. There's no way he'd gain ANYTHING by getting a cheapo CD player. Just because it's a 'standalone' CD player does not mean it will sound better than a DVD player.

A $1000 CD player? Yes.
    $69 CD player? No.

Question

$1000 cd player-Yes
    $69 cd player-No
    Why? As long as your using the Dig out,they will sound the same and thats the way most hook up. I wouldnt buy a $1000 cd player so i could not use the dig.
    Maybe i'm wrong{again} but dont most of use use the dig connection?
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular

Thanks for your advise.

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    You'll be more than pleased with the CD performance of a good DVD player, you might even want to get a 5 disc so you can load it up with whatever you want.
    Let me hook up my system & see how does it sound......B4 that, I need to get some cables.....

Forum Regular
    Hey, but I don't think you will not get a good quality sound by buying a cheap cd player & use the digital output.

Is it true that a transport & DAC combine always work better than a cd player ?

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    $1000 cd player-Yes
    $69 cd player-No
    Why? As long as your using the Dig out,they will sound the same and thats the way most hook up. I wouldnt buy a $1000 cd player so i could not use the dig.
    Maybe i'm wrong{again} but dont most of use use the dig connection?
    Umm..digital is NOT the way most of us hook them up. I'm talking high quality players here..not the $99 Walmart specials. If it's got a high quality DAC, USE IT!

Besides, it's impossible to play SACD through digital, and you can't get the high res DVD-A tracks with digital.

Didnt see that we were talking about DVD-A and SACD. Wow,so most do not use the digital connection,well i guess i learned something today. Interesting. If i had a player that costs more then my reciever, i suppose i wouldnt use the dig but i'd rather not spend 1K on a player. I'm kinda a beliver that most dont hear the differences they claim only a dog could here.
    Look & Listen

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Shokhead-I consider my system mid-fi. Denon DCM-370 CD player and Yamaha RX-V800 receiver. I bought the Denon because at the time it had the best DAC's for my budget. I connect the Denon analog outs to the receiver because it sounds better than the digital connection. The Denon has better DAC's to my ears (and I suppose on paper too but I don't know). I'm nowhere near the $1K range.

My DVD player is connected digitally for 5.1 DD/DTS (but analog for SACD, of course) I've also tried analog outs for 5.1 but I don't really notice a difference but I haven't really cared to listen for one.

My point being that you don't have to climb the equipment ladder very far to find CD players DAC's that outdo the receiver DAC's. I tend to believe that DAC's get cheaper and better every year so it won't be too long until it really doesn't matter because they'll all be good. I expect that any midrange DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-A player from a good company these days will sound quite good.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information