Yamaha receiver acting up any advice?

I have an older yamaha rx-v850 receiver that has decided to give me trouble, the Left channel will cut almost completely out to the point where you can kind of hear garbled up sound at high volumes. It has never done this before yesterday, but I gave it a tap on the lid and it came back in and sounded fine, any ideas? I checked all connections on the back and they are fine, this morning it cut out again for about 2 sec, then came back on again fine.......wierd. I wondered if I was to get some contact cleaner and spray out the potentiometers and switches, but when the sound cuts out, there is no control, switch or anything that you can mess with to get it back on, you basically have to tap the top of the unit a few times it seems to get the sound back. Any help anyone could give me is greatly appreciated.... the old yamaha was a nicer unit a bunch of years back and sounds so good when it works I hate to replace it. thanks!

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman00
    I have an older yamaha rx-v850 receiver that has decided to give me trouble, the Left channel will cut almost completely out to the point where you can kind of hear garbled up sound at high volumes. It has never done this before yesterday, but I gave it a tap on the lid and it came back in and sounded fine, any ideas? I checked all connections on the back and they are fine, this morning it cut out again for about 2 sec, then came back on again fine.......wierd. I wondered if I was to get some contact cleaner and spray out the potentiometers and switches, but when the sound cuts out, there is no control, switch or anything that you can mess with to get it back on, you basically have to tap the top of the unit a few times it seems to get the sound back. Any help anyone could give me is greatly appreciated.... the old yamaha was a nicer unit a bunch of years back and sounds so good when it works I hate to replace it. thanks!

Brandon
    Give it a stern look and tell it to fly right or fly right out the window!

Oops, sorry. I keep doing that lately. It sounds like you have something loose. I'd go with your first thought though. Try that to see if it helps.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

sounds like something came loose, probably a cable or so, maybe a broken contact inside, or burnt through cable...
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Smile Yamaha Fixed Yay! Rx-v850

Got home after stressing about my amp all day, and realized I should just go against my gut and play some music through the amp while I work on it. Well, it paid off! I was able to track down the loose connection by trial and error, if the amp hadn't been on, no way would I have guessed it. Yamaha decided to pinch all of the pre-amp to main amp ribbon cables with a tight wire tie as well as a metal clamp tied to ground, needless to say some 10-13 years later the amp failed because the ribbon cables got old and brittle and grounded out against the ground screw. I reaaranged the cables in a better way and no more cutting out!! thought I would share my experience with all of you. My day got a lot better after that. thanks!

keep it rockin!

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman00
    Got home after stressing about my amp all day, and realized I should just go against my gut and play some music through the amp while I work on it. Well, it paid off! I was able to track down the loose connection by trial and error, if the amp hadn't been on, no way would I have guessed it. Yamaha decided to pinch all of the pre-amp to main amp ribbon cables with a tight wire tie as well as a metal clamp tied to ground, needless to say some 10-13 years later the amp failed because the ribbon cables got old and brittle and grounded out against the ground screw. I reaaranged the cables in a better way and no more cutting out!! thought I would share my experience with all of you. My day got a lot better after that. thanks!

keep it rockin!
    Cool,
    Congrats!
    Time for some music...
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Thread Information