Forum Regular

dts cd not dvd one more format??

I found out via another discussion group for my car that it should play a dts cd. This is a 5.1 cd format. Does anyone have any experience with this? I was told my car unit which plays DVD-A but not SCAD will play the dts-cd disks and should sound great.

I really do not to buy one more format but my home stereo has dts and scad so it should play the dts cd's right?

finally any suggestions on where to by amazon had only a few dts cd's

thanks for any comments

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lomarica
    I found out via another discussion group for my car that it should play a dts cd. This is a 5.1 cd format. Does anyone have any experience with this? I was told my car unit which plays DVD-A but not SCAD will play the dts-cd disks and should sound great.

I really do not to buy one more format but my home stereo has dts and scad so it should play the dts cd's right?

thanks for any comments
    I have quite a few Dts CD, but I cannot play them in my car because my car stereo doesn't have a Dts decoder, and I don't know of any car stereo that does. If you have one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Surrou.../dp/B00097A4E6

Then perhaps you could playback Dts CD in your car, otherwise unless the head unit has a decoder, you are out of luck.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Wink

thanks for any comments
    if your car unit plays DVD it will play DTS CD. If not get one of those decoders Talkys talkin bout. BUT I wouldn't bother if you don't have any DTS CD 's already. THEY SOUND QUITE GOOD, but you probably won't benefit in a automobile environment.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    My friend drives an Acura. The entertainment system had a DTS logo. I advised him that I believe that unit should play DTS discrete surround sound discs. I had a few in my house and took out one(I think it was the Moody Blues). It in fact played fine in his vehicle. I also think that the system was equipped with Dolby Pro-Logic 2 as well.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelsci
    My friend drives an Acura. The entertainment system had a DTS logo. I advised him that I believe that unit should play DTS discrete surround sound discs. I had a few in my house and took out one(I think it was the Moody Blues). It in fact played fine in his vehicle. I also think that the system was equipped with Dolby Pro-Logic 2 as well.
    He has a high end car system then, because the Dts format is not widely spread in the auto market, especially from the manufacturer(and neither is PL II for that matter). You usually have to get both of these in the after market.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Acura's had DTS systems as a stock option. Volvo has PLII as an option. Lincoln has THX.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

jvc
    This is a 5.1 cd format.
    DTS doesn't automatically mean 5.1 surround, although it usually does.
    I saw a blu ray movie (forget the title, might have been Chevy Chase's "Vacation") and it's soundtrack was dtsHD Master 1.0...........That's mono. Why bother?
    1080p Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP
    Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver
    Oppo BDP-83 blu ray player
    Polk Audio LSi9 front speakers
    Polk Audio LSiC center speaker
    Sony SS-MB100H rear speakers
    SVS PC12-NSD powered subwoofer
    Pioneer PL-514 turntable
    Logitech Harmony 628 Universal Remote

Forum Regular
    JVC is correct. I remember reading a review of the BD disc of that movie and that is the only soundtrack it has. Nobody put in the monies to convert it into 5.1 track or did not seem to need too. It is wise to lookover a BD disc of primarily older films to see what kind of sound they contain before purchasing.

Yes TT. I would definetely call it a high end sound system in that Acura. The DTS logo was prominently displayed on the radio itself and I think DPL-2 as well. I off hand cannot remember whose high end system it was but it did have multiple speakers around the car.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jvc
    DTS doesn't automatically mean 5.1 surround, although it usually does.
    I saw a blu ray movie (forget the title, might have been Chevy Chase's "Vacation") and it's soundtrack was dtsHD Master 1.0...........That's mono. Why bother?
    Why bother watching this movie at all?
    Nope, nobodies ever going to put a decent soundtrack on a movie headed straight to the bargain bin.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

jvc
    It's a good movie. We like all the Vacation movies, especially this one and Christmas Vacation........
    1080p Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP
    Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver
    Oppo BDP-83 blu ray player
    Polk Audio LSi9 front speakers
    Polk Audio LSiC center speaker
    Sony SS-MB100H rear speakers
    SVS PC12-NSD powered subwoofer
    Pioneer PL-514 turntable
    Logitech Harmony 628 Universal Remote

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jvc
    It's a good movie. We like all the Vacation movies, especially this one and Christmas Vacation........
    NOT ALL of us do.
    Cristie BRINKLEY and BEVERLEY DEANGELO,
    That was about it.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    It is very funny how we people associate a "something" with a "something". The minute we see DTS or D.D., we think that a 5.1 sound track is on the disc. This same phenomena occurs when one works in an office where one wants to make a photocopy, but instead of saying photocopy, they will say "make a xerox" even though the copying machine could be from any list of manufacturers other than Xerox sitting there on the floor.

It is very funny how we people associate a "something" with a "something". The minute we see DTS or D.D., we think that a 5.1 sound track is on the disc. This same phenomena occurs when one works in an office where one wants to make a photocopy, but instead of saying photocopy, they will say "make a xerox" even though the copying machine could be from any list of manufacturers other than Xerox sitting there on the floor.
    MOST DTS or DD is 5.1, although you can collapse it into two channel.
    When I play my one DTS cd the player says two channel, but the receiver says 5.1,
    so confusion is reasonable.
    THESE DTS Cd'S are kind of misleading anyway, they try to come across as a
    high res format, but they are lossy.
    THEY SOUND GOOD, but not as much as a regular plain old CD.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    He has a high end car system then, because the Dts format is not widely spread in the auto market, especially from the manufacturer(and neither is PL II for that matter).
    I too, have an Acura ('04 TL). It came standard with a Panasonic ELS system which indeed plays multi-channel DVD-A and DTS. One of these days, I guess I should listen to the demo disk that was included.

rw

Forum Regular
    Hi Pixelthis; I prefer the regular CD myself overall. I believe I do have 2 discs of some big band something in a regular CD and a DTS 5.1 CD. I have not played both in some time so I cannot positively recall which was better. If I thought that the DTS CD was all that great, I think I would have remembered so.

The other night I was also thinking of another comparison similar to my expression on "xerox". It is high-definition itself. When one thinks of high-def, they think everything is a wide screen movie. Of course many movies were filmed in 4X3 and studios that may possess the original or close to original negative or prints that were on film are capable of being transferred into the digital disc high-definition genure but in their 4X3 aspect ratios. I believe that Waner Bros. released some of their older films photographed in Black and White in the 4X3 ratio on BD discs but I cannot recall the titles.

Cool

Hi Pixelthis; I prefer the regular CD myself overall. I believe I do have 2 discs of some big band something in a regular CD and a DTS 5.1 CD. I have not played both in some time so I cannot positively recall which was better. If I thought that the DTS CD was all that great, I think I would have remembered so.

The other night I was also thinking of another comparison similar to my expression on "xerox". It is high-definition itself. When one thinks of high-def, they think everything is a wide screen movie. Of course many movies were filmed in 4X3 and studios that may possess the original or close to original negative or prints that were on film are capable of being transferred into the digital disc high-definition genure but in their 4X3 aspect ratios. I believe that Waner Bros. released some of their older films photographed in Black and White in the 4X3 ratio on BD discs but I cannot recall the titles.
    I believe Casablanca was one of those, and the DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL.
    I watched a Ray Harryhouse BLU disc, twenty million miles to earth, earth vs the Flying
    Saucers is also on BLU, haven't seen it yet.
    B&W stuff looks just as good as color on BLU, BTW
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Thread Information