Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newsflash. CNet Says "Audiophilia a Dying Sector"

Well, why not, everything else around here's going to hell in a hand basket.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-99...?tag=nefd.lede

I don't think it's a permanent trend though. I believe that eventually Generation Ipod will hunger for something "better" when and if they ever settle down and want to hear what music was/is supposed to sound like.

Da Worfster

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101

I don't think it's a permanent trend though. I believe that eventually Generation Ipod will hunger for something "better" when and if they ever settle down and want to hear what music was/is supposed to sound like.

Da Worfster
    Don't think they're telling us the whole story though - I know more people with competent home theater systems that replaced mini-systems or those cheap old Emerson/Yorx type stereo systems. And they're way better off for it. While hi-fi might be dying, home theater is still trooping on. The lowest common denominator is a lot better now than the lowest-common denominator was 10 or 20 years ago. Maybe not what it was at it's high point in the 70's but oh well.
    Whether we call it a stereo or home theater is mostly irrelevant.

Besides, the article implies that iPod is directly responsible for the declining fortunes of MacIntosh. That's ridiciulous - I bet we could count on 1 hand the number of humans who were or would be potential Mac owners and gave it up for an iPod. If you could afford a Mac amp and even knew the brand name, chances are you had both anyway.
    Now I could believe the modern computer/home theater combo and iPod are killing the mini-system and budget all-in one Emerson stereo system to some degree, but it's not putting MacIntosh and Snell out of business.

What happened in the 1980's when the Walkman took the world by storm? This can't be a new trend...

Audiophile is niche market

Da Worfster
    Basically I agree with Kex. Audiophiles do not buy iPods as replacements for high-end, (or mid-, or even entry-level), systems.

One wonders whether the average iPod/mobile user is even a music lover so much as a noise lover, but let's leave that aside. Many genuine music lovers are simply not concerned about sound quality beyond 128kbps MP3. Audiophiles are small minority of among music lovers and only they are interested in really superior sound; however this minority is here to stay and will always demand superior playback sources and equipment.

The '70s was the heyday of hi-fi but that day is over and won't return as such. What ended that era? It was the video cassette. The general population was and is inherently more interested video than audio. But like KeX says, the real the inheritor of the '70s hi-fi enthusiasm is home theatre, not mobile devices.

Okay....

I see both your points and I also think you're correct. I personally don't know anyone who'd dismantled their HT or dedicated 2 Channel systems for an IPod and docking station. But as I said, peoples tastes change when they mature.

Da Worfster

I listen to portable music as much as I do my system because I'm on the road so much - to be honest, I think this represents the old adage that being a music lover doesn't necessitate being an audiophile. Two different things. I bet most of the best musicians/performers from ANY era did not start out as audiophiles at all. Most probably still aren't.
    I use my portable media devices to play back much higher audio quality than 128k mp3, and I gather more and more people do. Gotta start somewhere though. It doesn't sound bad at all, I prefer it to any FM radio. And it is convenient. Hard to argue against that.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    to be honest, I think this represents the old adage that being a music lover doesn't necessitate being an audiophile. Two different things. I bet most of the best musicians/performers from ANY era did not start out as audiophiles at all. Most probably still aren't.
    I 100% agree with that point. IMO, you can be a music lover, an audiophile or both.

A Music Lover is... well... ummm... someone who loves music and as a result spends lots of time listening to music and/or playing musical instruments.

An Audiophile is someone who is obsessed with the quality of his/her playback devices and medium.

Many Audiophiles are also music lovers, but I'm sure that not all are. Some spend more time criticising their systems, making tweaks, changing cables and dreaming about new gear than actually just reclining in a chair and enjoying the music.

Talking Bigsurlyvoice

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    I 100% agree with that point. IMO, you can be a music lover, an audiophile or both.

A Music Lover is... well... ummm... someone who loves music and as a result spends lots of time listening to music and/or playing musical instruments.

An Audiophile is someone who is obsessed with the quality of his/her playback devices and medium.

Many Audiophiles are also music lovers, but I'm sure that not all are. Some spend more time criticising their systems, making tweaks, changing cables and dreaming about new gear than actually just reclining in a chair and enjoying the music.
    YEAH!

Forum Regular
    I'm not sure I agree that people who've been listening to compressed formats will mature into something better -- they'd have to know it was better, first, and if a great many of the high-end salons are out of business by the time these folks might have come around, then they never get the chance. I mean, gosh, a person could have said that eventually those same folks will yearn for a telephone call that they can actually hear the other end of, but it keeps not happening.

It's certainly a popular refrain. Stores are closing, but this may be due to the internet. Much high end gear is so expensive that saving 10% amounts to real money.

I wonder how they know it's dying? Yes the old magazines seem dead, but they may have died because their content became more and more superficial, most of the reviews were gushingly positive - drek. Yet the big names in equipment are still there, new models on a regular basis, you don't do that if you're going broke.

Anyway I see lots of vendors for high end gear, SACD lives on in spite of Sony, turntables are experiencing a resurgence. Things may be better than they look.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Ajani
    There are several problems that will prevent audiophilia from becoming more than just a niche market (In North America anyway, where I suspect it is dying much faster than in Europe and Asia):

1) Lack of advertising - This is a no-brainer... since the only brand that really advertises outside of crappy North American Review Mags is BOSE, then BOSE becomes synonymous with high-end audio to most consumers in North America...

2) The very image of the audiophile - essentially a pompous old snot with a $10K or more setup, clutching his collection of 1960's original LPs, and having utter contempt for both modern popular music and modern technology (especially solid state and digital) and worse yet anything remotely affordable (which gets dismissed as 'mid-fi' or 'mass-market')... That image does not jive with the desires of younger generations....

3) Outdated and Irrelevant review magazines... The North American mags cater to the audiophile mentioned above... Hence they choose to review a small number of mostly expensive products... They test the products using music that younger generations have never even heard... Simple comparison... I can't remember ever reading a review from either Stereophile or the Absolute Sound in which I was even familiar with the Artist being played... In contrast, I've read so many reviews from the UK's What-Hifi and Hifi Choice in which a listening panel tests the products using a wide range of music. from classical to modern artists such as Nelly Furtado and Eminem... If you want to get younger generations to read these magazines, then you need to review products of a relevant price range and use music that they are familiar with...

4) The stores that carry 'audiophile' gear have also chosen to cater mostly to the audiophile mentioned above... meaning lots of ultra-expensive gear, bad attitudes and Vinyl...

I'm actually the only under 30 Audiophile (Audio-Enthusiast) that I know (not including members of this site, since I haven't met any of you)... and the reason I even know that high-end exists is because about 10 years ago I stumbled across this website, when I was looking for a consumer review of a cheap pair of Technics speakers that I was planning to buy... I scrolled through the speakers section (sorted by price) and got the shock of a lifetime... That should not be the only way that younger generations get introduced to high-end audio...
    Last edited by Ajani; 07-15-2008 at 02:03 PM.

There are several problems that will prevent audiophilia from becoming more than just a niche market (In North America anyway, where I suspect it is dying much faster than in Europe and Asia)
    Well said, all four ponits.

MP3, HT, computers and poorly recorded music has contributed to the dwindling Audiophilia. In the 1970s when I was a teenager and in college, every one wanted to have a good sounding stereo and you could buy a nice sounding Marantz, Pioneer, Technics or Sansui 15wpc receiver for under $200 that would blow the pants off of most of todays sub $800 HT AVR's today. Good sounding equipment was cheap and well made back then. My vintage 1970's technics integrated amp still blows me away when I listen to it.

Part of the difference back then was that many people just listened to a transistor FM radio or a cheap stereo and then, when you went to some one's house or dorm room and heard a good stereo, you were blown away and wanted one. Today, just about every one has some sort of stereo, boom box or IPOD and the wow factor is no longer there.

Todays teens and college age people think that great sound is their IPOD playing through their radio, 20yo daughter no exception, but she's learning. I find her more and more using my stereo these days.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Cool

There are several problems that will prevent audiophilia from becoming more than just a niche market (In North America anyway, where I suspect it is dying much faster than in Europe and Asia):

1) Lack of advertising - This is a no-brainer... since the only brand that really advertises outside of crappy North American Review Mags is BOSE, then BOSE becomes synonymous with high-end audio to most consumers in North America...

2) The very image of the audiophile - essentially a pompous old snot with a $10K or more setup, clutching his collection of 1960's original LPs, and having utter contempt for both modern popular music and modern technology (especially solid state and digital) and worse yet anything remotely affordable (which gets dismissed as 'mid-fi' or 'mass-market')... That image does not jive with the desires of younger generations....

3) Outdated and Irrelevant review magazines... The North American mags cater to the audiophile mentioned above... Hence they choose to review a small number of mostly expensive products... They test the products using music that younger generations have never even heard... Simple comparison... I can't remember ever reading a review from either Stereophile or the Absolute Sound in which I was even familiar with the Artist being played... In contrast, I've read so many reviews from the UK's What-Hifi and Hifi Choice in which a listening panel tests the products using a wide range of music. from classical to modern artists such as Nelly Furtado and Eminem... If you want to get younger generations to read these magazines, then you need to review products of a relevant price range and use music that they are familiar with...

4) The stores that carry 'audiophile' gear have also chosen to cater mostly to the audiophile mentioned above... meaning lots of ultra-expensive gear, bad attitudes and Vinyl...

I'm actually the only under 30 Audiophile (Audio-Enthusiast) that I know (not including members of this site, since I haven't met any of you)... and the reason I even know that high-end exists is because about 10 years ago I stumbled across this website, when I was looking for a consumer review of a cheap pair of Technics speakers that I was planning to buy... I scrolled through the speakers section (sorted by price) and got the shock of a lifetime... That should not be the only way that younger generations get introduced to high-end audio...

Its sad what has happened to high end audio.
    Part of the problem is education, and lack of outreach.
    Also, mainstream audio gear used to be two channel, catering to great sound.
    everybody had a decent stereo, with a mainstream receiver with specs that in every way outdid those of todays receivers.
    The problem is that the "midrange" market has been conceded to HT,
    instead of a market that strives to higher end audio, you have a market that knows nothing about high end audo, or cares.
    They just want a bigger monitor.
    Audio is considered to be a minor part of a HT experience.
    Just sitting and listening to music is an alien concept to the modern busy world.
    And we're all the poorer for it.
    you cant miss what you dont know you're missing
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

I dunno - When I look back at a lot of systems 25 years ago they were often poor quality, faux-woodgrain finish one unit systems bought in Sears, units made of pure crap. Or entry level Pioneer/Kenwood/JVC/Technics stereo receivers which are not anywhere near as good as modern a/v receivers (at least not the stereo receivers I could afford as a kid). Kids in college might have had better stereos but I've been to enough homes to know not everyone did.

Access to good gear might be a bit worse now, but I don't know that the average North American stereo is all that worse than it ever was - I don't think the average consumer ever had all that great a system.

What the audio industry may have lost in the availability of entry level amplification, it certainly recovered and then some in the leaps and bounds entry level speakers have made the last 20 years.

The only question would be whether people have a dedicated stereo at all - I would argue that computers, multiple TV's and home video, and other forms of entertainment are more responsible for stealing disposable income from the audio sector than the Ipod phenomenon on its greatest day could ever be.

One thing's for sure - if people are willing to use computers, mini-systems, and Ipods for their music enjoyment purposes, the audiophile industry never really won the loyalty of consumers anyway.

Resurrection

As the "OP" (Original Poster) of this thread I'm gratified and pleased to see that it has resonated with some folks and produced some absolutely stirling repsonses (gold star to Ajani). I've not read a post here that I disagree with. Like Kex I don't know if todays average listener can comprehend the idea of just listening to 2 channel stereo with a dedicated 2 channel system. It is more of a rarity than one might think. Sigh, the more I read on this though, the more depressed I'm getting.

Da Worfster

Suspended
    As the "OP" (Original Poster) of this thread I'm gratified and pleased to see that it has resonated with some folks and produced some absolutely stirling repsonses (gold star to Ajani). I've not read a post here that I disagree with. Like Kex I don't know if todays average listener can comprehend the idea of just listening to 2 channel stereo with a dedicated 2 channel system. It is more of a rarity than one might think. Sigh, the more I read on this though, the more depressed I'm getting.

Da Worfster
    I heard Klingons don't use toilet paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    The '70s was the heyday of hi-fi but that day is over and won't return as such. What ended that era? It was the video cassette. The general population was and is inherently more interested video than audio. But like KeX says, the real the inheritor of the '70s hi-fi enthusiasm is home theatre, not mobile devices.
    Hi Feanor

Personally, I think it was CD that ended the era and thats not meant as a pop at CD, let me explain:

Cheap record players of the 50s 60s and 70s were crap, absolute crap and they offended the ears. Not only that, many of them destroyed records. They were so bad that they inspired a multitude of people to try and get something better. Back in those days there werent really any mini systems, the choice was between a crap record player and a Hi Fi set of varying degrees of quality. Also in those days, people had less money so would have to ponder the Hi Fi magazines to find out what to buy. Very few impulse buys back in the 60s.

People would go out and buy their first system typically in the UK with a Garrard SP25 turntable etc and it would be so much better than their old record player that many of them would then become hooked and and a few years later go out and buy a Thorend TD150 - wow! so much better again then back for a Shure V15. It used to be a logical path from total crap gradually through better and better.

However, nowadays with CD and a mini system things start out very well, in fact, so well that few people want anything better.

End of story as far as I can see!

Cheers

Chas

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas Underhay
    Hi Feanor

Personally, I think it was CD that ended the era and thats not meant as a pop at CD, let me explain:

Cheap record players of the 50s 60s and 70s were crap, absolute crap and they offended the ears. Not only that, many of them destroyed records. They were so bad that they inspired a multitude of people to try and get something better. Back in those days there werent really any mini systems, the choice was between a crap record player and a Hi Fi set of varying degrees of quality. Also in those days, people had less money so would have to ponder the Hi Fi magazines to find out what to buy. Very few impulse buys back in the 60s.

People would go out and buy their first system typically in the UK with a Garrard SP25 turntable etc and it would be so much better than their old record player that many of them would then become hooked and and a few years later go out and buy a Thorend TD150 - wow! so much better again then back for a Shure V15. It used to be a logical path from total crap gradually through better and better.

However, nowadays with CD and a mini system things start out very well, in fact, so well that few people want anything better.

End of story as far as I can see!

Cheers

Chas
    Good point.... a $200 mini-system won't sound remotely good by audiophile standards (trust me, I know)... but it sure as hell won't destroy your CDs and for most people it provides suitable musical quality, especially if you don't sit down and listen critically... another option is to get an Ipod and a decent pair of headphones, as you'd have to spend a LOT more on a 2 channel system to better it sonically... (the only reason I don't recommend the ipod setup is because headphones are potentially bad for your hearing)...

Now if you want to have a real fun activity, try to convice someone with a $10K setup that they can get decent sound out of a $300 Ipod + Headphones combo... not, that I am in anyway implying that an ipod combo sounds nearly as good as a proper $10K stereo, just that what is available for very little money is far far better than many 'audiophiles' imagine...

If we really want to get younger generations interested in this hobby, then we need to end the snobbery and simply show realistic upgrade paths... Most consumers will never feel the need to upgrade (as Chas mentioned) but those who do, will be able to move up in reasonable increments...

The other strategy is to do as Naim (Bentley), B&W (Jaguar) and Mark Levinson (Lexus) are doing.... which is to align themselves with luxury cars... If you want to aim at the $10K plus market, then getting people who can afford those kind of setups used to your brand, is a good way to do it... Heck it's worked for BOSE (Mercedes) for sometime now (though Bose isn't really $10K, more around $5K but the principle is the same)...

Oh no! We're dying? Is that why I keep getting older every year? This sucks.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

The other strategy is to do as Naim (Bentley), B&W (Jaguar) and Mark Levinson (Lexus) are doing.... which is to align themselves with luxury cars... If you want to aim at the $10K plus market, then getting people who can afford those kind of setups used to your brand, is a good way to do it... Heck it's worked for BOSE (Mercedes) for sometime now (though Bose isn't really $10K, more around $5K but the principle is the same)...
    Hi Ajani

I guess you could also relate it to cars in another way; 1950s 60s and 70s cars were also generally crap and because they were quite simple many people used to tinker with them and probably did often make them better but consider modern cars; even basic models are now so good that you don't need to tinker with them and they're reliable.

In the 60s the difference between a basic Ford and say a Bentley was vast. Nowadays that basic Ford will actually be quite close to a Bentley inasmuch as it will be totally reliable, will be able to (legally) complete long journeys in similar times it will be comfortable, quiet and will have all the toys like air-con, CD player, sat nav etc. A 1960s Bentley had a basic heater and wind up windows. Oh yeah, and it really wasn't that quick, handled like a sack of dung, wasn't very reliable and rusted badly. The Ford was ten times worse.

What I'm saying is that nowadays, the basic models are often so good (Ford or mini system) that many people don't feel any necessity to progress to more exotic products.

A $200 (£100) mini system may be a bit too far down the line to use as a comparison but something for around $400 to 500 (£200 to 250) would probably be quite good and considering inflation; that would roughly equate to spending about £10 to 12 on a record player in the 1960s. I think a Garrard 401 was about £30 in those days and Quad electrostatics about £30 each. A Bentley would have been about £5000 and an E type about £2000 by the way.

Cheers

Chas
    Last edited by Chas Underhay; 07-16-2008 at 08:49 AM.

It's important not to overlook marketing and distribution to see where some of the change is coming from. People's buying habits have changed dramatically in the last ten years, as well as their research habits, communication habits, and social networking habits.

I'll bet a large number of the members here go to the Internet first when researching potential purchases. This is far more convenient than the old method of looking in the yellow pages, calling stores, and driving around trying to find stores that had something you wanted to see/hear.

I'll bet a large number of the members here will buy over the Internet even if they went to a store (if they could find one) first to listen to something. It's generally cheaper, and easy to do. It's far more convenient that the old method of comparison shopping store-to-store and stopping in to try to make a deal based on competitor's prices.

I'll bet a large number of members here do much of their preliminary and final social networking here and on other forums when it comes to deciding what to buy. How many times have people come seeking advice, they get it, they buy, and they don't stay long? This is far more convenient than the old method of getting opinions from neighbors, relatives, and idiot acquaintances who can get you a great deal from a guy who has a van load of audiophile gear that he'll sell WAY below cost.

The iPod is available on the Internet, at BB, at CC, at the mall kiosk, at Target, at Macy's, I mean where is it NOT available? We have at least six of them in the house, and there's two of us. As a contrast, when I wanted to buy a Sony Walkman way back when, I had to trudge from store to store after making several calls from the yellow pages to find out who carried them, then had to show up in person to see if any were in stock when I got there, had to pay the darned MAP on it, and walked out of the store wondering what the real cost was in my time, gas, and energy.

Those who adapt to the new marketing and distribution paradigm will profit, and those who don't will need to keep margins high by moving upscale and generating lots of repeat business. The problem with audiophiles is they get old and die, so at some point the business does not repeat and the old model becomes more vulnerable.

Yes, I think in a very literal sense, audiophilia is dying.
    I like sulung tang.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by filecat13
    It's important not to overlook marketing and distribution to see where some of the change is coming from. People's buying habits have changed dramatically in the last ten years, as well as their research habits, communication habits, and social networking habits.

I'll bet a large number of the members here go to the Internet first when researching potential purchases. This is far more convenient than the old method of looking in the yellow pages, calling stores, and driving around trying to find stores that had something you wanted to see/hear.

I'll bet a large number of the members here will buy over the Internet even if they went to a store (if they could find one) first to listen to something. It's generally cheaper, and easy to do. It's far more convenient that the old method of comparison shopping store-to-store and stopping in to try to make a deal based on competitor's prices.

I'll bet a large number of members here do much of their preliminary and final social networking here and on other forums when it comes to deciding what to buy. How many times have people come seeking advice, they get it, they buy, and they don't stay long? This is far more convenient than the old method of getting opinions from neighbors, relatives, and idiot acquaintances who can get you a great deal from a guy who has a van load of audiophile gear that he'll sell WAY below cost.

The iPod is available on the Internet, at BB, at CC, at the mall kiosk, at Target, at Macy's, I mean where is it NOT available? We have at least six of them in the house, and there's two of us. As a contrast, when I wanted to buy a Sony Walkman way back when, I had to trudge from store to store after making several calls from the yellow pages to find out who carried them, then had to show up in person to see if any were in stock when I got there, had to pay the darned MAP on it, and walked out of the store wondering what the real cost was in my time, gas, and energy.

Those who adapt to the new marketing and distribution paradigm will profit, and those who don't will need to keep margins high by moving upscale and generating lots of repeat business. The problem with audiophiles is they get old and die, so at some point the business does not repeat and the old model becomes more vulnerable.

Yes, I think in a very literal sense, audiophilia is dying.
    I especially agree with your last point... Trying to hold on to audiophiles from the 70s or earlier, means a constantly declining customer base.... I think more brands and stores need to start trying to attract the younger generations if they have any serious plans of growing their business...

Interestingly, several major brands are now creating products that are in touch with modern times... Amps with USB inputs/DACS and media servers.. the only problem is that too many of these products are at the top end of their product lines... How many younger consumers can afford media servers in excess of $4K from Arcam or NAIM? Or Integrated amps (with built in DACs) for over $5K from Musical Fidelity or NAIM? Even Integrated Amps with just a USB input (very basic DAC) are $2K or more - Musical Fidelity and Bel Canto...

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Now I could believe the modern computer/home theater combo and iPod are killing the mini-system and budget all-in one Emerson stereo system to some degree, but it's not putting MacIntosh and Snell out of business.
    Yep... according to the article, shelf systems are down 40%... which wouldn't suprise me... given that brands like Panasonic no longer even have mini-systems on their website (just a few models of micro-systems)...

To combat the effect of Ipods and cheap docks, I notice that the latest generation of mini-systems from Philips and Sony are shockingly advanced... they have internal hardrives and are able to access the music on your computer wirelessly... Now If only the major audiophile brands would follow...

Cool

I especially agree with your last point... Trying to hold on to audiophiles from the 70s or earlier, means a constantly declining customer base.... I think more brands and stores need to start trying to attract the younger generations if they have any serious plans of growing their business...

Interestingly, several major brands are now creating products that are in touch with modern times... Amps with USB inputs/DACS and media servers.. the only problem is that too many of these products are at the top end of their product lines... How many younger consumers can afford media servers in excess of $4K from Arcam or NAIM? Or Integrated amps (with built in DACs) for over $5K from Musical Fidelity or NAIM? Even Integrated Amps with just a USB input (very basic DAC) are $2K or more - Musical Fidelity and Bel Canto...

Theres a word for that...RIPOFF.\Why anybody pays several grand for a "music server" is beyond me when a 300$ pc can do the same job.
    CIRCUIT CITY HAD A "MEDIA SERVER" for 500$, basicall a TOWER PC.
    And dont tell me you have to be "computer literate" to use your PC for a music server, Itunes, etc betray that falsehood.
    Maybe the "audiophille " isnt dying but just moved maybe he's listening to itunes piped through his stereo.
    I keep hearing about people ditching their CD collections, burning their music to HD, maybe this is the future.
    If so then we need a version of teh future that is as "audiophile" quality as possible.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Chas, good point, there are much more choices now such as mini systems compared to the 60's and 70's. Most people are satisfied with this type of sound. The CD has changed that HiFi landscape. But now its Mp3 thats contributing to the problem as well.

In my previous post, I did not mean to imply that AVR's are junk although I came off that way. Its just that back in the 70's you could get very good 2ch sound from a $150 receiver. (although if you browse this forum and mention that you want to use an AVR for quality 2ch music, many people try to steer you away from this saying that a sub 1K receiver cant possibly give you excellent sound quailty).
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP