Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Newbie needs speaker advice

Hi Guys,
    Just a quick Bio,
    I did what I considered my "Audiophile" listening in the '70s.I ran the usual gamut of Kenwood,Pioneer,etc.All great stuff in retrospect......I "settled down" with a Crown DC300A Amp,Stacked Original Large Advent Loudspeakers wired in series,a Technics Base with a Shure SME Tonearm and an AKG Cartidridge.All in a small bedroom...Vinyl never sounded so good.I sold it all after I got married,then proceeded to start with CD's in the mid '80s.Never liked them from the start and still don't but what else could I do...wished they used SACD's from the begining,might have been a whole different story....In the late '80s I bought an Onkyo A-8170 integrated amp which I still have,Large Advents after they were sold to Jensen Audio(not nearly as good as my Originals) and a Technics Cd single well player.Now for the advice I desperately need..........I'm looking to upgrade on somewhat of a budget,I ordered an Onkyo DX-7555 Cd player after reading the reviews and specs.....Tending towards an NAD Integrated amp $500-$800,but the real problem is going to be the speakers....as you probably know,the Advents were Acoustic Suspension and relatively uncolored sound.....I once tried a Polk Audio ported design floorstander in the '80s and promptly returned them due quick listening fatigue....so what I need is good advice on a set of floorstanding speakers that would have very good tight bass response but mostly have what would be considered a "neutral" flat response so I can listen for long periods without fatigue.I love doing research,but this could take years with the amount on Speaker companies and hype that's out there.......thanks for helping a fellow Audiophile where to begin looking.............

What's your speaker budget?

Forum Regular
    That would have helped.........$800-1200 pair

Suspended
    Are there any brands you can audition? In that price you could buy a set of Dynaudio, may have to get bookshelf though, but they would have the bass response of most floorstanding in your price. Dynaudio is the most neutral speaker I've found, meaning they have workd well for me with a variety of music and amps.

I'm not sure what you mean by fatigue, I've typically found Polk not to be overly bright. Most people speak of fatigue happening when the music is bright or harsh which means you grow tired of it after a certain time. If this happening with Polk you might want to look at the electronics you use. Maybe try a entry Marantz CD player opposed to the Techniques or the Cambridge 640 is being sold at $349.00 which is known to be a respectable player. I think you'll like the added refinement of the NAD.

I also like Paradigm but if you don't like high end extension they may not be for yoo. There are B&W models you could listen to as well in your price. Wharfdale are decent speakers at a budget price, not in the range of refinement as those I've previously mentioned but a good bang for the buck.

I hate these speakers personally but if you want a more laid back muted sound you should give a listen to Vandersteen to see if that's something you like.

If you don't mind buying used equipment, there's some great value in it. Also...I think you'll see better options in bookshelf speakers at your budget, even if you have to buy stands.

Looking at the ads on Audiogon, I see a multitude of nice speakers at or under your budget...

ProAc Studio 110
    ProAc Ref8
    Dynaudio Audience 42
    PSB Platinum M2
    Focal Cobalt 806S
    Focal Chorus 806V
    Revel M20
    Usher Compass X-719

and only a few nice floorstanders at this budget...

Dynaudio Audience 62
    Focal Cobalt 816S
    Usher 6311

What would you think of bookshelf speakers?

Forum Regular
    By fatigue I meant I found myself wanting to stop listening after awhile.I chalked it up to getting used to the neutral (boring?) sound of the Advents and not liking the punchier,brighter sound of the Polks...this was in the '80s that I tried the Polks...I already have an Onkyo CD player on the way..DX-7555,probably going to go with the NAD 326BEE amp...a store in Cambridge,Ma has Monitor Audio's Bronze and Silver series that he thinks I'll be happy with..Just trying to avoid any "brightness,punchiness" etc. Also was always wary of a ported design because of the potential for boomy bass which I can't stand....anyways thanks for the advice...hope this thread takes off !!!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    If you don't mind buying used equipment, there's some great value in it. Also...I think you'll see better options in bookshelf speakers at your budget, even if you have to buy stands.

Looking at the ads on Audiogon, I see a multitude of nice speakers at or under your budget...

ProAc Studio 110
    ProAc Ref8
    Dynaudio Audience 42
    PSB Platinum M2
    Focal Cobalt 806S
    Focal Chorus 806V
    Revel M20
    Usher Compass X-719

and only a few nice floorstanders at this budget...

Dynaudio Audience 62
    Focal Cobalt 816S
    Usher 6311

What would you think of bookshelf speakers?
    I may try that route with the bookshelfs....btw,what do you think of Monitor Audio Speakers in general as I can demo them nearby where i work

Being able to demo them is a huge advantage, of course. Good call on Monitor Audio. I didn't think to look at those on Audiogon. Now that I look, I see some good deals. It seems like I remember the new prices for the Silver series floorstander being within your budget...or almost.

By the way...I suspect if you've heard boomy bass, it might have been a speaker placement issue. Ported designs aren't inherently boomy.

I would consider the NHT Classic Three's. They have a warmer sound with excellent bass for their size.

http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/1106nht/

They list for $800 but can be had for $650pr. I believe www.audioadvisor has them on sale for that price.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular

Mordaunt-Short or Epos in your price range

You may want to see if there is a dealer in your area that carries the Mordaunt-Short line of speakers. M.S. has recently come out with a newer line up, Aviano, that has bookshelf and floorstanders in your price range ( you can read a current review on What Hi Fi)

Another speaker line in your price range would be Epos. Specifically the M5i or M12.2, both are standmount speakers, might also be worth an audition to you.

Just an fyi, about 5 years ago I bought a pair of Polk RTi-4 speakers and after about 2 weeks I couldn't take the brightness anymore and took them back to
    Tweeters for a full refund. So, I agree with your opinion with regard to listener fatigue and Polk speakers.

Good luck with your research and selection.

LeRoy
    Last edited by LeRoy; 09-12-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Suspended
    By all means listen to the Monitor that way you will know but Ajani likes Monitor because they, are, bright. Most Dynaudio come with a port plug to help tailor bass but they do punch with the proper power and the highs are extended. If looking at ported speakers I'd recommend a front port to prevent boominess.

From what you are saying I would strongly urge you to check out Vandersteen. I think they may be what your doctor ordered. Most people look for in a speaker what you seem not to like. Punch is usually desired, a kick drum shouldn't sound like a baby fart in a diaper. And cymbals live crash not whisper. Not criticizing, we all like what we like and Vandersteen is a love/hate thing and I think you may be one of their lost lovers. If I'm not mistaken I believe they used a sealed box for the woofer as well.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

magneplanars

maybe you can audition the 1.6s locally or try the MMGs on their introductory offer. i bought my friend's MMGs and use a sub to very good advantage.

nad electronics might be good, but there aother choices, a used arc sp9 on agon and an adcom gfp5400 or 5500 would yield a really nice sound. the tubes in the front end will put you closer to the music and the adcoms are godawful powerful for their ratings. and unlike what some deaf people say, the adcoms are NOT bright.
    ...regards...tr

Forum Regular
    I have a similar sound signature preference as the OP. Bass that goes to low octives, unboomy midbass, smooth midrange, and treble that isnt peaky. This is how I would describe the sound of my B&O Pentas. As far as recommendations, you could look at some really nice vintage gear with an "east coast" sound.

Also consider the position of your speakers and room acoustics. It has a tremendous effect on sound.

Suspended
    I thought of a couple other brands you might want to give a listen to. One is Thiel which may be pushing your budget but they have a nice sweet sound without being dead. The Acoustic Energy will get you into a floorstander for a reasonable price. The bass is not strong, their response is actually pretty flat for a speaker in that price. I don't remember specifics on the highs but nothing about the sound was aggressive. I think they have what some used to call the "British" sound.

You can see Thiel at www.crutchfield.com

Keep us posted on your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    maybe you can audition the 1.6s locally or try the MMGs on their introductory offer. i bought my friend's MMGs and use a sub to very good advantage.

nad electronics might be good, but there aother choices, a used arc sp9 on agon and an adcom gfp5400 or 5500 would yield a really nice sound. the tubes in the front end will put you closer to the music and the adcoms are godawful powerful for their ratings. and unlike what some deaf people say, the adcoms are NOT bright.
    I'm with you on this one. Were I starting out knowing what I know now, I'd buy a pair of 1.6QR's and a good sub woofer. The ARC SP-9 and Adcom GFA- 54xx series work well together. Like hifitommy I don't find Adcoms to be bright.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the advice guys....
    I guess I'm fondly remembering the sound I loved in the '70s with those New England speaker companies KLH,AR,EPI,ADVENT,etc,especially that Acoustic Suspension design.Inefficient I know,but usually very true bass.After reading the comments on how certain companies speakers "sound",I remember reading Julian Hirschs' reviews in Stereo Review Magazine and checking the Frequency Response measurements looking for the flattest response curve.The point I'm trying to make is,shouldn't the "ideal sounding" speaker have a flat and uncolored sound which in turn would reproduce the music source you're listening to without adding anything else to the sound or is there something else I should be looking for?......

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtheunder
    Thanks for the advice guys....
    I guess I'm fondly remembering the sound I loved in the '70s with those New England speaker companies KLH,AR,EPI,ADVENT,etc,especially that Acoustic Suspension design.Inefficient I know,but usually very true bass.After reading the comments on how certain companies speakers "sound",I remember reading Julian Hirschs' reviews in Stereo Review Magazine and checking the Frequency Response measurements looking for the flattest response curve.The point I'm trying to make is,shouldn't the "ideal sounding" speaker have a flat and uncolored sound which in turn would reproduce the music source you're listening to without adding anything else to the sound or is there something else I should be looking for?......
    Its not just the frequency response that colors the sound, its also the room, amp, your ears vs. your friends, different recordings, microphones, wires, comfort levels and mood, etc... Its basically impossible to get the perfect sound. Besides, colorations are necessary to give equipment a certain character.

Over the past, Ive learned that there is a big, big difference between what we "want" to hear and whats actually on the recording. In my opinion, your better off finding a comfortable coloration instead of no coloration at all (which is impossible and often leads to a system that sounds too emotionless and in the end becomes boring.) Like I said, its the colorations that give speakers their character. Yes, low coloration is generally a good thing and can be recognized by us audiophiles. But its just so subjective in the first place. Hell, some people like EQ!

Think about if every sound system in the world sounded "perfect". Nobody would have anything to compare it to! Get my point?

Forum Regular
    Yeah,point well taken....I'm sure my opinion was formed back in the '70s when I was relatively happy with my Large Advents,decided to try another brand that sounded great in the store,brought them home,couldn't stand them after a couple of days,dreaded having to return them,and figured the only speakers I'd ever like were the ones that were relatively "neutral" sounding.I understand now,that it's all subjective anyways,and if I like the sound of any speakers I buy in the future,then they'll be the "right" speakers for me.
    I suppose I might as well start trolling the used gear ads and get the jouney underway LOL

Suspended
    Yeah,point well taken....I'm sure my opinion was formed back in the '70s when I was relatively happy with my Large Advents,decided to try another brand that sounded great in the store,brought them home,couldn't stand them after a couple of days,dreaded having to return them,and figured the only speakers I'd ever like were the ones that were relatively "neutral" sounding.I understand now,that it's all subjective anyways,and if I like the sound of any speakers I buy in the future,then they'll be the "right" speakers for me.
    I suppose I might as well start trolling the used gear ads and get the jouney underway LOL
    Neutral with much less than average coloration would be Dynaudio. I'm not sure what Advent in the 70's sounds like but if it didn't have punch and the highs were rolled off then they were colored, so what you say here is pretty much the right direction. I hope some day your ears land on a Vandersteen.

Out of curiosity have you heard Bose? If so, how do you like them? They are another brand that aren't extended on the highs and shouldn't punch much.

I like B&W speakers. Bookshelves for the budget of say $700-1200. I bought CDM 1NT with stands for $835. I got mine off Ebay. Got a NAD C355BEE. Runs about 80 clean WPC. I have turned the knob as far as I care to go, about 3/4. Very little distortion if any. Try Audioreview.com for reviews of about anything.
    Good luck,
    The Wulf.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdalton1
    I like B&W speakers. Bookshelves for the budget of say $700-1200. I bought CDM 1NT with stands for $835. I got mine off Ebay. Got a NAD C355BEE. Runs about 80 clean WPC. I have turned the knob as far as I care to go, about 3/4. Very little distortion if any. Try Audioreview.com for reviews of about anything.
    Good luck,
    The Wulf.
    Another vote for B & W CM series or maybe something in the 600 line. Paired with a Pioneer Elite receiver they will sound warmer.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Hi Everyone..

I have had the Klipsch Promedia 4.1 speaker system for my computer for like 10 years. Damn thing has been solid.
    ProMedia 4.1 iPod/Computer Speaker - Overview.
    Just recently the foam around the sub woofer has completely disintegrated.
    I took it apart and started looking for 7in foam replacement but no luck. Mostly found 6.5in or 8 in foam replacement kits.
    I called Klpisch and it would cost $45 to buy and ship out new speakers.
    I found online this other place that has 7in subs but that would cost $35 bucks.
    If I am going to spend that much I'm thinking I might as well spend a little more and maybe up grade.
    I'm not sure how good the sound card is on my computer since I just got a new one and it is integrated with the Motherboard but the software settings go up to 7.1 surround sound.
    So should I A.) try to fix or rig up the old sub woofer
    (Would frys have 7in subs for a decent price?

or B.) Just go the extra mile and get a whole new speaker set up.

If B.) any suggestions?
    antennenkabel

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pattinsonrobert
    Hi Everyone..

I have had the Klipsch Promedia 4.1 speaker system for my computer for like 10 years. Damn thing has been solid.
    ProMedia 4.1 iPod/Computer Speaker - Overview.
    Just recently the foam around the sub woofer has completely disintegrated.
    I took it apart and started looking for 7in foam replacement but no luck. Mostly found 6.5in or 8 in foam replacement kits.
    I called Klpisch and it would cost $45 to buy and ship out new speakers.
    I found online this other place that has 7in subs but that would cost $35 bucks.
    If I am going to spend that much I'm thinking I might as well spend a little more and maybe up grade.
    I'm not sure how good the sound card is on my computer since I just got a new one and it is integrated with the Motherboard but the software settings go up to 7.1 surround sound.
    So should I A.) try to fix or rig up the old sub woofer
    (Would frys have 7in subs for a decent price?

or B.) Just go the extra mile and get a whole new speaker set up.

If B.) any suggestions?

I just recently went through all of this. I have a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum sound card out to a Firestone Spitfire 24 bit DAC. This in turn feeds into my rig and sounds great. To me it's a waste of money to buy computer speakers, however, maybe you are not set up to output to your stereo.

Consider upgrading your set up with a better soundcard and DAC. If this isn't an option, then visit your local shop and buy something new. Polk Audio make great computer speakers...

Suspended
    You said you like your Klipsch, I'd just pay the $45.00 and get the exact replacement and call it a day. Of course, if the sub driver has decentigrated then the rest of the drivers may be next in short time, so a new speaker option isn't a bad idea either.

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    That would have helped.........$800-1200 pair

Check out a used B&W 684 or 683 or audiogon. I've seen a 683's go for as low as $850.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information