New member say,.... hello

Printable View

  • 03-31-2006, 01:56 AM
    patpong
    1 Attachment(s)
    New member say,.... hello
    I have just discovered this forum just a few hours ago.... great forum, lots of information, great gallery and pictures.
    I have been fasinated with these exotics highend stereo system since college years. I started with a reciever to the system I have now.... incredible fun experiencing, testing, side by side equipment was the greatest fun... through the years. Ferraris got my attention for awhile. Now, the power of internet got me back to the audiophile community.... just want to say hi and glad to be here.

    here is my years of discovering of what I want for my music reproduction system...
  • 03-31-2006, 06:00 AM
    GMichael
    Very nice system you have there! Apogees?

    Welcome to AR. I am Micheal. They consider me the comic relief around here.
  • 03-31-2006, 07:36 AM
    matt39
    Welcome to AR Pat. Nice system.
    Gary
  • 03-31-2006, 07:39 AM
    JohnMichael
    Welcome to AudioReview patpong and yes GMichael is our sites humorist. Wait until you meet Florian. He is a big fan of Apogees (you might say rabid).
  • 04-01-2006, 12:59 AM
    patpong
    Thank you everyone...
    I saw Florian's system... amazing. The Diva I got has damage on the bass panel. Every time I mentioned the word Diva... tear falling out from my eyes... But, the rest of the Apogee I have the Duetta Sign., Calliper Sign., Stage and Minigrand are great.. I guess after years of pursuding this high-end stereo the Apogee is for my taste and style... which is classical music. I listened only to those that reproduce the sound of the violin the best and Apogee came out on top everytime
  • 04-01-2006, 05:35 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by patpong
    The Diva I got has damage on the bass panel. Every time I mentioned the word Diva... tear falling out from my eyes...

    Gasp! Damage? What kind of damage? Cosmetic or, gulp, functional?
    Either way, I believe there is help available. I know that Florian knows of people who repair these things. I'm sure he'll hook you up.
  • 04-01-2006, 08:16 AM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by patpong
    here is my years of discovering of what I want for my music reproduction system...

    Welcome! Nice system. Cello preamp and VTL mono amps?

    rw
  • 04-01-2006, 08:56 AM
    topspeed
    Welcome to AR. Flo replaced his ribbons so I'm sure he can help you find a suitable solution for your diva's as well.

    What stallions do you have in your stable?
  • 04-03-2006, 05:12 AM
    Worf101
    Hello and welcome to our "wacky world".
    Thanks for introducing yourself and being friendly. Welcome to the world of A.R.com. It's one interesting place. A lot less interesting than when I first joined (when they migrated to the format I lost about 500 or so posts) about 6 years ago, but it's still one lively place, particularly if the "B" word is mentioned. I enjoyed looking at your system. It's beautiful, I'd love to have one like it and the house that goes with it... LOL.. Anyway, welcome aboard...

    Yours...

    Da Worfster
  • 04-03-2006, 06:32 AM
    kexodusc
    Welcome, Patpong
    Hello, and welcome! Your system is amazing, no question about it.

    What are those on the wall behind the amps? Bass absorbers?

    And enough about your system...care to tell us about those paintings?
  • 04-03-2006, 09:17 AM
    Florian
    Hello there fellow Apogee friend!

    I am sometimes a comical relief (i cant touch GM tough) and sometimes the biggest pain in the behind on these forums.

    Anyway we already PM ;-)
  • 04-03-2006, 09:30 AM
    Florian
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Hello, and welcome! Your system is amazing, no question about it.

    What are those on the wall behind the amps? Bass absorbers?

    And enough about your system...care to tell us about those paintings?

    To help you out here, they are diffusors. Absorbers need some thickness and are best no made out of hard materials. Apogees need the hard rear wall to get the right tonal balance. They are designed with the backwave in mind.

    Cheers
  • 04-03-2006, 09:52 AM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Florian
    To help you out here, they are diffusors. Absorbers need some thickness and are best no made out of hard materials. Apogees need the hard rear wall to get the right tonal balance. They are designed with the backwave in mind.

    Cheers

    Thanks Flo, that was my follow up question if he answered yes. They look an awefully lot like Auralex Mega LENRD's, which are foam bass traps with the geometric wedge cuts. I was thinking 2 of those behind Apogees would defeat the purpose of a dipole speaker which is why I asked....

    I'm looking for something EXACTLY like what's in those pictures. The only diffusors I can find are really just deflectors and look more like plastic tupperware or something you'd put fried chicken in. Or those quadratic styrofoam RPG type diffusors that stick out 3 feet from a wall. I'm pretty sure my wife won't allow those in my living room :)
  • 04-03-2006, 09:54 AM
    Florian
    I am building some diffusors for my Apogees. If you would like the plans let me know :-)

    They work from 250Hz to about 1.2KHz
  • 04-03-2006, 10:36 AM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Florian
    I am building some diffusors for my Apogees. If you would like the plans let me know :-)

    They work from 250Hz to about 1.2KHz

    That's funny...I'm busy building some acoustic panels and bass traps....I would like to see your plans...the few suggestions I've had from books/internet are either way too ugly, or are just deflector panels and not "true" diffusors.
  • 04-03-2006, 10:50 AM
    Florian
    Well these come from Toine, he specializes in Acoustics and is a Apogee owner also. This is from our forum.

    http://audioworld.com/sw/Forum1/HTML/004982.html
  • 04-03-2006, 11:17 AM
    kexodusc
    Thanks Flo,
    I know this design works very well, unfortunately, I need the diffusion in my home theater setup, not my stereo setup, and this is just a bit too ugly as is to go in my living room.

    http://www.bobgolds.com/DifuserKgveteran/home.htm

    Though, now that I think of it, I could just cover it in GOM fabric...hmm....Maybe I'll try a couple of each.
  • 04-03-2006, 12:28 PM
    Florian
    Your welcome. I need to build many of those, i need 3 stacked ones alone to cover the height behind me speakers. Then another 3 per side for the first reflection points and 3 more per side for the floor.

    Hehe, i am in a bamboo room so all the wood might be nice.
  • 04-03-2006, 01:24 PM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Florian
    Your welcome. I need to build many of those, i need 3 stacked ones alone to cover the height behind me speakers. Then another 3 per side for the first reflection points and 3 more per side for the floor.

    Hehe, i am in a bamboo room so all the wood might be nice.

    Flo, I don't read dutch, but I thought I read that the only width and depth affect the diffusors operating range. Shouldn't you be able to build it extra tall, but the same depth and width? That would simplify things for you.

    I think I'm going to give it a try along with the those blue styrofoam 3D diffusors covered in fabric. My stereo room is quite diffusive where I need it to be, but my home theater room needs some diffusion behind me in between the 6th and 7th rear speakers, and some up beside the side surrounds.
  • 04-03-2006, 01:29 PM
    Florian
    Yes i will build just a few tall ones :)
    Since my speakers are way to big for my room i need some more treatments altough the speaker is flat in my room by + - 1.5 to 3db. Now all i need is a toolshed and some time. Maybe next week i can start on them. When they are 2m tall i will have to do the same as when i got the DIVA's which is to remove the window since they wont fit down the stairs :idea:
  • 04-03-2006, 07:37 PM
    patpong
    Many thanks for the welcome notes,
    Those wooden things are, yes, diffusors. They were made by HiFi Club, a local Thai audiophile, handmade from teak wood. They do work well placing them on the sides actually. They do direct sound toward listening area when set up correctly. So, the sound really get out of the box and surround listener. But, in my case, for these diffusors to work I have to place them on the sides which is right in the middle of the room. no wife approved for that matter, hahaha.
  • 06-18-2006, 10:31 PM
    jrhymeammo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by patpong
    I have just discovered this forum just a few hours ago.... great forum, lots of information, great gallery and pictures.
    I have been fasinated with these exotics highend stereo system since college years. I started with a reciever to the system I have now.... incredible fun experiencing, testing, side by side equipment was the greatest fun... through the years. Ferraris got my attention for awhile. Now, the power of internet got me back to the audiophile community.... just want to say hi and glad to be here.

    here is my years of discovering of what I want for my music reproduction system...

    I believe I've seen this system on Audiogon gallery. Welcome and I hope to receive some quality advice from you in near future.
  • 06-19-2006, 01:24 AM
    likeitloud
    Welcome aboard, I've learned sooo much from theses guy's. I was out of the hobbie
    for awhile (marrige, kids, dog etc) and have just been collecting some gear, and this
    forum is a great help. Have fun, and again welcome.

    Pioneer VSX1015TX
    JBL Northridge E150 Powered Sub
    JBL 4410A Studio Monitors(Front)
    JBL Northridge E30(Surrounds)
    JBL Cinema Vison CVCEN50 Center
    JBL Northridge Satellites(Back Channel)
    Pioneer Elite DV45A DVDA/SACD
    Panasonic DVD F86K
    Sony RCD W500C CD PLAYER/REC
    AR Interconnects
    Cobalt 14G Wire
    Sanus Stands
    XBOX 360 (Just Added)

    As Long As My Brain And Fingers Work I'm Cool...Edward Van Halen
  • 06-19-2006, 02:55 AM
    Feanor
    Nice to see another panel devotee
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by patpong
    I have just discovered this forum just a few hours ago.... great forum, lots of information, great gallery and pictures.
    I have been fasinated with these exotics highend stereo system since college years. I started with a reciever to the system I have now.... incredible fun experiencing, testing, side by side equipment was the greatest fun... through the years. Ferraris got my attention for awhile. Now, the power of internet got me back to the audiophile community.... just want to say hi and glad to be here.

    here is my years of discovering of what I want for my music reproduction system...

    Looks like your years of dedication have payed off big-time. Gorgeous system! :cornut: