golden ear

adding dedicated preamps

i have an existing audio-video surround component set up with an AV surround receiver acting as the preamp during stereo music listening. in 2 months from now, ill be having a dedicated stereo preamplifier. how do i hook in this one into my existing set up if ill be making use only of it for music and the receiver only for movies? would i be needing a T or Y RCA connector in the inputs of my stereo power amps to accomodate both the reciever and the preamp outputs going to it? is would there be a wiser solution?

golden ear
    Quote Originally Posted by accastil
    i have an existing audio-video surround component set up with an AV surround receiver acting as the preamp during stereo music listening. in 2 months from now, ill be having a dedicated stereo preamplifier. how do i hook in this one into my existing set up if ill be making use only of it for music and the receiver only for movies? would i be needing a T or Y RCA connector in the inputs of my stereo power amps to accomodate both the reciever and the preamp outputs going to it? is would there be a wiser solution?
    it is becuase i do not want to be redundant making use of both the reciever and the stereo preamp all at the same time when listening and/or when watching movies.

Get a preamp that has an A/V pass through or bypass. That way you connect the amplifier for your front speakers to your preamp. The front L and R outputs from your surround component go to the pass through or bypass inputs on your preamp. You can connect your CD player, TT and any other 2 channel source to your preamp. Sources that are surround, Dolby, DTS or anything else multichannel get connected to your surround processor component.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Thread Information