Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar

Cool or Uncool?!?

Let's face it, we live in a world of cheaply made earbuds. At best, overly fashioned headphones have made some strides but the general population is definitely concerned with "Street Style". Since I got my PA2V2 portable headphone amp, I've been wearing my K240S out and about. All I ever here from people is how big they are, etc. etc.

Is it cool to wear big ass audiophile phones out or not?!? Personally at this juncture of my life I am all about function. I figure with the sweet sounds I am hearing I get the last laugh...any thoughts??

By the way, PA2V2 is made by Electric Avenues, a small independent company...Google it and check 'em out, best portable on the market...

And...

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Let's face it, we live in a world of cheaply made earbuds.
    one with superb sounding IEMs. I use Shure E3s when I travel and work in the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Is it cool to wear big ass audiophile phones out or not?!?
    While I'm no longer a kid, I do chuckle whenever I fly and see guys wearing giant Bose headphones. Especially since they don't sound any better than the Shures, are woefully inefficient and look decidedly goofy.

Go for it if you like, but better still try some high quality in ear monitors. They are far more convenient and still provide good performance.

rw

I say keep wearing them, what do kids know??? so what, they prefer the junk at Target, you put a little more thought into sound quality.
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier
    Adcom GDV-870 DVD-A/CD player
    Yamaha S1800 DVD/SACD player
    Panasonic DMP-BD60K blu Ray player
    PSB Image series speakes s/s
    Dayton RSS210HF 8" reference sub
    Hitachi 46" HD projector screen

Even the PA2V2 marks you....You're drifted right into Nerd-Land!

Welcome to the neighborhood! My name's Auricauricle! This is the wife and our cat Bean-o. Who wants a beer?

popachubby:
    Real audiophiles don't care about cool or uncool. The sound is what matters.
    Auric:
    I'll have one of those beers as long as it's not one of those woosie light beers.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Suspended
    Yeah, you're a nerd That must leave you with a serious headband mark in your hair, you do have hair, right? Aw... keep doing it, I bet it catches on.

Hahaha, you hit it on the head Peabody. Possibly the best argument for NOT wearing full size....the infamous headband head!! I simply incorporate it into the overall styling of my hair...perhaps our million dollar idea has arrived...

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

on an airplane

i can see using the full-on noise cancelling 'phones but on the street, NERDVILLE! with such good IEMs as shure and etymotic (probably better) i see no reason to draw attention to myself that way. people point and laugh now the way it is.

the etymotics are quite comfortable and isolate the ouside noise quite effectively. at about 90 bucks, cost effective too.
    ...regards...tr

Well you can always cover the phones with hair and call yourself Princess Lea...
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

hahahaha excellent....Princess Lea inspired phones...

Thread Information