Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New House Audio Room Set up

Ok, so for PC and the others who are curious, this is the new room I've had to put my stereo into. I can't say I'm thrilled at the moment. Though in the last room I did have a long time to set up the speakers in the perfect position and get the seating right. The old room was small, and I couldn't play music as loud. But I'm not having the best of time with the new room even though I can play music much louder now. Which is awesome... but.

Dimensions are ~11.5ft wide, ~17 long, ~8ft high. Speakers so far are about 7ft apart, and I sit about 9ft back. Well, ears are about 9ft back. I just tried with no toe i during these photos, but didn't like it. Now I can't find the position I had them in. Need to tape it out next time. And I have masking tape too. Damn.

Well, here you go, to laugh at. Also, room isn't that pretty. Doesn't really have to be. Has to be functional. And I've got no other place to store my DH bike, and I've got this brown leather thing that is long and comfy but has the faint ode'de'cat'urine if you stick your nose in it. (stupid mom's cat and house sitting)

Anyways, There are four windows and one large opening into the kitchen.

I warn you though, this interior design isn't going to win any awards. It is much worse looking than my old place, which makes me sad, but...at this time, being here less than month, I suppose I can't complain. Hey Stone beer is cheaper than here than in NorCal at least. yeah, anyways...hope these don't make you go blind.

Any suggestions are welcome, ummm..speaker placement suggestions. Or if any forum members live near Upland and have a free weekend morning and want to help me with step up, you're welcome to come over. I'll buy the beer, or make pancakes, or something for the help.

ugh, after posting this i just put them back to no toe in. does create a huge sound stage....maybe too big. bass seems more responsive though out the range...but..ugh, so frustrated. best just leave alone till later and finish my wonderfully crafted ale of arrogance.

oh.... just pulled the chair back a couple feet, sounds better.hummm

prob best if i just finish my beer and put on another record.

I'm sure you'll get it all worked out. For a bachelor's crib it looks quite domesticated.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    I'm sure you'll get it all worked out. For a bachelor's crib it looks quite domesticated.
    LOL - I'm married. Wifie has her own room though. With a nice set up of her own actually, thanks to me. But, yeah, no bachelor here. But we just the back door to the cottage more than the front, so no reason to care too much about the mess. And it looks better when chairs are in place.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Pics look good man, quit worrying so much. Room has excellent potential. You may have to bring the speakers out from the corners. From the photo's placement, I would try out from the back wall by at least a couple feet and away from the side walls by a foot. It may bring them close to your cabinet, but at this point who cares. Just try...

IRG
    I agree with Poppachubby here, the speakers seem a bit too close to the side walls, and maybe too close to the back wall.

But overal, I like your room. The one I'm working on now, believe me, is much, much lower end, lol. But a small house with 3 kids, I'm lucky to have anything. I also share it with a furnace. So when I get it all together, I'll have to time music listening around when it's on. Fortunately it's a new high efficiency furnace, but still. I'll need to add some more sound absorption too, what are the things you have on the walls behind the speakers? Look low tech, but I'm sure they help.

Overall I like your setup a lot, I'm the last to crticize here!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Looks good bro, I'm surprised moving your chair back helped with the sound?
    Are those Monitor Audio's? I believe MA uses dual chamber reflex designs in some of their towers...that's my favorite design for bass - semi-sealed sound with some of the benefits of a ported system...Anyway, those suckers like to breath, so you might find they like to be out from the back wall a few feet -

As for toe - in, well, at 9 feet back, 7 feet apart I could see why toe-in would collapse the soundstage a bit - you might be losing some detail though, especially around the crossover region of the drivers.

I actually had to go out and buy a collapsing chair for listening in my system - couldn't put the large sectional in a spot that satisfied the spouse, and couldn't pull the speakers out from the wall another foot.

Keep at it. Looks good.

Adam, check out this link. Check out the Golden Cuboid and read about the rule of thirds. You may need to get a smaller cabinet to house your gear, in order to properly accomodate your speakers. Oh ya, as for toe-in, NO toe-in. Room isn't wide enough to cope with that.

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...g=Room+Setup+4

Looks ok to me Adam. Is it possible to put your gear on either the left or right wall and have the speakers only on the back wall? That way you may be able to position your speakers better and get a better sound stage. Thats how I have my speakers....gear on the left wall, speakers with back wall sound treatment only, on the back wall. No toe in, speakers about 8 ft apart and nothing but a fabulous deep and rich sound stage between the speakers. Try it if you can.

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm going to remove the spikes and play with a verity of set up options this weekend.

One thing, when I move the speakers out from the wall the bass fades fast. but maybe moving them out further will help. Wifie doesn't care what the room looks like, so I can do whatever I need.

I'm going to try to get a curtain rod up on all the walls and a very thick fabric to hang to deal with high frequency reflections. if I cut the fabric into smaller pieces I should be able to open enough spots as well for some reflections.

I can move the equipment off to the side no problem.

As for no toe in. When I did that, it did sound wonderfully open, but snare drums started to wonder and lack any hit.

Well, I'll play around and let you all know how it goes.

Think I need some bass traps of are there enough windows and openings to let the bass breath, so to speak?

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    Think I need some bass traps of are there enough windows and openings to let the bass breath, so to speak?
    No. Bass traps are for essentially neutralising boomy or over active low frequencies. You said the bass diminished when you moved the speakers out, so for now, no traps. I would start with only 2 or 4 coverings/tapestries to start, and use them symmetrically in the room. Also try behind the cabinet to see if that helps...

It's alot of work but it can be fun. Once the results start happening, and you get control over the room through understanding, you'll be glad you put the time in.

Please read the link I posted for you, it's full of great stuff.

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm going to remove the spikes and play with a verity of set up options this weekend.

One thing, when I move the speakers out from the wall the bass fades fast. but maybe moving them out further will help. Wifie doesn't care what the room looks like, so I can do whatever I need.

I'm going to try to get a curtain rod up on all the walls and a very thick fabric to hang to deal with high frequency reflections. if I cut the fabric into smaller pieces I should be able to open enough spots as well for some reflections.

I can move the equipment off to the side no problem.

As for no toe in. When I did that, it did sound wonderfully open, but snare drums started to wonder and lack any hit.

Well, I'll play around and let you all know how it goes.

When you play music go to the corners and see if bass is hanging out there. I put fabric across my corners from top to bottom in the back of the room and it took care of the bass reflections that was there. Its cheap to. You may have gotten use to the bass when speakers where closer to the wall but its not natural, only the bass bouncing back. Monitor Audio's are known for the bottom end they produce so you may want to move them out any ways seeing you have floor standers. You may have to get use to not hearing the reflections of the bass, but you will have a more balanced sound that way which will produce a smoother speaker. If you can, go to Home-depot. They usually have a big box in the carpet department with these huge rugs that cost $19. If you can get one for the back wall and one each for the side walls that will take care of any and all reflections. You may not want to get your room too dead, so remember the bigger the rug, the deader the sound will be. I got lucky. When we lived in North Carolina, we had these really nice oriental rugs over the hard wood floors. When we moved to St. Louis wife had no use for them, so I put them up in my two channel room and they work great.

frenchmon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    ...you get control over the room through understanding,...

Thats the key.

frenchmon

Adam, check out this link. Check out the Golden Cuboid and read about the rule of thirds. You may need to get a smaller cabinet to house your gear, in order to properly accomodate your speakers. Oh ya, as for toe-in, NO toe-in. Room isn't wide enough to cope with that.

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...g=Room+Setup+4

So, I used the calculator to set up the speaker placement in the room.

Right off the bat on the JRDG, KingRex, TT, everything had big space and was just too bright. Bass response was cleaners, but the music lacked thickness. It also lacked black space and warmth. So, what did I think so, but out with the JRDG and in with the AVA OmegaStar and with the Omega III pre-amp. With a darker, thicker, slower amp, and with the speaker grills off, well, things started to come together. Problem solved?. Bass lacked punch before, but now had some kick!. I was using LCD SoundSystem as test. It needed thump.

So, switch out the AVA Omega III amp and put the HQ-1 with Granite Audio #560 power cord, and the thump and presences of the music came forth from the

I've got to test a couple more records, but it seems the hisp, lisp distortion hasn't shown up with this new speaker set up.

I'm still not sure I like it, but, thanks PC for the suggestion. I'll give it a week to grow on me.

Maybe that bass you're missing was reinforcement from the corner placement.

I personally don't care for the equilateral triangle portion of the golden section concept. I've found more happiness with the speakers farther away from the listener than the distance between them.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Maybe that bass you're missing was reinforcement from the corner placement.

I personally don't care for the equilateral triangle portion of the golden section concept. I've found more happiness with the speakers farther away from the listener than the distance between them.
    Actually, with this new set-up has punch. well, with the HQ-1. And bass is much clearer/cleaner. Well, I'll have to write more soon.I can't now. Watching the Hogfather and now The Color of Magic. Really great stuff actually....yep..watch it.

Right on Adam. I don't use the Cuboid perfectly either. With young kids running about, I can't have my speakers out that far from the wall. Anyhow, that link was more for comprehension and to give you a starting point. Glad things are sounding better. I think the room is killer and will make a mint man-cave.

Right on Adam. I don't use the Cuboid perfectly either. With young kids running about, I can't have my speakers out that far from the wall. Anyhow, that link was more for comprehension and to give you a starting point. Glad things are sounding better. I think the room is killer and will make a mint man-cave.

How much to fly from your place to mine? I need man cave help.

haha man-cave, I like! We should have a man cave gathering

Chubbs, you have Tony in your signature!!

Actually, with this new set-up has punch. well, with the HQ-1. And bass is much clearer/cleaner. Well, I'll have to write more soon.I can't now. Watching the Hogfather and now The Color of Magic. Really great stuff actually....yep..watch it.
    Indeed. I'm not a fan of a lot of wall/corner reinforced bass. In my room with 12 feet along the wall behind the system, my speakers are 3 feet out from the back and 3 feet over from the sides.

Ajani
    So, I used the calculator to set up the speaker placement in the room.

Right off the bat on the JRDG, KingRex, TT, everything had big space and was just too bright. Bass response was cleaners, but the music lacked thickness. It also lacked black space and warmth. So, what did I think so, but out with the JRDG and in with the AVA OmegaStar and with the Omega III pre-amp. With a darker, thicker, slower amp, and with the speaker grills off, well, things started to come together. Problem solved?. Bass lacked punch before, but now had some kick!. I was using LCD SoundSystem as test. It needed thump.

So, switch out the AVA Omega III amp and put the HQ-1 with Granite Audio #560 power cord, and the thump and presences of the music came forth from the

I've got to test a couple more records, but it seems the hisp, lisp distortion hasn't shown up with this new speaker set up.

I'm still not sure I like it, but, thanks PC for the suggestion. I'll give it a week to grow on me.

Adam, are those MMGs I'm seeing in the pic???

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Adam, are those MMGs I'm seeing in the pic???
    Yes - broken MMG speakers - so they are used to reduces reflections. I stuffed them full of egg foam.

Ajani
    Yes - broken MMG speakers - so they are used to reduces reflections. I stuffed them full of egg foam.
    HAHAHA

OK....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information