New "Hi-Fi Tuning Fuses"

Printable View

• 08-27-2009, 11:09 AM
    Auricauricle
    Call me Mr. Cheapskate...

Before I get on the fuse bandwagon, I started today off with a good cleaning. The Polks (7c) use what appears to be BUSSAGC 2 250V (?) fuses. These speaks were purchased second hand and the fuses and holders were pretty grungy. I removed the things (and spent 45 minutes trying to remember where I put 'em) and gave the prongs a good scrubbing and polishing. The same treatment was applied to the fuses. Although the result brought everything to a less-than-gunky shine, they are hardly pristine. Still, the fuses were replaced and the rig was fired back up.

Hard to tell yet if there is a discernable difference, but at this point it was worth a shot. Because the amp is in much better condition, that will go to second tier on the Priority List.
  • 08-27-2009, 11:47 AM
    emaidel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    I started today off with a good cleaning. .

Though I've never done it, the instructions for my Parasound PLD-1100 preamp suggest disconnecting all interconnects and cleaning the contacts about once a year to remove corrosion. Somehow, it seems to me, that since the connections are as tight as they are that corrosion is very unlikely to occur, but that's "what the book says." In my case, I've changed interconnects so often, that cleaning them is rarely a consideration.

The ad hype for the Hi-Fi tuning fuses actually suggests installing them in one direction, then removing them and reversing them to determine in which position they sound better. Considering that I replaced five fuses in my amp, the possible variations are so numerous that I simply can't be bothered. Had I simply replaced one fuse, then I might give it a try, but five? No way!

I also did some more listening today and found another benefit to the installation of these fuses. When comparing the CD to the SACD layer on several hybrid discs, the difference is now much more apparent than it was before. That said, I believe that the fuses make the biggest difference with quality recordings, as the improvement on SACD's is quite remarkable. Then again, I guess this is all in my head...
  • 08-27-2009, 11:50 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by emaidel
    Two of my friends were over my house last night for dinner, and went into my "music room" to listen to my system. I told them I had "done something" to the system, but didn't tell them what it was, and just asked them to listen and see if they heard anything different. One, who hadn't heard the system in quite some time, said that it sounded great before, and still sounds great, but couldn't tell if anything was different.

The other, who had only heard it a few days ago, listened intently to the first movement of Morten Lauridsen's "Lux Aeterna," and immediately noticed a difference, ...

How do you like the Lauridsen recording? It's been well reviewed I believe.
  • 08-27-2009, 11:57 AM
    Auricauricle
    There are so many ways to skin this cat (think it's 120 for you, em) you can drive yourself plumb crazy. So far, the results of this spruce up is subtle or unnoticeable. Without the benefit of a true AB comparison it's hard to tell right now. Nevertheless, I do reckon that cleanliness of interconnects etc. is a matter of oversight oftentimes. I do clean my discs (with Simichrome) which does improve their performance--but then again, as you succinctly said, "I guess this is all in my head"....

Wassup Fean-o?!
  • 08-27-2009, 11:59 AM
    emaidel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
    How do you like the Lauridsen recording? It's been well reviewed I believe.

I like it a great deal. Aside from a splendid performance, the sound is lush and full, and hardly characteristic of what some call "digital glare." And yes, it was well reviewed, and even had a Grammy nomination, though it didn't win.

Both of my guests last night have sung the piece numerous times before, and were quite impressed with the recording. I will be singing it this November as part of the Spartanburg Festival Chorus's fall performance. One of my two guests sings in the chorus, and the other is actually the conductor, and a doctor of music at Converse College here in Spartanburg, SC. He owns the disc himself, but was stunned at how good it sounded on my system, and is determined to upgrade his (all late 70's to mid 80's vintage stuff).
  • 08-27-2009, 12:21 PM
    Auricauricle
    While you're in Sparkle City, you oughtta take a drive to Brevard NC and check out the music there, em....
  • 08-27-2009, 01:10 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bfalls
    Apparently they're good for your car! I guessing your laptop or home computer's CPUs too.

Given that any computer radiates a good bit of EMI that makes perfect sense.

Quote:

Where does the trapped EMI go? I don't see a connection where it can be drained/grounded.

Like ERS paper, some is absorbed and some is diffused.

Quote:

Can see why I'm skeptical?

Yes. You've limited your reasoning within the box. Where it gets absorbed and diffused. :)

rw
  • 08-28-2009, 09:32 AM
    Auricauricle
    It's been a few hours since I applied the touch-ups to the fuses, etc. At this point--whether it's a placebo effect or not, I couldn't say--but there appears to be some discernible and qualifiable change already. I spent a couple of hours last night listening to Laurie Anderson's Strange Angels and Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball.

The LA was played in a crisp and cohesive fashion that presented much of the subtlety that makes her music so delightfully amazing. LA puts alot into her music, with little details that can be lost if one isn't listening. As well, her voice is multi-varied, and she can belt out or whisper as powerfully or silky-sweetly as any diva in the Met. Conversely, ELH's recording is an especially difficult one. Daniel Lanois' imprinteur well-nigh consumes the album, with plenty of reverb to present a very dense texture within. Many times I have listened to the music befuddled by it's rich density. Last night, much more of the material could be discerned and Harris' voice floated like a ghost above it all, even when the music itself was aloud to escape its etheral moorings now and then.

In sum, I have to say that cleaning up the fuse clips and giving the fuse-contacts a good going over was a good idea. Until I replace the fuses altogether, I would say it was a cost-effective and worthy alternative....
  • 08-28-2009, 10:11 AM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

In sum, I have to say that cleaning up the fuse clips and giving the fuse-contacts a good going over was a good idea. Until I replace the fuses altogether, I would say it was a cost-effective and worthy alternative....

Don't stop there! I've been regularly cleaning all component and cable contacts using Caig products for a long time. In fact, I still have a bit of Cramolin left over from the 80s. Oxidation happens and will accumulate on most any metal (although the rhodium connectors on the speaker cables seem to be immune). You know you've made progress as soon as you see the greenish-blue residue on your cleaning cloth - and it can make a difference. :)

rw
  • 08-28-2009, 10:46 AM
    Auricauricle
    I agree absolutely. Every once in a while (or blue moon, whichever comes first), the components are given a good buff-up, with pipe-cleaners, Simichrome, Deoxit, and Q-Tips in attendance. I also lube things up with a dab of Torumat's Contact Conditioner.

And thanks for the tip on Caig. I'll look in on that.
  • 08-28-2009, 10:53 AM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

And thanks for the tip on Caig. I'll look in on that.

You're already there! Caig Laboratories is the maker of Cramolin and DeoxIT.

rw
  • 08-28-2009, 10:59 AM
    Auricauricle
    Yeah, just noticed it when I did a websearch....Oh, yeah, I'm quick I am...Where's that bullet...?
  • 08-29-2009, 03:36 AM
    emaidel
    Quote:

My guess is that, if you've discerned this much difference from a cleaning, you're in store for a real treat if you try the Hi-Fi Tuning fuses. Prior to installing them, I removed the existisng fuses in my amp, and simply reversed all of them while I was checking to see what each fuse was, and to make sure the proper fuses were in their appropriate places. I thought I was out of my mind when I listened afterwards and heard a slight, but perceptible difference in clarity. but after reading your post, I suspect I wasn't crazy after all..
  • 08-29-2009, 09:30 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

There are so many ways to skin this cat (think it's 120 for you, em) you can drive yourself plumb crazy. So far, the results of this spruce up is subtle or unnoticeable. Without the benefit of a true AB comparison it's hard to tell right now. Nevertheless, I do reckon that cleanliness of interconnects etc. is a matter of oversight oftentimes. I do clean my discs (with Simichrome) which does improve their performance--but then again, as you succinctly said, "I guess this is all in my head"....

Wassup Fean-o?!

It's always the case for me that I couldn't afford the "shotgun" approach to improving the sound of my system. Also, I have learned over the years that you can nickel-and-dime yourself to the poor house by spending many small sums in the hope of small improvements that don't materialize, thereby loosing the opportunity for real, substantial improvement.

Thus my advice (and hifitommy's) that if you want to try pricey fuses in you amp, start with those directly in the actual signal path or at least, downstream of the power supply rather on the input side. After all, the PS provides thousands of micro-Farads of capacitance moderating the electrical flow; it make more sense to me, if you feel that a cheap fuse is an unwanted filter, put downstream of the big reservoir.
  • 08-29-2009, 09:50 AM
    hifitommy
    added circuitry
    quick a/b comparisons arent always the best way to evaluate audio. i say clean the contacts at the fuses and listen for a long time, then clean again and repeat with the tuning fuses for a long time. these long periods of listening will reveal more than the rapid switching. the cleaning of the contacts levels the playing field, you wouldnt want to start by listening to conacts that have had a chance to build up any corrosion or dirt.

rapid switching has its uses but for subtleties, long termn listening is the more revealing of the two.