Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Just use one set of speaker for 2ch. Don't mix speakers.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by cgibsong002
    A DAC is in my future. I still want to get an interface for my recording needs as well as a higher quality dac... but for now I think I've got things covered. I'll give an update once I get my Sherwood hooked up.
    A good DAC can be pricey. What do you have in mind?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Just use one set of speaker for 2ch. Don't mix speakers.
    Why do you say so? I'd think two sets of speakers would fill in each others' gaps in whatever frequencies they'd be short in and really make things nice a full sounding. Which is what I noticed yesterday when I tested it out. I didn't try it with just the Energy's alone though... haven't had enough time to experiment.

As for the DAC, I wasn't planning on anything super fancy. Just something simple that gets the job done. Emu has a few nice ones for $200 and under. I'm not necessarily concerned about this right now though, it might be a few months.

Forum Regular
    i tried hooking my drums up to the sherwood through the phono hookups... sounded horrible. then i found out phono is for a record player i guess? What's the difference?

Also, still curious about how i can go about stacking my stuff. how much space does this gear need to cool properly? Don't want to overheat it

Mixing different speakers is bad for sound. Your mixing different tonalities. I don't think you will find a person on this forum that will advocate using different speakers in a music set up let alone home theater.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    The "phono" input has an extra preamp stage specifically for turntables. Phono cartridges have such a low signal they need additional stepping up before entering the receiver preamp.

The receivers you have shouldn't put off much heat so you should be alright as long as there is some reasonable ventilation and the vents on the unit are not covered. Amps and receivers capable of higher current output are typically the ones who need big space for venting all that heat.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Mixing different speakers is bad for sound. Your mixing different tonalities. I don't think you will find a person on this forum that will advocate using different speakers in a music set up let alone home theater.
    ah, so its mixing different brands that's generally bad, or would you still even want to just stick with 2 speakers for just music regardless of the second set?
    i kind of got what you're saying once i started A/Bing. Both sets together gave the sound more depth, but something seemed off about it. Too complicated, and sounded nice and simple.. very good with just the energy's.

The receivers you have shouldn't put off much heat so you should be alright as long as there is some reasonable ventilation and the vents on the unit are not covered. Amps and receivers capable of higher current output are typically the ones who need big space for venting all that heat.
    well that's the thing both of them are vented through their top. they each have maybe 1/2" feet, so they're have a 1/2" gap only to let the bottom one vent. And then I wanted to put one of my BA speakers on top, which wouldn't cover the whole vent, but it would be nearly right on the vent.

Suspended
    I'd set it up the way you need it but keep a watch for the first few times you use it. Touch it occasionally while playing and as long as it's not so hot you can't keep your hand there it should be fine. Actually, I've heated some amps up to hot to touch and they were fine but heat, or excessive heat, is not good for electronics.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I'd set it up the way you need it but keep a watch for the first few times you use it. Touch it occasionally while playing and as long as it's not so hot you can't keep your hand there it should be fine. Actually, I've heated some amps up to hot to touch and they were fine but heat, or excessive heat, is not good for electronics.
    oh yeah, i know this. i was going to just set it up and test, but i figured you guys here were pretty knowledgeable and i might as well ask first. i wasn't sure if this older equipment used up more or less heat.

EDIT: oh, to double check... is it enough to just test the face for heat, or should i take the top receiver/speakers off and test the top where the vent is?

Suspended
    You probably aren't going to tell much from the face. If the sides are metal you can check there.

Forum Regular
    so an update after having the Energy's for a while now. They sound amazing, but I've got one problem. My one speaker occasionally cuts in and out. Not fully cutting out, but a bit of static (not sure how to describe it) as if there's a bad connection somewhere. I don't believe it's my receiver. I'm using the Sherwood and I had the same problem through both the A channel and B channel. Is there anything that could likely be the problem? Or could this be anything? Additionally, is it possible that the speaker wire could be getting interference? My wire runs right past a whole range of equipment from audio equipment, to guitar amps, to my computer. It's just odd that sometimes it'll constantly be cutting in and out, and then there's times when I can listen to a whole album and not notice it once.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    so an update after having the Energy's for a while now. They sound amazing, but I've got one problem. My one speaker occasionally cuts in and out. Not fully cutting out, but a bit of static (not sure how to describe it) as if there's a bad connection somewhere. I don't believe it's my receiver. I'm using the Sherwood and I had the same problem through both the A channel and B channel. Is there anything that could likely be the problem? Or could this be anything? Additionally, is it possible that the speaker wire could be getting interference? My wire runs right past a whole range of equipment from audio equipment, to guitar amps, to my computer. It's just odd that sometimes it'll constantly be cutting in and out, and then there's times when I can listen to a whole album and not notice it once.
    Make sure that no exposed cable is touching. Both at the receiver and the speaker. Are you using termination? If your plugs are able to touch they will create a static noise and/or cut out. Cover one plug with a piece of Saran or something of the like.

IF its happining with one speaker, and not the other and on both the a channel and the b channel with the same speaker...then you have pinpointed it down. If it where me, I would open the speaker if I could, to look at the wiring to make sure it all looked ok. You could very well have a loose connection inside.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    I was going to open it up.. but these speakers are fairly new and might be under warranty. But would it even be worth worrying about the warranty or should I just open it up and take a look? I'm decent with electronics and soldering.

Suspended
    Yes, worry about the warranty. If they are fairly new it shouldn't be a speaker but if it is did you buy locally? Switch speaker wires on the back of the receiver, left/right, if the problem stays with the same speaker then you know it's the speaker. If the problem switches to the other speaker then you know it's the receiver or something else upstream. Don't give the company any reason to void your warranty, if it's the speaker make them fix it not you.

Check your RCA connections to make sure they are plugged in tight and switch them around. Sometimes if using cheap RCA's they will go bad. Get a bad or broken connection.

Also, if using bare wire for speakers be sure the bare end is only a 1/3 of an inch or so to prevent any touching of the other terminal or wire. Really importent to keep the bare wire short if the receiver uses the old spring loaded type connectors opposed to a binding post.

If you got a warrenty, your problem is solved. MrP I think he has nailed it down to the one speaker.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    If you got a warrenty, your problem is solved. MrP I think he has nailed it down to the one speaker.
    the only thing i can think of aside from it being the particular speaker is the speaker wire. I have not changed that, though I don't really see how that could be failing me. It's good wire. I bought the speakers online though. I wonder if I'll have to pay shipping charges back to them.. in that case, a warranty doesn't help much if I have to pay anyway. I'll look into it.

the only thing i can think of aside from it being the particular speaker is the speaker wire. I have not changed that, though I don't really see how that could be failing me. It's good wire. I bought the speakers online though. I wonder if I'll have to pay shipping charges back to them.. in that case, a warranty doesn't help much if I have to pay anyway. I'll look into it.
    You may want to go ahead and check the speaker wire...switch it out. IF that's not the problem, then I would call up the seller to see if you need a RMA number so you can send them back. Have you hooked up your Boston Acoustics to the same channels to see if they have the same problem just in case it is your receiver.

Forum Regular
    yeah.. I'll have to try out those suggestions. I'm away on vacation now, I'll have to double check when I get home.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information