AR Newbie Registered Member

new to the community

Hi Community, I am new here. How's everyone? I live in PhoenixAZ where the heat of the summer broils. I have a little more than casual interest in audio stuff... vintage componentry is my deal. I shop alot @ GW where great finds happen. Currently I am restoring some Realistic solo 3Am speakers ie. refinishing, new speaker cloth, etc, They sound ok but am considering recapping the crossover due to their age. I don't expect them to sound monsterous but will go nicely with a realistic sta 47 @12Watts RMS. At my age I am still young enough to try new things like learning to play drums. I have family members and friends who are wonderful musicians. I want to be able to join in. Well, enough about me for now. Once again, Hi everyone.
    Big MC.

Suspended
    Welcome to AR. Several here like to play with the vintage.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Welcome. Been spinning a Realistic R-8000 lately...

Chicago IL
    A true Realistic fan!

Suspended
    My first receiver was a Realistic STA-78. I wish now I would have kept it for sentimental reasons. It was a good looking receiver with walnut cabinet and black face, when everything else was still silver back in 78/79. Large lighted analog dial.......

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    My first receiver was a Realistic STA-78. I wish now I would have kept it for sentimental reasons. It was a good looking receiver with walnut cabinet and black face, when everything else was still silver back in 78/79. Large lighted analog dial.......
    Wow, I just googled the model to jog my memory and what a blast I just got. I can't say for sure about exact model number, but this was the Living Room Stereo when I was growing up along with a matching wood set of little speakers.

This stereo is now in the family cabin in the Poconos, where it has sat for close to 30 years. This thing is in sub temps half the year and toasty warm in summer months. The last time I was there, instead of flipping on the el cheapo boom box that is in normal use, I decided to turn on the old stereo I loved as a kid. It's tough to tune much in on the mountain but there are a few strong rock stations from Wilkes Barre that I was able to tune in. Of course the volume pot is a little flakey, with a few quick rotations, I got sound. Even the speakers still sound good. I cranked it up and left it on the whole time I was there. Now I am curious as to what the model is.

Edit: Just googled some more and I am almost certain it was the 77.

Big MC, welcome and enjoy.

Welcome to AR big mc.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Welcome to AR!
    Always glad to have another vintage zealot on board.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Forum Regular
    Welcome! Vintage is cool and I wish RadioShack still carried audio "stuff" the way they used to. It was great for audio buff and the DIY'er. The STA-300 sounded pretty good to me.

Suspended
    Radio Shack's advantage was being in every little town or nearby. They carried some decent entry level gear but nothing that I'd lose sleep over not being able to get today or being able to match in another brand from some other mass merchant.

well the oldest thing I got is a Marantz 2240 and I love it anyways ... welcome aboard O and I recently moved to Mesa, AZ ... and do you know of any speaker show room in Arizona??
    Last edited by BallinWithNash; 03-16-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Thread Information