Thread: ebay scam?

Forum Regular

ebay scam?

Hello everyone, been listening to, reading, and learning everything I can since finding this forum and starting my search for new speakers a couple of weeks ago. Am narrowing down my choices daily - thanks for all the good info! Recently I jumped into an auction on ebay for some B&W CDM 9NT speakers and watched its progress. At the end of the auction I guess there was a problem with the winner and I was offered a second chance to buy the speakers at a really low price. Unfortunately, there were two different parties claiming to be the sellers of the item number. This and the low price have put me off of the deal altogether. Just wondering if anyone has any similar experience with ebay or any useful advice. Thanks and keep the good info coming.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pkats
    Hello everyone, been listening to, reading, and learning everything I can since finding this forum and starting my search for new speakers a couple of weeks ago. Am narrowing down my choices daily - thanks for all the good info! Recently I jumped into an auction on ebay for some B&W CDM 9NT speakers and watched its progress. At the end of the auction I guess there was a problem with the winner and I was offered a second chance to buy the speakers at a really low price. Unfortunately, there were two different parties claiming to be the sellers of the item number. This and the low price have put me off of the deal altogether. Just wondering if anyone has any similar experience with ebay or any useful advice. Thanks and keep the good info coming.
    Common scam. Dont bite, as you will give up your money, and never get the goods. You could email the original seller using the tools that Ebay provides. Then see what kind of response you get.

I would be leery of anything though. Incidently what kind of feedback record did the auction seller that you were bidding on have? That can be an indication if they are pulling anything funny.

Could also be that some sellers us one name on Ebay and have an actual store with another name. There are scams from time to time though very rare. I've been buying and selling on Ebay for several years without problems. Make sure you always communicate through Ebay on the website to the seller and not an email that may be listed in the auction.

Also if you pay via Paypal your are protected through Paypals buyers protection. Then make sure you use your credit card for backup protection in that you can file a dispute through your cc company in the unlikely event that Paypal doesn't refund you.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaiguitar
    Could also be that some sellers us one name on Ebay and have an actual store with another name. There are scams from time to time though very rare. I've been buying and selling on Ebay for several years without problems. Make sure you always communicate through Ebay on the website to the seller and not an email that may be listed in the auction.

Also if you pay via Paypal your are protected through Paypals buyers protection. Then make sure you use your credit card for backup protection in that you can file a dispute through your cc company in the unlikely event that Paypal doesn't refund you.
    Are you kidding? Scams rare on Ebay? Please. I buy, but mostly sell on ebay. Fraud is EVERYWHERE. If you have a seller that sells with one name, but then tries to do a "second" chance auction w/another name, that is FEE Circumvention and can result in both parties losing their accounts. You are correct to only communicate via Ebay. This is the only way that ebay will back you up on legit transactions. If you go off reservation, you are on your own.

Ebay is excellent place to get a great deal, but just like anything, be very careful. I would no more buy my audio equipment from a second chance offer that originates from a different person than the original seller, than buy my equipment from some guy in a parking lot with "great prices".

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Are you kidding? Scams rare on Ebay? Please. I buy, but mostly sell on ebay. Fraud is EVERYWHERE. If you have a seller that sells with one name, but then tries to do a "second" chance auction w/another name, that is FEE Circumvention and can result in both parties losing their accounts. You are correct to only communicate via Ebay. This is the only way that ebay will back you up on legit transactions. If you go off reservation, you are on your own.

Ebay is excellent place to get a great deal, but just like anything, be very careful. I would no more buy my audio equipment from a second chance offer that originates from a different person than the original seller, than buy my equipment from some guy in a parking lot with "great prices".
    No, not kidding at all. You'll find that people talk about it more than it actually happens. If a seller is doing that all one has to do is report it.

As with anything take measures not to get ripped off. I was ripped off at a Sears store by an emplyee that took my card number and used it, but they were caught and fired and the charges were removed. Never in 8 years on Ebay have I been ripped off. They also have some simple tutorials you can take to show you what to watch out for. But in any case if you pay the way I specified above you are safe. The person ripping you off will be caught most of the time, and if it is their account they will be suspended. But like I said it rarely happens when you consider the millions of transactions giong on with Ebay.

Only deal with sellers having 99% or higher feedback, maybe 98%. And always protect yourself and you'll be fine. The people losing on Ebay are people that don't take the time to read policies and do their research, then they blame Ebay and Paypal for thier own mistakes. That being said there are tons of sellers selling audio that have horrible feedback.

Yep, very common scam. Every time I bid on a guitar that sells for over $1000 I get 5-6 'second chance offers' from various people claiming they are the seller and I can still buy it as long as I wire the money to Nidmbmambewey and never, ever try to contact them through ebay.

Yeah, I'll jump right on that. You want my ATM card and PIN also while we're at it?

Out of several hundreds of guitars I've bid on not one second chance offer. Just because one or one hundred get defrauded doesn't make it wide spread when you consider the total number of transactions.

The fact is Ebay is still the number one online auction site and no less safe than anywhere else.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I'm more likely to believe all the people claiming they avoided a scam (they have specifics, etc.), or that they got scammed, then you claiming that it's just not as bad as everyone claims, Mr. Disinformation. The solution is not to try to convince people to go there in spite of the dangers by playing down said dangers, the solution is to get eBay to frigging do something about it.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thread Information