• 06-11-2010, 07:47 PM
    Rkulp
    Need your expert advice to match me up with a pair of fronts.
    I am finally moving into a house and want to finish my home theater system.
    Right now I have Polk Monitor 30s that I plan on using for the rears and a Polk PSW10 subwoofer.

    I plan on having a "phantom center" so right now all I need is a decent pair of fronts. What should I look for when matching up my current speakers? Should I stay with Polk or can I go with another brand like Klipsch, Definitive, Mirage, etc.
  • 06-11-2010, 09:07 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I would recommend keeping with Polk unless you plan to change rears at some point. If you go with some like Klipsh or Def Tech which will have a drastically different sound than Polk the difference may be too obvious. Some feel the rears being a different brand aren't that important. It probably depends on how picky you are and how much 5 channel music and movies you will listen to. The rears aren't as active as the fronts but they will receive a full frequency response, less whatever you direct to sub.

    I do not have same series for rear but do use same brand.
  • 06-13-2010, 08:17 AM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rkulp
    I am finally moving into a house and want to finish my home theater system.
    Right now I have Polk Monitor 30s that I plan on using for the rears and a Polk PSW10 subwoofer.

    I plan on having a "phantom center" so right now all I need is a decent pair of fronts. What should I look for when matching up my current speakers? Should I stay with Polk or can I go with another brand like Klipsch, Definitive, Mirage, etc.

    Stay with Polks, its good to have all match.
    And rethink the phantom center choice, 90% of the sound in an HT comes from the center, its your most important speaker in HT, cant spend too much on one.
    Polk makes some inexpensive ones, better than nothing.:1:
  • 06-13-2010, 11:28 AM
    Mr Peabody
    I personally would recommend a center with no less than a 5 1/4" driver, even though you can set your receiver to small and adjust crossover. I know companies try to provide budget minded and space saving products but I feel anything smaller is a waste of money.
  • 06-13-2010, 06:46 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I personally would recommend a center with no less than a 5 1/4" driver, even though you can set your receiver to small and adjust crossover. I know companies try to provide budget minded and space saving products but I feel anything smaller is a waste of money.

    I agree with you on this!
  • 06-13-2010, 06:57 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I agree with you on this!

    Hey... it's a numbers game, it was bound to happen one of these days :)
  • 06-14-2010, 02:54 PM
    harley .guy07
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I personally would recommend a center with no less than a 5 1/4" driver, even though you can set your receiver to small and adjust crossover. I know companies try to provide budget minded and space saving products but I feel anything smaller is a waste of money.

    I agree too even though I have a center channel that some would think of as a cheap speaker heck it does a wonderful job and I have not done much to improve on this speaker. At the time I bought my paradigms and was building my theater I did not have room for the bigger paradigm center channel so I opted for this center after hearing it and it does a fine job as a center and was cheap to buy on sale. It has 6" woofers and 1" tweeter so it is about the limit I would want to go with how small a center to go with otherwise you would take a risk of dynamic compression on the lossless blue ray disks but this center just takes it and keeps on runnin good.
  • 06-14-2010, 04:02 PM
    luvtolisten
    The Polk Monitor 70's were on sale for one day (yesterday) at this site for $153 each. They do repeat the sales, and I've heard the the Monitors series is being replaced by a new line (maybe the TSi?), which means the Monitors series will be going on sale again. I have bought from these folks,(Monitor 40's, last year) with no problems.I would keep an eye on their prices, they do have sales. Right now they are offering $3 shipping.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-015-_-Product
  • 06-15-2010, 04:19 AM
    Worf101
    Hey
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I agree with you on this!

    WHERE IS MY TERRANCE AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH HIM!!!!!!!

    LOL.

    Worf
  • 06-15-2010, 11:01 AM
    pixelthis
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Worf101
    WHERE IS MY TERRANCE AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH HIM!!!!!!!

    LOL.

    Worf

    Prefrontal lobotomy.
    Found it had already been done, closed him back up.
    MAYBE a new personality ingram?:1: