• 03-23-2009, 01:29 PM
    Need to simplify the remote merry-go-round
    My parents came for a visit this past weekend with a specific request: give us something that works and is simple to use. Several years ago I swapped out a multi-component system for my father with a single good integrated, and this has worked out very well: far fewer buttons and he even lost the remote. I also switched them to Jitterbug phones (www.jitterbug.com) - another success because they actually use them. Since like many of you I am the family tech, it is now my task to simplify the mess that has become the TV room system.

Right now, they have what I cobbled together for them over the years: an older receiver, a sound bar, a DVD player, a Dish receiver, and a TV: all different brands and all with incompatible or crappy remotes. What they want is simplicity and one remote. While I could use a Logitech Harmony to tie it all together, after one look at it, it became clear that wasn't going to work for them. My parents aren't uneducated, but whenever they get something that's too complicated it just sits around - I think they pull some of this stuff out when we visit, just to make us think they actually use it.

Anyhow, I'm sure my situation isn't unique. What have some of you done for your family members that needed something simple? In my case, the budget isn't really an issue - if it actually gets used, that's what really matters.
  • 03-23-2009, 04:47 PM
    L.J.
    I found the Harmony 880 to be pretty simple to use and my 10 yr old & wife have no problem using it. They couldn't do anything with the system before I got the 880. I recently had my sis house sit and she watched a HD DVD with no problem. I was pretty shocked because she doesn't even know what a HD DVD is. When I asked her about it, she said that the movie had the HD DVD logo so she pushed "Watch HDDVD" on the remote.

You can actually program the remote to be as simple or complicated as you want. I also like how the look of the activities menu can be changed. You can choose large bold simple typing on a blue background making it very easy to read and use. The help button is pretty sweet too.
  • 03-23-2009, 05:31 PM
    topspeed
    I bought my parents an 880 and with the exception of them forgetting to place in on the base to recharge every once in awhile, it has worked very well. Honestly, I don't think you can get much easier.
  • 03-23-2009, 06:09 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Flyboy, if I can use a Harmony, your parents can. 'Nuf said.

Thank you please drive through.
  • 03-23-2009, 07:00 PM
    Kevio
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nightflier
    While I could use a Logitech Harmony to tie it all together, after one look at it, it became clear that wasn't going to work for them.

Which Harmony did you look at. What made it clear that it would not work?

The only simpler way I can think to meet the 1-remote requirement is to toss everything but the TV. Is that an option?
  • 03-24-2009, 04:18 AM
    Worf101
    What I use....
    I have the Harmony One, nobody uses it in the house but my luddite ole lady. Trust me, if she (despite having 3 degrees) can use it, anyone can use it effectively.

Da Worfster
  • 03-24-2009, 12:32 PM
    Well I showed them a picture of the Harmony 880 on a website and while I was explaining all the features, they both said that this was still too complicated. Don't get me wrong, the Harmony is, IMO, the best there is, but maybe I scared them off with my enthusiasm. Is there a simpler Logitech, or even another branded remote that still has the computer interface? The fewer buttons, the better. I would like to be able to program 3-4 buttons for each activity (watch TV, watch DVD, etc.), so I need the programmability, but for my parents it has to be much simpler.

Kevio, that was actually my thinking. If I can find a decent TV with built-in DVD player, that would simplify things quite a bit. When I added the receiver in the mix is when I lost them, I think. It's just that most DVD player / Receiver combos are pretty awful on sound. I was considering one of the ones from NAD since they've warmed up to the brand, but it even that may be overkill.

By the way, I'm not sold on keeping the sound-bar, either. Actually I wanted to pass that to my brother who needs to set up a system for himself. I'm intrigued by the z-vox boxes (http://www.zvoxaudio.com/). Some of them don't even need multichannel, they just matrix it from a stereo signal. Has anyone used these? Decent or not?
  • 03-24-2009, 01:03 PM
    Groundbeef
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nightflier
    Well I showed them a picture of the Harmony 880 on a website and while I was explaining all the features, they both said that this was still too complicated. Don't get me wrong, the Harmony is, IMO, the best there is, but maybe I scared them off with my enthusiasm. Is there a simpler Logitech, or even another branded remote that still has the computer interface? The fewer buttons, the better. I would like to be able to program 3-4 buttons for each activity (watch TV, watch DVD, etc.), so I need the programmability, but for my parents it has to be much simpler.

I have the Harmony 550 (both the xbox 360 version and the black version). I would dispell with a "features" chat. The nice thing with the 550 is that it is simple, and has a LCD display.

Want to watch TV? Click "Watch TV". It does the rest.
    Want to watch a DVD? Click "Watch DVD"
    Want to watch TiVO? Click "Watch TiVO"
    Want to listen to music? Click "Listen Music"

Buy it, set it up (about 20 min online w/laptop tethered to remote), then show them. My wife, and 3 children (8,10,12) have NO problem using the systems now. I grew tired of the litney of complaints about the various remotes we were using. Now we are down to 1 per TV.

It's practically idiot-proof. And if something doesn't work as it should, (maybe tv is on wrong input, etc), click "Help". It will trigger the remote to re-do the startup. It will change the inputs to what they should be.

Less selling, more action. Just get it, and set it up.
  • 03-24-2009, 03:07 PM
    E-Stat
    Time for stupid question for the experts
    While Dr. wifey has finally mastered the four remote (cable-AV receiver-TV-DVD) shuffle, would a Harmony actually be able to navigate all those feature specific remotes? Would it understand "Top Menu" for the Oppo to skip the stupid previews found on many discs? Or be able to switch video sources on a Samsung DLP from Cable to AV Receiver (for settings) to DVD? And control the aspect ratio?

I have always been loathe to double up on video cabling for common switching through the AV receiver. Which really wouldn't work for me since my NAD T763 does not have HDMI inputs.

rw
  • 03-24-2009, 03:28 PM
    L.J.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Stat
    While Dr. wifey has finally mastered the four remote (cable-AV receiver-TV-DVD) shuffle, would a Harmony actually be able to navigate all those feature specific remotes? Would it understand "Top Menu" for the Oppo to skip the stupid previews found on many discs? Or be able to switch video sources on a Samsung DLP from Cable to AV Receiver (for settings) to DVD? And control the aspect ratio?

I have always been loathe to double up on video cabling for common switching through the AV receiver. Which really wouldn't work for me since my NAD T763 does not have HDMI inputs.

rw

I only have experience with the 880 and it is fully adjustable. You can add or change anything you want. I have my Denon set up to open the disc tray each time I press play DVD. Or when I'm playing PS3 and my wife wants to listen to music, I press PS3/CD which adjusts my Yammie to output video from the PS3 but audio from the CD changer. It also has great learning features if you want a weird command that's only available on the manuf. remote. The display screen has 8 buttons that you can assign to each activity and you can place these in whatever order you want. Bottom line is that it can control everything, learn and can be fully adjusted to your preferences.

Let GB said, your good to go after the initial setup.
  • 03-24-2009, 03:34 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by L.J.
    Bottom line is that it can control everything, learn and can be fully adjusted to your preferences.

Let GB said, your good to go after the initial setup.

Kewl. Thanks for the info. It's always a PITA to switch sources in normally darkened room. While the list price of $250 is a touch high, Dell is selling the 880 for a hundred bucks. Might just have to get one. :)

rw
  • 03-25-2009, 05:06 PM
    atomicAdam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by L.J.
    "Watch HDDVD" on the remote. .

for the ......... Win!
  • 04-09-2009, 03:03 PM
    I ordered the 880. I'll play with it at home first, then invite my parents over for a movie night and l'll make up some excuse that I need to run off somewhere, give them a quick run of the basic features, and then let them sink or swim with it. Alternately, I'll let my 2 1/2 year old demo it for them, LOL.

If they really don't like it then I guess I'll be "stuck" with a new Logitech remote.
    :cornut:
  • 04-10-2009, 10:41 AM
    Auricauricle
    nf: Sorry that I'm late; I found this posting in Craigslist this afternoon and thought about your situation. It's a voice-activated remote that seems quite capable. Check the ad out!

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...110220967.html